Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 04:54 PM

849 posts, read 269,952 times

Advertisements

Eating for me is like going to the dentist....for a root canal...on your birthday!

I can't stand food. My refrigerator has ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise and water. My cabinets have crackers, tuna fish and peanut butter. There have been days where all I ate was a spoonful of peanut butter. Sometimes at work, I go out and grab a sandwich and it takes everything I have to eat half of it. Stouffers Macaroni and Cheese, single servings are the only thing in my freezer and it takes me two days to eat one of those. This basically started when my marriage went downhill. Now I am divorced with a new life, yet I still have this issue.

There was program on TV about this, but I missed it:
Seen At 11: ‘Food Disgust’ Causing More Adults To Be Repulsed By Meals « CBS New York

Can anyone relate, identify with this? If so what did you do about it? What caused it?

Last edited by Forum_Newbie; 08-03-2015 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 05:00 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Eating disorders are hard to overcome. Please talk to your doctor and get some professional help. I don't think this is something you can fix by yourself. It sounds like you need some therapy to resolve issues remaining from your marital problems and divorce. Please get some help before you have serious health issues as a result of this.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:11 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Never eating really GOOD tasting real food!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:13 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
OP: Is this a new behavior, or a lifelong issue ?

If it's new, one *might* conclude it's due to life events & will remedy on its own (as you recover from change & loss).
If it's a problem you've *always* had, more or less, then it could be a sensory (processing/modulation/integration) disorder.

Sensory disorders go by many names, since they have yet to be codified in the DSM-5.
Basically, people over- or under- react to sensory stimuli (whether gustatory (taste/flavor), olfactory (smell), tactile (touch), etc.).
It's not as well-studied as some other diagnoses-but it's neurological in origin, not a choice nor an act.
A lot of the literature out there on the subject refers to children rather than adults, but still, any info. is better than none.

Wiki link to Sensory processing Disorder-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensor...ssing_disorder

Here, it's called by the acronym "A.R.F.I.D.", which is a re-naming/alteration of previous DSM dx-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoida...ntake_disorder

Old 08-03-2015, 10:06 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
There are eating disorders and then there is disorder eating. The short version of the difference is that an eating disorder has little to do with food, food is the symptom, an eating disorder is a maladaptive coping skill, similar to using alcohol or drugs to "escape" .

Disorder eating is broad and can encompass a lot of causes. But typically is more about eating habits and the actual food.

However disordered eating can become a full blown eating disorder.

If you think you may have an eating disorder, I'd start with an appointment with my primary care physician and go from there.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:35 AM

849 posts, read 269,952 times
Thank you for the replies. I've battled my weight my entire life. Developed at very young age and always self conscious. Not a lot of self esteem.

I can honestly say I've always had some issue with food. Last year, with the divorce, I drank more alcohol and it certainly killed my appetite resulting in weight loss. Right now, I'm the smallest I've ever been my entire adult life and now I'm almost terrified to eat.

WeHa - I really identify with your comment maladaptive coping skill.
Cloven - Yes, I've had a lifelong issue with food. Thank you for the links. Knowledge is power.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:29 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
I'm not sure where you're located but The National Eating Disorder Association NEDA has a fabulous website that can help you to find a Dr, therapist, eating disorder program etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health