Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:31 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times

Advertisements

black outs are a sign of alcoholism and there is no cure
if you wonder Google AA's 20 questions
I am in recovery and would not ever want to go back
it took a lot of work but well worth it
alcoholism is progressive never gets better
drinking is also a symptom of alcoholism, not the disease
you can quit drinking and still be loopy as hell
recovery requires change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 02:34 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
The normal drinker can drink ONE drink per hour and never get drunk.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:52 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
black outs are a sign of alcoholism and there is no cure
if you wonder Google AA's 20 questions
I am in recovery and would not ever want to go back
it took a lot of work but well worth it
alcoholism is progressive never gets better
drinking is also a symptom of alcoholism, not the disease
you can quit drinking and still be loopy as hell
recovery requires change
Jesus christ not everyone who has a drink is an alcoholic! Do you not read the posts?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:20 PM

I think the 20 questions and the A.A.pamphlets are a bunch of garbage. Can you either control the amount once you start OR can you stay stopped on your own power when you really want to? If so, you ain't alky. That's what the A.A. book says over and over for the first 55 pages.

But once you get it, I'd agree that you've got it for life.

There's some non-A.A. folks who talk about moderation management for some folks. That sounds interesting.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Jesus christ not everyone who has a drink is an alcoholic! Do you not read the posts?
H/she was probably responding to one of your posts.

Quote:
Does this happen to anyone? Where you drink a bit and get to a point where you blackout
Drinking "a bit" does not result in blackouts. Either you're in massive denial about how much you drink or you just don't want any advice.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Drinking "a bit" does not result in blackouts. Either you're in massive denial about how much you drink or you just don't want any advice.
Yes, I am an alcoholic because I have blacked out 2-3 times OUT OF THE 1,000's of times I have had a drink. Yeah, that sounds totally legit and sounds like I have a big problem. *SARCASM*

Can a mod please close this thread this is starting to get ridiculous and nonsensical.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Drinking "a bit" does not result in blackouts.
I disagree with this adamantly due to my own experience. It depends on the drinker's physiology. Whether a hard drinker or a real alky, if a person's liver gets beat up enough, they can be in a blackout inside of two drinks and tolerance seems to follow suit.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
You guys do realize that blacking out is very very common these days in college campuses and people my age. Believe it or not I am actually a lot more tame than most of my peers and my age group.

So let me get this straight. You're saying if one hundred A holes black out because they drink to that excess you gotta be hundred and one? When you black out you can fall hit your head, choke on your own vomit, can be assaulted, get run over by a vehicle, killed by another etc. Just because a bunch of aholes are doing it doesn't mean you got to be part of the herd.
Good luck to you. While I don't know you I really hope you figure it out.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:26 PM

182 posts, read 195,242 times
Quote:
Yes, I am an alcoholic because I have blacked out 2-3 times OUT OF THE 1,000's of times I have had a drink. Yeah, that sounds totally legit and sounds like I have a big problem. *SARCASM*

Can a mod please close this thread this is starting to get ridiculous and nonsensical.
There are different types of "alcoholics"

I was/am a binge drinker. Meaning I am sober for weeks but when I drink, I don't want the party to stop. I HATE getting drowsy so I just continue drinking. Then to avoid the hangover I have a drink in the morning etc.

My general definition of alcoholic
- Gets in the way of your responsibilities. Missing school or work is obvious. But it's also about not being on your game, doing stuff half-ass because you are hung over. That doesn't make you an alcy but illustrates you are heading down that direction

Blackout is another obvious sign of not being able to control it. Eventually you will cross the line and physically hit/grab someone while blacked out or something more serious like (no joke) drive a car.

My high tolerance "blacked out but hyper" turned into a curse as I aged. People were unable to tell when I was mentally gone. Because while others pass out, I continue on.

Sorry, I do not know your age. Around my late 20's (I'm 30) I gave up trying to prove to others I was or I wasn't an alcoholic. It will just be me the rest of my life and I got fed up with the missing work/school, being sick after drinking for 2-3 days and being arrested.

Ask yourself
- Can you stay sober for 30 days? I mean truly
- Does the thought of a sober future (life) turn you off/make you laugh?
- Can you have fun at a party/get together without alcohol?

You might be too young to grasp these concepts but at some point you might (maybe won't have to) that alcohol plays too large of a part in your happiness. Doesn't make you an alcoholic but should raise a flag that your current lifestyle is not sustainable.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:38 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:

I never said everyone who drinks is an alcoholic
good grief
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health