Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you know that studies have shown that antidepressants overall are NOT more effective then an act
I DID know, according to studies, that overall, antidepressants are not more effective than an active placebo 12 54.55%
I did NOT know, according to studies, that overall, antidepressants are not more effective than an active placebo 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 11:20 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

OP: Did you explore the Big Pharma marketing strategy of "chemical imbalance," which so many people still ascribe to?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2564489/

For those unaware, the sound bite "chemical imbalance" was strictly a marketing strategy developed by Big Pharma to sell pills.

It is false. There is no such thing as a "chemical imbalance" that causes depression, or a pill that can "fix" "chemical imbalance." It's all B.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 12:29 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
OP: Did you explore the Big Pharma marketing strategy of "chemical imbalance," which so many people still ascribe to?

For those unaware, the sound bite "chemical imbalance" was strictly a marketing strategy developed by Big Pharma to sell pills.

It is false. There is no such thing as a "chemical imbalance" that causes depression, or a pill that can "fix" "chemical imbalance." It's all B.S.
Thanks for the link and I know SSRI's are highly profitable and lucrative and their overall effectiveness is called into question when looking over all the studies, but mental illness is real, people still need to have a competent doctor, regularly speak to them and make the best decision with them for each person's individualized care.

If that involves SSRIs then good. If no SSRIs but with something else that truely works, that is good too. The important thing is finding something that works for the person. SSRI's do help a good degree of people. Studies have shown they also do not help a good degree of people. So, if SSRI's are not working for you, you are NOT too broken to fix and you are with millions of other people.

Mental illness is real and it is a tragedy. More research and funding is needed to get to the true cause and to help and ultimately cure the afflicted. Perhaps some lobbying can be done to get mental illness (and brain understanding) funding on par with Cancer (and other disease) research levels. After all, it is the leading cause of disability in the US. There is a major unmet clinical need for major advancement to end suffering, disability and violence (against oneself or another) and ultimately death (in some cases) due to mental health.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:53 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:

"Chemical imbalance" is not a medical term. It is just a way to describe alterations in physiology to patients, and some patients do have alterations in neurotransmitters. The concept was never just a marketing tool.

Every thought we have is mediated by chemicals, so mood disorders must be caused by dysfunction in the chemical pathways in the brain. Those brain chemicals interact in a complex fashion, and neuroscientists understand that. Explaining those complexities to the average layman requires simplification for most.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:02 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Thanks for the link and I know SSRI's are highly profitable and lucrative and their overall effectiveness is called into question when looking over all the studies, but mental illness is real, people still need to have a competent doctor, regularly speak to them and make the best decision with them for each person's individualized care.

If that involves SSRIs then good. If no SSRIs but with something else that truely works, that is good too. The important thing is finding something that works for the person. SSRI's do help a good degree of people. Studies have shown they also do not help a good degree of people. So, if SSRI's are not working for you, you are NOT too broken to fix and you are with millions of other people.

Mental illness is real and it is a tragedy. More research and funding is needed to get to the true cause and to help and ultimately cure the afflicted. Perhaps some lobbying can be done to get mental illness (and brain understanding) funding on par with Cancer (and other disease) research levels. After all, it is the leading cause of disability in the US. There is a major unmet clinical need for major advancement to end suffering, disability and violence (against oneself or another) and ultimately death (in some cases) due to mental health.
I totally agree.

We need to bring back protected residential environments (which provide compassionate care), too. Our local jail has had to expand its infirmary to provide more room for people who are arrested (because they threatened someone) while they are awaiting transfer to inpatient mental facilities.

We have a big shortage of psychiatrists in my part of the state, largely because remuneration for psychiatric services is so low. That discourages medical school graduates from entering the field.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:18 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umograd83 View Post
Well, I know they work for me because I have gone off my antidepressants and went straight back into major depression. It works. I am not giving them up.
Same here. My meds take away the desire to off myself. Good enough for me thus far. I still am not sure these meds I am currently on are going to be my long term meds; I think I may need different ones eventually. But I also know what happens when I stop taking them. My depression gets worse and I want to kill myself.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Mental illness is real and it is a tragedy. More research and funding is needed to get to the true cause and to help and ultimately cure the afflicted.
Finally, we can agree on something!

Old 05-20-2018, 01:22 PM

SSRI's and Suicide Risk:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC193979/

Old 05-20-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There is so MUCH WE can do for ourselves vs feeding the drug industry and their drugs. I've been that route before I learned from years of reading, talking to others, getting thyroid supported and finding meditation....
We should all do what we can do to better ourselves. I can't do meditation. I've tried. I can get to mind to slow down enough to do it. Talking to others? Like many, my depression leads me to isolate myself. Not sure which is the chicken or the egg. Do I get depressed because I isolate myself or do I isolate myself because I am depressed? I live alone right now. It's easy to slip into full-blown depression before realizing it where when I lived with others, they could tell something was off before I did.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:58 PM

There are proven things that help depression: One is exercise, so even if a person doesn't "feel" like getting out there, if they force themselves, they might be able to improve their mental health.

Vitamin D and B12 deficiencies are rampant and are said to impact mood/depression, as has magnesium. There would be no reason not to try these natural remedies, that I can think of (of course, ask your doctor, but most of them do not learn about these things in medical school or have the time or interest to educate themselves afterwards).

There are a bunch of other things you can do, but I am not going to list them because I feel that it is mostly "casting pearls before swine." Lots of people are very attached to their diagnoses and are not interested in helping themselves. They leave it up to doctors and pills . .

Old 05-20-2018, 02:21 PM

23,301 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
There are proven things that help depression: One is exercise, so even if a person doesn't "feel" like getting out there, if they force themselves, they might be able to improve their mental health.

Vitamin D and B12 deficiencies are rampant and are said to impact mood/depression, as has magnesium. There would be no reason not to try these natural remedies, that I can think of (of course, ask your doctor, but most of them do not learn about these things in medical school or have the time or interest to educate themselves afterwards).

There are a bunch of other things you can do, but I am not going to list them because I feel that it is mostly "casting pearls before swine." Lots of people are very attached to their diagnoses and are not interested in helping themselves. They leave it up to doctors and pills . .
I think people also forget (unintentionally or intentionally) that their emotional situations change in response to big shifts in their lives. The body condition changes, so do those life events we don't control directly. Nothing is static. While a non-medication route might do exactly what is needed under some life circumstances, it might not be enough in another. There is nothing inherently wrong with that. Maybe there are people who are so terrified of the depths that they would never consider changing their level of medication having found relief, but I suspect most perceptive people want as little chemical "alteration" as possible. Isn't that what many other supplement approaches to health do as well? Give someone an edge over something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health