Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 12:54 PM

267 posts, read 1,835,852 times

Advertisements

Have you ever known anyone addicted to painkillers? How did it affect you? Were you able to help them out someway? The reason I ask is that I suspect a close family member may be headed that way. I don't know for sure though because she lives out of state and only know what other family members tell me and what she mentions in phone conversations. She has asked me in the past for some painkillers (husband had some leftover from surgery and at the time I didn't suspect anything), asks others for meds, or looks for doctors that easily prescribe meds. If they don't give her anything or only a short supply then she says the doctors don't know what they are talking about. She says the meds are for shoulder pain and stress/tension headaches. Although I don't doubt at all she gets in pain but its the little things that are adding up by what she says that make me (and others) believe she is abusing painkillers. Like taking Vicodin or Loratab at work, asking docs for higher dosages, refusing any other type of physical therapy or medical help...Just wants the painkillers, etc.

I want to help out but I don't want to accuse her either in case I'm wrong. Could someone give me some advice please on what to do or what to look out for to know if it is addiction. I love this family member very much. I don't see her very often so its hard to know whats really going on.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 07:25 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,189,362 times
People who are addicted to drugs are impossible to help - until they themselves want to get help. Usually it takes them hitting rock bottom to get to that point. It sucks but there's not much anyone can do to help a drug addict who isn't ready to quit or get help, let alone one who won't admit they even have a problem.

I myself have been physically dependent on painkillers because of a severely herniated disc in my back but I had finally had surgery yesterday because I hate being on drugs. There is a big difference though in being physically dependent (needing them for pain and then being on the pills for so long that you start going through withdrawal if you don't take them on time) and being emotionally addicted to drugs.

True drug addicts have no control over their addiction and will do anything to get more drugs. I have known (and sadly, grown up with) plenty of addictsand it's heartbreaking to see.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 PM

Thank you for your reply tao. I understand what you are saying about being physically dependent and emotionally dependent. I think my family member is emotionally dependent on the painkillers. She is also on other medications for anxiety/depression, sleeping pills, and who knows what else.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:36 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I used to work with a lady who was hooked on Lortabs, and she was skinny as a rail because she wouldn't eat. I'm assuming she didn't eat because it reduced the effect of the pills, she also liked high caffeine drinks for some reason. She was in her 40's and looked awful. She was eventually fired so I don't know what shape she is in today, but it was pitiful to watch.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:33 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times
luvs80s, I have known a few people with addiction problems and I agree with Tao that people have to want to get help before anything works.

IMO, if you are feeling like speaking to the family member than perhaps you could help guide them into seeking help. Taking a variety of pills for a variety of reasons is about like running in quicksand to me. Don't expect instant success, but try to open a door with compassion. The family member can't be happy chasing after the next fix. They are using up an enormous amount of energy that could be used for a positive goal in their life. Good luck.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:50 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
I was once physically addicted to painkillers prescribed for a slipped disc and also to some prescribed for my bad knee. The withdrawals were awful, but I hated the way the pills fuzzed my brain, so I stopped taking them and even flushed them down the toilet, so I wouldn't be tempted to take them again. Now when doctor's ask me what I'm taking for the pain I tell them nothing, because the lower strength pills don't work and I don't want to be addicted to the higher ones. Oxycontin and Hydromorpone were the 2 worst. I usually try and live with the pain, because it won't mess my life up as much as being addicted to those pills.

Everyone is right though, the person has to acknowledge he/she has a problem and want to get help, before you can do anything.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:58 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
All of these sound just like our patients who come into the office that are addicted to painkillers.

The drs try and lower their dose or send them to pain management, and they become livid...

Old 04-27-2008, 08:39 AM

Cinderobyn, what usually happens to the patients once the doctor suggests pain management or lower dosage? I'm assuming they look for another doctor. How can you tell someone is addicted? Does it sound like from what I've written that my stepmother may have an addiction or abuse problem? My stepbrothers (their mom) are really concerned about her too.

I agree with everyone here that says you can't help someone unless they want to help themselves. She is very very good at playing the helpless "poor me" role too well and would rather blame others for her problems in life than take action on her own to make things better. (One of the reasons my dad divorced her...he had about all he could handle with her negative outlook on life). Still its hard to sit back and watch someone be so self destructive (even if I live far away).

Old 04-29-2008, 01:31 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Signs of an addiction (I just spent ALL day working with addicts, from crack and meth to pain killers...yes, they are VERY addictive) are that you develop a tolerance, have withdrawal symptoms, and that it is impacting your life (family relationships, job, etc). Doctor shopping (e.g., going around to various doctors to get the pain killers) is also a sign. Some argue (we were discussing this today) that pain killers can be a very difficult addiction to break because people can rationalize the addiction since it's from a prescription. I would suggest that you all talk to her and see what she has to say, but honestly, if she's not willing to go into treatment, there isn't anything you can do.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:08 PM

What would be a good way to bring up the topic, jessiegirl? We don't want to come out accusing her so we want to bring it up in as gentle way as possible. No doubt she will deny everything. When do doctors become aware that their patient might be becoming addicted to painkillers? My brother was actually thinking of making an anonymous phone call or letter to let them know what is going on but I don't think that would be such a good idea. it could open up a whole new can of worms and start some major drama within the family. But I don't know, he's very stubborn and usually does what he wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health