Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 11:02 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,021 times

Advertisements

A friend and I were having a discussion that it's normal for couples to lose their temper every now and then to break things in a heated argument. I was like its one thing to get mad and walk away to cool off. Breaking things is taking it a bit too far and wouldn't want it eventually escalated to physical abuse.

Growing up, I've seen my dad mad on rare occasions but never breaking anything
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 11:10 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,335,831 times
I could never understand why people would break things during an argument.

Breaking things cost money, Lol

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 08-08-2017 at 11:34 PM..

Old 08-08-2017, 11:20 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I could never understand why people would breaking things during an argument.

Breaking things cost money, Lol
lol Good point. Yeah, what's the logic, there? Why would someone break their own stuff, especially expensive stuff? What does breaking stuff do for them? Help release anger? Create more noise, the better to intimidate the other person with? What's the purpose of it?

Anyway, OP, to answer your question, no, it's not normal. It sounds like it's normal for your friend; he must have grown up with a certain amount of chaos in the house, to reach adulthood thinking that excessive anger, and breaking stuff, are normal.

It sounds like somebody in his life (maybe him?) needs anger management counseling.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:33 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,504 times
breaking things out of rage means you lack self control. And the next step after breaking things may be assaulting your SO or family members. I've only had one ex that broke things and got physical with me. And she was undiagnosed BPD. It definitely is not normal.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Nope. It denotes poor ability to regulate emotion.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:41 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,150,696 times
breaking things is a sign of anger management issues, and emotional immaturity. the breaker of things is frustrated and does not know how to handle the situation, thus breaking it like a mad baby boy.

if you know the couple, offer to them to go get some couples counseling, to help them get some tools to learn how to act with each other. this is the pitfalls of no one showing couples the way to be happy and respectful.

breaking things happens 'cause someone could not just stay quiet, bombarding the aggressor with confusion. poking and pushing on buttons, that one obviously knows what bad things are going to happen. This should be a deal breaker in a relationship.

how many broken cellphones i have had in my days, because I was verbally attacked and had issues in my relationship. two confused people acting like friggen childish HS kids, not knowing the limits of anger and frustration. Two things changed it for me, counseling is one.

the other was looking at a man walking down the street, on his cell phone, screaming at probably was his SO on the other end. Carrying on, in public, for all to see, he had no self control or embarrassment from how he was acting. Like a pure raving lunatic. Reminded me of me! that image plays forever in my mind, stopping me in my tracks , when I feel I am losing control. Life is much better now.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:56 AM

32 posts, read 54,518 times
It is not healthy behavior obviously, but as others have said yes it can become more dangerous than that if left unaddressed. My father used to scream, throw/break things and then this escalated to physical abuse towards my mom. The problem was that he lived in denial about his problem, always blaming someone else for making him get to that level instead of taking responsibility for his own behavior. As long as the person is willing to admit their anger issues and wants to change, counseling and/or anger management is a great start

Old 08-09-2017, 02:28 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
It makes you an immature brat.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:36 AM

1,178 posts, read 685,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nope. It denotes poor ability to regulate emotion.
It's also a potential indicator of abuse. It'd be an immediate dealbreaker for me.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:17 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,289 times
Breaking things out of anger has little to do with being or not being in a relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health