Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 11:01 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes. I have to make myself get up and walk away, but as a caregiver, sometimes that happens for me. I try to walk for 45 minutes to an hour on nice days. Also, the Internet can be an escape from reality, which I do need right now.

There are still better things I could do with my time. I used to write a lot, not just posts on a forum, but short stories, articles, and I am about 30,000 pages into a novel. I lost my heart for it for some reason, and sometimes I think if I got back to it, I wouldn't waste so much of my life on here.
Yes, I used to read books voraciously, now I think I have lost my patience for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 11:04 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Sometimes I think the worst thing I ever did was let my ex hand me a laptop so I'd stop running upstairs to check email during commercials - 20 years ago

3 laptops and 2 ipads later.....

I've removed most apps from my phone though

It's definitely a time suck and I have things I need to research etc that I don't even get done, despite spending a lot of non-work time with a laptop sweating my legs.

I do try and read more though - that is one of the things that really took a hit to internet time
"Laptop sweating your legs" lol. You need a breakfast tray that goes over your legs. I sit on the bed so I can look out my sliding doors for the best view and use one all day. It's the greatest. The mouse is down by my legs so I don't even have to lift my arthritic arm to use the mouse----

I only have the apps that came with my phone; never added any. Guess I'm not missing out on too much! I like to read library books on the laptop---more comfortable than holding the book or Kindle.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
"Laptop sweating your legs" lol. You need a breakfast tray that goes over your legs. I sit on the bed so I can look out my sliding doors for the best view and use one all day. It's the greatest. The mouse is down by my legs so I don't even have to lift my arthritic arm to use the mouse----

I only have the apps that came with my phone; never added any. Guess I'm not missing out on too much! I like to read library books on the laptop---more comfortable than holding the book or Kindle.
I have a laptop table, it has wood on top of a soft cushion and just sits on my lap on the couch. They sell them but I got mine in a thrift store.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:43 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I used to read books voraciously, now I think I have lost my patience for that.
I used to read books voraciously AND watch old movies with rapt attention... Now I find myself itching to be online at the same time I'm watching; I think I need an intervention.

As for "laptops sweating your legs," I bought an old wire dish drying rack at the thrift store, inverted it, and set it on my bed; keeps the device nice and cool without the fan constantly running and allows me to recline in perfect sloth-like comfort while surfing.

The TV remote slides underneath in that recessed area, so I'm set to stagnate/vegetate.

Good video, but I kept having to adjust the volume; song too high, commentary too low.

Last edited by otterhere; 05-23-2022 at 05:06 PM..

Old 05-23-2022, 06:54 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I used to read books voraciously AND watch old movies with rapt attention... Now I find myself itching to be online at the same time I'm watching; I think I need an intervention.

As for "laptops sweating your legs," I bought an old wire dish drying rack at the thrift store, inverted it, and set it on my bed; keeps the device nice and cool without the fan constantly running and allows me to recline in perfect sloth-like comfort while surfing.

The TV remote slides underneath in that recessed area, so I'm set to stagnate/vegetate.

Good video, but I kept having to adjust the volume; song too high, commentary too low.

What a brilliant idea thanks! If I ever get the wireless router hooked up I'll try it!

Old 05-24-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Yes, I can no longer do/focus on one thing at a time! I do think that’s an effect of our online world.

Old 05-24-2022, 04:53 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I can no longer do/focus on one thing at a time! I do think that’s an effect of our online world.
I hate it. I still think about giving it up and just going to the library a couple of hours a day. But so far all I've done is think...

Old 05-24-2022, 05:42 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I am online a lot. never thought about how much I spend online until I saw this thread. I must check CD everyday at least 5-6 times a day. ( crazy I know) then I spend at least 30 minutes each time I check. I am addicted to You Tube. I watch it in the morning before work for at least 30 minutes. On my lunch break I am either on CD or you tube. I don't use any other social media. Oh and I check my emails when my phone alerts me. there was a time when I was not posting on city data for almost 6 months or so. A CD member googled me online and got my phone # and called me to see if I was ok or alive LOL. I was glad to hear from her and she knows I post a lot. In fact a few people from the LI forum were wondering where I was. this was like 2 or 3 years ago. Right after that call I was back to posting again. I enjoy it but I need a life LOL.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:22 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:

Thanks for the "leg sweat" tips lol! I do enjoy the warmth come winter but not right now - and the fan runs more

I got on fb in 2010, after a divorce. I had a few friends that had migrated there. One refused to continue to email with me and it was someone I'd been chatting with about 10 years. And I had insomnia so, something to do when I couldn't sleep.

That said, I was still picking up a 6 or so books weekly from the library. I don't remember when I stopped doing that. I got an ipad in 2012 or so and found I didn't mind reading books on that, which worked well when I had to travel for work. But these days I really get distracted when reading on the ipad - it's just too easy to check fb, email, cd....

2018 I removed fb from my phone. 2019 I picked an author and spent the year digging up as many books as I could find in the libraries. During lockdown I went through all my reference books and finally put them away! Last summer was another author. So thankfully I'm still reading but not like I used to.

Even in the early internet days, before my laptop, I was on forums and email lists. To this day I will go and unsubscribe from lists and it feels like something is broken when I'm not getting "enough" email. It's a work in progress I guess.

And like someone said above, I am definitely not as productive as I used to be. I love working with my hands, wood projects, on my house. Up to 2010 or so I'd have to force myself to stop working to eat or just relax for a bit before bed. Now it seems I force myself to step away from the computer to get 30 minutes of a project done. I used to sit on the couch at night and read or do cross stitch or other projects. I would take adult ed classes at the local high school, and went to computer club meetings. Last year I paid for a 4 part online class, and by the last one I worked/emailed more than listened.

Tonight I'm reading CD, though my book is on the couch too. I really blame fb though, it is more addictive than anything else I've done with computers since the 1980s

Old 05-25-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I am online a lot. never thought about how much I spend online until I saw this thread. I must check CD everyday at least 5-6 times a day. ( crazy I know) then I spend at least 30 minutes each time I check. I am addicted to You Tube. I watch it in the morning before work for at least 30 minutes. On my lunch break I am either on CD or you tube. I don't use any other social media. Oh and I check my emails when my phone alerts me. there was a time when I was not posting on city data for almost 6 months or so. A CD member googled me online and got my phone # and called me to see if I was ok or alive LOL. I was glad to hear from her and she knows I post a lot. In fact a few people from the LI forum were wondering where I was. this was like 2 or 3 years ago. Right after that call I was back to posting again. I enjoy it but I need a life LOL.
The website blockers do help. They’re not perfect, because you have to have the fortitude to set them but they do work when you do use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health