Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:29 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I recently quit, not so much for the health reasons because I did enjoy them. Just refuse to pay $7.50 a pack & going up again in NJ.

I ran into someone last night who gave them up about 8 months ago and oh lordy she must have gained 50 pounds....I 'm terrified of that.

Short of starving myself anyone have any tips for not gaining weight when you quit??? I have not replaced cigarettes with any type of food or hard candy..just the patch & lots & lots of water with lemon in it but I'm wondering if I should maybe scale back to like 1000 calories a day instaed of 1300 because if I jump on the scale and it's creeping up I know I'll pay the $7.50 for a pack
I quit many years ago and gained weight very slowly. But if I had done herbal detox and body wraps for a couple of months and not exchange one hand to mouth habit for another (cigs for food) and began to workout, I would have been better off. So do what I didn't do BUT always remember you can lose weight but you can't lose cancer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 09:52 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
I'm not going to lie. I quit smoking back in December after 25 years and I have put on around 20 lbs. Thankfully I was too thin to begin with but I am not so thrilled with where I am at weight wise right now. Still, everytime I start to gripe about the weight gain I think of all the things about smoking I don't miss and I really do get over it. As others have said, food taste is a whole new world once you quit smoking. I have never been a foodie and now I am trying new things every day just to savor tastes that I never had before and I am having a blast doing it.

I am 37 years old and never knew how good bell peppers were until I quit smoking! Now I am addicted to those suckers!!

Seriously though, in the end whether you lose or gain weight, it is so worth it to quit smoking and it's a heck of a lot easier to lose 20 lbs than it is to quit smoking so hang in there!

Old 04-13-2009, 02:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Smoked 45+ years.

Quit two years ago. Gained 45 pounds the first six months. Have been fighting the weight and have gained some ground, a bit to go yet.

Rich

Old 04-13-2009, 02:42 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Next month will be a year for me. I cannot stand the smell of smoke. I just threw them away one day. I will never smoke again! I did go from 117lbs. to 143 lbs. but not sure why. Could be my thyroid meds. I do not eat that much more than before, but noticed I have more of a sweet tooth for cookies!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:04 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Thank you all Some really great tips Working on day 9...still a struggle but the patch does help and if i get to cranky I have some Chantix, would rather not with the Chantix.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Thank you all Some really great tips Working on day 9...still a struggle but the patch does help and if i get to cranky I have some Chantix, would rather not with the Chantix.
Good luck Kate!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:40 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
I quit 22 years ago--I smoked a pack a day--and I still think it's one of the hardest things I've ever done. Run around the block. Eat raw vegetables. Chew gum. (And put the money you've saved in a jar.) The first year is really difficult; after that, you won't think about it as much. Don't give up! You'll feel 100% better soon.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:01 PM

221 posts, read 437,235 times
Weight gain is a major concern. The key is to exercise, get winded, and you'll fight the urge.

Chew on a straw too. Drink plenty of water. Stay busy. Take a walk. All good ways

Old 05-02-2009, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,234 times
Today marks one month of not smoking for me. I was a "light" smoker but all of this information is equally important because the addiction is still just as powerful as every action (playing music, drinking, going outside for a break, having a chat with a coworker, etc. became associated with smoking). FlightAttendant, I totally agree! I just made a spicy tea before stumbling on this thread and it does help ease the desire for that burn. There are lots of other ways to help trick yourself too. I love Lobelia tincture. You can get it at the health food store...it fills the same receptors in your brain as nicotine to help wean yourself...as far as eating goes, drinking fluids like cold water and teas is good as is chewing gum and crunchy low fat snacks. I found that I just needed to keep my jaw flapping! Now its not so bad, although I am dealing with the cough...which is well worth it. I feel like I deserve to eat a little treat after all of my hard work! But if that "reward" is not for you, go for a walk and do something active that will get your respiratory system pumping and to celebrate your new found health and wellness.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
Quote:
I ran into someone last night who gave them up about 8 months ago and oh lordy she must have gained 50 pounds....I 'm terrified of that.

Short of starving myself anyone have any tips for not gaining weight when you quit???

Weight gain can happen and it isn't necessarily because of over eating. Your metabolism slows down when you quit smoking.

The best thing to do is to keep active, eat healthy, and drink lots of water. You may put on a few pounds, but those are better than what smoking does to your body.

I smoked for 30 years. Quit almost 2 years ago. Gained 30 pounds and am still trying to lose it. I was scared of gaining the weight too. I even started smoking again one time to lose the weight. But this time, I refuse to smoke again. I will have to deal with the weight on its own level.

My lungs thank me every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health