Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:45 AM

230 posts, read 216,667 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 20 year old male. I am in my third year of college. I've been thinking a lot lately that I could possibly have ADHD. However, I'm not sure. I'll list some things I experience.

I pace back and forth a lot. Like I daydream a lot and think of fantasies. I get overly excited thinking about these fantasies that I have to get up, daydream about them, and pace back and forth all over my house to experience them. I get overly excited which is why I pace. It drives my mother nuts. She always gets on me about it, but I can't help it. When I'm the only person in my house, I do it all day because I know no one is there to judge me for doing it. I've been doing this since I was about 5-6 years old.

When I listen to music, I do the same thing. I'll pace back and forth, or I'll sit down and rock back and forth to the songs I like. I have a hard time focusing or getting things done. I procrastinate a lot on my school work and studying for exams. It takes a bit of effort for me to get assignments done. I have a hard time focusing on a single task for an extended period of time. I get bored quickly or would rather be doing something else. I also get distracted easily, like I'll rather surf the internet for hours than to do my schoolwork.

I still don't have a driver's license at 20 years old. A big part of that is because I have anxiety about it, but the few times where my father tried to teach me, I have a hard time focusing and paying attention to all my surroundings. I forget directions quite easily. It's hard for me to pay attention to so many things at once. I tend to get distracted. I'm horrible with directions. I don't know my way around to many places. My father and I drive the same route to my school everyday, and I still don't really know how to get there. Even the area I live in. I don't know my area that well, even though I've been living here for a while.

When I'm sitting down for an extended period of time, such as in a classroom, I fidget in my seat a lot. I'll also rock back and forth every now and then. All throughout school students would always ask me, "Do you have ADHD?" I would ask them "Why would you ask me that?" They would say, "Because you're always moving." Some people would make fun of me for it. I also daydream a lot in the classroom, or if it's something that doesn't really interest me.

I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I think I could possibly have this condition. I'm thinking about talking to my parents about this, and going to the doctor so I can get a proper diagnosis. But I wanted to see what you guys think first. What do you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 02:38 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,959 times
I wouldn't ask here unless someone puts their MD shingle on the wall.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:42 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
you havent hit puberty yet, not adhd

go to the gym and workout

Old 04-08-2018, 02:48 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
Hello,

I am a 20 year old male. I am in my third year of college. I've been thinking a lot lately that I could possibly have ADHD. However, I'm not sure. I'll list some things I experience.

I pace back and forth a lot. Like I daydream a lot and think of fantasies. I get overly excited thinking about these fantasies that I have to get up, daydream about them, and pace back and forth all over my house to experience them. I get overly excited which is why I pace. It drives my mother nuts. She always gets on me about it, but I can't help it. When I'm the only person in my house, I do it all day because I know no one is there to judge me for doing it. I've been doing this since I was about 5-6 years old.

When I listen to music, I do the same thing. I'll pace back and forth, or I'll sit down and rock back and forth to the songs I like. I have a hard time focusing or getting things done. I procrastinate a lot on my school work and studying for exams. It takes a bit of effort for me to get assignments done. I have a hard time focusing on a single task for an extended period of time. I get bored quickly or would rather be doing something else. I also get distracted easily, like I'll rather surf the internet for hours than to do my schoolwork.

I still don't have a driver's license at 20 years old. A big part of that is because I have anxiety about it, but the few times where my father tried to teach me, I have a hard time focusing and paying attention to all my surroundings. I forget directions quite easily. It's hard for me to pay attention to so many things at once. I tend to get distracted. I'm horrible with directions. I don't know my way around to many places. My father and I drive the same route to my school everyday, and I still don't really know how to get there. Even the area I live in. I don't know my area that well, even though I've been living here for a while.

When I'm sitting down for an extended period of time, such as in a classroom, I fidget in my seat a lot. I'll also rock back and forth every now and then. All throughout school students would always ask me, "Do you have ADHD?" I would ask them "Why would you ask me that?" They would say, "Because you're always moving." Some people would make fun of me for it. I also daydream a lot in the classroom, or if it's something that doesn't really interest me.

I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I think I could possibly have this condition. I'm thinking about talking to my parents about this, and going to the doctor so I can get a proper diagnosis. But I wanted to see what you guys think first. What do you say?

Review all your concerns with your MD, get recommendations.

No one on cd can diagnose your symptoms....

Old 04-10-2018, 11:13 AM

4,064 posts, read 5,648,652 times
I agree. You need a diagnosis by a psychiatrist or other mental health professional who do that kind of testing and evaluate all your symptoms. Please don't let time just keep passing by without discovering the cause of these symptoms. I have ADD and it was never diagnosed when I was young...too many years wasted. But since you also have symptoms that could be due to something else, don't just assume it's ADHD.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am a 20 year old male. I am in my third year of college. I've been thinking a lot lately that I could possibly have ADHD. However, I'm not sure.

I say you will most assuredly will get the diagnose you seek should you see a shrink.
My question would be why you would want a "diagnosis"?....what for?

Are you lacking self esteem, and will it make you feel better about yourself?
do YOU think there's something wrong with you?
is it because of what your friends and peers say about you?

Old 04-14-2018, 12:08 PM

230 posts, read 216,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I say you will most assuredly will get the diagnose you seek should you see a shrink.
My question would be why you would want a "diagnosis"?....what for?

Are you lacking self esteem, and will it make you feel better about yourself?
do YOU think there's something wrong with you?
is it because of what your friends and peers say about you?
From looking up the symptoms of it and speaking to my classmate that has ADHD, I think there is a possibility that I have it. But it's best to speak to a doctor. I can't diagnose myself. And if it turns out I have it, I can get treatment for it to make my life easier.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
. And if it turns out I have it, I can get treatment for it to make my life easier.
would that "treatment" be synthetic drugs?

Old 04-21-2018, 06:26 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,615,402 times
Quote:
From looking up the symptoms of it and speaking to my classmate that has ADHD, I think there is a possibility that I have it. But it's best to speak to a doctor. I can't diagnose myself. And if it turns out I have it, I can get treatment for it to make my life easier.
I'm going to cut to the chase here and tell you that there is no miracle drug that is going to make you enjoy doing your homework instead of listening to music. Music is usually more pleasurable, and that's just the cold hard truth.

I think what you truly could use would be to get your driver's license, get a part-time job, get out and about, join in activities with your peers, and begin dating and doing other things not under your parent's watchful protective eyes. What I am seeing is a sheltered life, and that can inhibit maturity.
How about the peace corps? I would bet a couple years away from your parents, not under their wing, would be the best thing that could happen to you. You would grow up immensely...and enjoy some independence.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:17 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,959 times
Quote:
Life isn't supposed to be easy.
You live in the best country in yhe world, people are risking their lives to get in,
youre getting an education that will serve
you a lifetime .
A little adversity make us stronger.
Ever listen to jordan peterson?
https://youtu.be/eHU1uhDEExk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health