Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 01:13 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times

Advertisements

That sounds like me.

I have difficulty hearing what people are saying, not because I don't hear but due to a difficulty in filtering out background noise or not recognising poorly heard words (due to an inability to 'find words').
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 09:59 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
That sounds like me.

I have difficulty hearing what people are saying, not because I don't hear but due to a difficulty in filtering out background noise or not recognising poorly heard words (due to an inability to 'find words').
Yep, that's what auditory processing disorder is like. I find parties excruciating b/c of the APD as well as the fact that I got gifted with just one vocal chord so no one can hear me either. It's like there's just no point in being there.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:12 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
This has been quite a revealing thread!

I should mention that most of the time I can hear and understand clear and well articulated speech. I do however have difficulty speaking in an understandable manner. I say things that I know what I'm talking about but that others misunderstand. My choice of words is poor at times. Mostly in a noisy and/or distracting environment. Yet this evening at a meeting I was asked to say something and I said I had difficulty expressing thoughts and feelings, that there was a disconnect between thoughts and expressing it. But the response was that I express myself well! Go figure. That is not the norm. Although, I do recall hearing myself say things and wondering were the heck that came from! It didn't come from my conscious thought - that I was aware of. Maybe I over-think things.

Last edited by 303Guy; 02-02-2015 at 01:22 AM..

Old 02-04-2015, 07:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
This has been quite a revealing thread!

I should mention that most of the time I can hear and understand clear and well articulated speech. I do however have difficulty speaking in an understandable manner. I say things that I know what I'm talking about but that others misunderstand. My choice of words is poor at times. Mostly in a noisy and/or distracting environment. Yet this evening at a meeting I was asked to say something and I said I had difficulty expressing thoughts and feelings, that there was a disconnect between thoughts and expressing it. But the response was that I express myself well! Go figure. That is not the norm. Although, I do recall hearing myself say things and wondering were the heck that came from! It didn't come from my conscious thought - that I was aware of. Maybe I over-think things.
Hah! I could've written that. Head-mouth coordination - somewhat lacking. This was evident in first grade by the way. We were required to read out loud to the class, and I always stumbled over the words. They thought I had a reading disorder. I went for testing. Turned out I was a natural speed-reader. Sadly, my mouth and mind don't communicate at the same speed, so I stammer when I try to read out loud. I also occasionally stammer when I try to articulate my thoughts verbally. My mind knows what it means. My mouth doesn't always.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:21 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
Quote:
That sounds like me.

This is me people will say something and I heard the words but have no clue what they said. Or people talking and I go off into something in my head. I do this with books too sometimes I read the same line over and over and cant process it for some reason.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I've never been tested, but I'm sure I was at least border line ADHD. Fortunately, in my day, I had ways to burn off the energy. I almost always walked to and from school, which was close to a mile. We had 15 minutes morning and afternoon recess, 1 hour lunch, and phy ed, so I could burn off some energy. PLus my mom sent us outside all the time, even in the middle of winter with plenty of snow on the ground.

I was a very happy kid and have never suffered from depression.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:55 PM

10 posts, read 12,882 times
I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 32 and suffered from Depression and Anxiety from as far back as i can remember.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:16 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I've never been tested, but I'm sure I was at least border line ADHD. Fortunately, in my day, I had ways to burn off the energy. I almost always walked to and from school, which was close to a mile. We had 15 minutes morning and afternoon recess, 1 hour lunch, and phy ed, so I could burn off some energy. PLus my mom sent us outside all the time, even in the middle of winter with plenty of snow on the ground.

I was a very happy kid and have never suffered from depression.
Augie, there is a book called Shadow Syndromes and they talk about what it's like to be borderline with several disorders such as ADHD and one of the conclusions they drew is that it can be an advantage to have a little bit of ADHD. That was actually the book that put me on the path of finding out what my problem was b/c I was reading that one desperate night in the library and I realized that I didn't just have a little bit of ADHD--I had a lot. So, I can see why you may not have had depression. I think of ADHD as being on a continuum, with the extreme ones at one end and the most boring people on God's green earth on the other lol. Also, what gives us anxiety and depression may not be the ADHD at all, but the comorbidities that exist alongside it.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:03 AM

87 posts, read 80,944 times
I am now 38, and was told by the doctors that I was "Hyper active" at 4 years old. I guess it meant ADHD. I was taking Ritalin back then. I stopped taking it in primary school and had to learn extra hard to achieve things. Today I still daydream a lot, Struggle to focus etc. My wife gets mad at me when I forget stuff...

I'm seriously thinking of taking Ritalin again after reading people's comments on it. I hold several certifications and diplomas and are good at my job, but I know I'm not 100%. Not as hyper anymore, but sometimes It feels like I have this turbo behind me, like I have to get this and that done asap...Then start dreaming about a new project all of a sudden etc...Sometimes my mind feels "tired" from all the thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health