Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 06:02 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,198 times

Advertisements

My ex brother in law suffers from manic depression. When he is stable, he holds a good job, he was able to complete his Master's Degree and almost finished his PHD in psychology. But when he cracks (doesn't take medication), he has delusions that he is Jesus Christ, and has feelings of grandeur, and invincibility.

Last month, he quit his job because he believed that he was not only Jesus, but a model and was about to get a modeling contract in Paris. He busted his phone, and smashed his car up. He was bringing homeless people into the home he was renting with another roommate, and was promptly thrown out.

He has been missing ever since. My sister and my niece filled out a missing person's report. So far, he hasn't been found. He has no phone, no money, no car and no home. Aside from filling out a missing person's report and checking hospitals and homeless shelters, what else can they do??

We are all so worried about him. He is a good man...just sick...

Any thoughts? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 07:19 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
I do know that in the case of an adult and in the absence of evidence of foul play, the police will not normally go to great lengths to investigate, as it is not a crime to voluntarily disappear. Once family members have investigated to the limited extent they know how, there is not much left. Therefore, I would recommend hiring a private investigator, if the family can afford it. If the private investigator is a retired police detective, for example, he would know all kinds of little tricks and avenues that you and I would never think of.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:34 PM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times
What you can do:

NAMI | NAMI Missing Persons Support

Quote:
What To Do / What Steps To Take

If you have a missing loved one with serious mental illness, the following steps and information may be helpful:

Step 1.) Notify your local police immediately of your missing loved one and provide them with all the information you can. If the person remains missing more than three (3) days, ask the police to place them on the FBI's National Computer (NCIC) list as an "endangered adult". This computer network provides information nationwide. The network will give you a police number to use when searching for your relative.

Step 2.) When missing persons with mental illness over age 21 are located, the police and other agencies cannot hold or ask that they be held against their will if they have not committed a crime. No one has the authority to force the person to seek aid or medical care against his or her will unless there is a medical guardianship or court order specifying what action to take when the individual is found.

Step 3.) Prepare a one-page flyer which includes a picture of the missing person, along with his or her vital statistics (age, height, weight, hair color, eye color, clothes last seen wearing, last known location, etc.).

Old 10-02-2013, 09:06 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
It's hard to "out think" a delusional thought process.

The guy is probably in distress and might seek out places where he felt safe, comfortable and accepted.

Call his childhood Hometown, a college campus town, any place he might have been comfortable.

Hope you find him soon.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
It's hard to "out think" a delusional thought process.

The guy is probably in distress and might seek out places where he felt safe, comfortable and accepted.

Call his childhood Hometown, a college campus town, any place he might have been comfortable.

Hope you find him soon.
Great post and suggestions, I agree.

Geez, what a nightmare

Old 10-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions...I will keep everyone posted..

Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Thank you so much for your post!!!

Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 AM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times
You're welcome. I hope you find him and he's okay.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:31 PM

14 posts, read 18,928 times
Aw, thats sad. Scary, too. I really hope hes okay! And that is a true manic depressive, quite extreme!

Old 10-05-2013, 08:12 PM

73 posts, read 222,115 times
Manic depression is treated with mood stabilizers, Depakote, Lithium or lamacal. Has he had any of these?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health