Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 949 times

Advertisements

So Im in advanced math by a year, and my family friend is in advanced math by 2 years. So I was doing my homework and my dad calls me downstairs and asks me if i took the placement test because he wanted me to be two years ahead. So I got really pissed off because the day I took it I told him that i took it and that I can even be 2 years ahead because we can't skip a main course. So when I told him that I already told him and that he just wasn't listening he got really mad. So he started comparing me to my family friend and I got really mad because she's better then me at things and my dad compares me to her always.

So I asked him why he always compares me to her, and that I don't like it and he got so defensive saying that Im not could and I should me more like her and that really ticked me off so i said that if you like her so much go adopt her because you would like her way more then you would like me as a daughter, and instead of being comforting and saying sorry he said forget about your phone forget about anything watch I'm taking away your phone and no more tv. I mean I didn't do anything so why am I getting so much hate. He literally lowers my self esteem everyday and does verbally harasses me and when i tell him that he's hurting my feelings he just gets mad and punishes me.

Sometimes I feel like committing suicide or running away, and once I told him that and he said if you want to live in this house don't show that drama. I don't get it I have a pluses in every class, I'm in advanced math, and I get like a 100 on every test but still I get treated like this. I don't know if its the asian mentality but it bugs me. What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:21 PM

3,959 posts, read 2,574,285 times
I'm sorry you and your dad are not getting along. I know first hand how difficult that is. Remember, this won't last forever. You sound like you have a good mindset- knowing he is not treating you well and that it really isn't you.

Maybe your dad pushes you believing that will make you work harder, not even seeing how stressful it is for you. It is not fair but life usually isn't fair.

I would suggest you talk to a school counselor, ask how to communicate with your dad, get along with and to show him you are doing your best.

Hang in there. This time will pass. You just need to connect with someone in person to help you navigate it all

Best wishes.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:47 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
There's nothing worse than being compared to someone else...it's cruel I think.
Be proud of who you are..... and what you can do,which is more than a large amount of people.
I don't know how old you are , but unfortunately you might just have to tolerate his belittling you until you're able to get a place of your own.
Realize though that what your fathers doing is wrong....not you. You should be proud of what you've already accomplished....keep that in mind, especially when dad's going on and on about someone elses. Refuse to let it bother you...you don't have to.
Do nothing but what you're doing already...you're great...only thing you need to try and change is that you let dad bring you down.
Good luck...sounds like you'll do well in the years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health