Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,675 times

Advertisements

I am on day 6 of quitting smoking. I've been drinking those Naked juices, especially the "power c-machine" one, and fresh juice they make at Whole Foods. I also have been taking multivitamins, drinking green tea and lots of water, taking hot baths, and eating bananas. And eating lots of nuts and seeds. Also, I'm getting a deep tissue massage after work, too, after which I'll be sitting in the jacuzzi or sauna! It's expensive, but I know it'll help me feel better.

I printed a blank calendar, and every day I quit, I'm putting a big red X through that day! Seeing them add up is motivating! Good luck everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,145 times
I have been smoking for about three months and I know I need to stop. I keep telling myself this my last pack. Well I just smoked my last pack and my plan is not to buy another one. I am a closet smoker I don't smoke outside the house I am hoping since it has been a short addiction I can stop. I have high blood pressure and I feel my heart beating very fast after I smoke. I don't want to stroke or have a heart attack, I am 40, I will let this and my kids be my motivation.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:17 AM

4 posts, read 35,148 times
Green tea and exercise. Sweating is a great way to get rid of the crap in your system! Acai berries, Vitamin C, blue berries are all good anti-oxidants. Fasting can be helpful in some circumstances, but most people that do it take a day off and just relax rather than do their normal schedule.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNoNoYes View Post
I'm sitting here now, after scouring the INTERNET looking for the holy grail to end this nasty habit for good. I have tried everything - Chantix, made me want to kick puppies and push old people down. The patch, well pretty pointless if your still smoking with it on. Gum, 1 piece - utterly wretched. Acupuncture, a waste of 300.00. Hypnosis, a waste of 500.00. I have one thing left to try. Laser.

Now having said that, to add insult to the injury that smoking is. I am 1 week out of my first Chemo treatment, imagine the shame of showing up for Chemo smelling of smoke. I have Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Oh it gets worse. I watched my Father pay for his years as a smoker in the form of Heart disease, it took his life. I held my Mother's hand for the entire year she spent dying of Pancreatic Cancer, a direct result of her years as a smoker. Imagine the audacity it takes to stand in front of a Hospice smoking.

It isn't for lack of want. I have been in a constant cycle of attempt since 2008. I have beaten other demons, - a Cocaine addiction that would have left them blushing at studio 54. An addiction to Morphine - a gift the result of a back injury. An addiction to Demerol, the result of having put my hand through a table saw. Yet I have been helpless to stop this most pointless costly smelly unsightly bad habit. It goes beyond shame somehow.

All that said, I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has had success with the Laser treatment. I am willing to try anything now. You see in addition to the Cancer, my old injuries to my spine have come back to haunt me by way of spinal stenosis. Bone spurs have choked off the spinal canal at the sight of these injuries, my low back and also my neck. I need to quit before going under the knife, my immune system is already getting beaten by the Chemo, the combination of that and smoking would make the surgery an unacceptable risk.

It's go time, I need all the help I can get.

I'm on the e cig after a 30 year habit. It's the best thing I've found. It's obvious you're going to need some kind of help with it.

An abnormal EKG did it for me. I ordered my e cig and am doing well. If you want to go that route, make sure you find the right one for you. Spend some time researching. It's worth it to take back your life.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing60 View Post
First of all congratulations on quitting smoking! It is a tough one - one that I am still unfortunately working on.

My understanding is that the body actually cleanses itself of the toxins pretty quickly and thoroughly. I have heard that one of the best things to do is drink lots of water though I'm not sure why and of course exercise. Maybe with lots of exercise you sweat it all out. Sorry could help more but again wanted to congratulate you.
You are correct that the physical addiction is the first to go; it's the psychological addiction that's the hardest to kick. Realizing that fact, for me to be able to quit cold turkey (this was over 20 yrs ago); it was necessary for me to first learn to hate cigs and what they did to my body. It took me about 6 months to reach that stage, and when I did, I threw away the remaining cigs in the pack and never looked back (and never had one withdrawal).

Old 10-27-2013, 08:14 PM

264 posts, read 2,143,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I'm on the e cig after a 30 year habit. It's the best thing I've found. It's obvious you're going to need some kind of help with it.

An abnormal EKG did it for me. I ordered my e cig and am doing well. If you want to go that route, make sure you find the right one for you. Spend some time researching. It's worth it to take back your life.

Best of luck to you.
Yea, I finally quit smoking, been using a e-cig the last 8 months and feel way better. I am also using some very low nicotine and can easily quit vaping if I wanted to, but it seems harmless. Can't believe I didn't try this method years ago when I tried quitting smoking. I did try out a cigerette like 5 months ago and it made me feel sick so I doubt I'll ever have one again. I highly suggest using a e-cig if anyone is considering quitting smoking. I feel about 10 years younger now.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:40 AM

544 posts, read 610,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Best Way To Detox After Quitting Smoking? (diet, exercise, water)

Drink a lot of water and I used tootsie roll pops, gave me something to do with my hands, just be aware the first 4 days are gonna be miserable, resign yourself that you are gonna gain weight, you really can start to lose the extra poundage after about 6 months smoke free. Tapering off did not work for me, I was still smoking.

True, but be aware of "how good" you will feel in like a week or two. Your mind will tell you "I feel so great, I did such a great job quitting smoking, that I can reward myself with just two cigarettes today! I know I won't get addicted again because I was able to quit after 5 years, I can surely quit after these two measly cigs! "

When you hear that in your mind, you need to DO SOMETHING. Go for a walk, go punch the living daylights out of your mattress or pillows. Slam a baseball bat into an old computer that isn't used. Go do something! In like 30 minutes, or after you're done beating the living daylight out of an inatimate object, your mind will stop saying those stupid thoughts.

Those thoughts will continue for many weeks, months, and even years (although they will decrease in quantity). The best way is to find new things to do every so often. Go mow the lawn, shovel snow, plant some vegetables, etc.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,658 times
I only smoked 6 cigarettes a day, I already had been exercising 4 days a week for an hour each day. A good hard workout.
I had my last cigarette a week ago, yet I tried a test called NicAlert and it still showed like I smoked.
When will this go away?
I am looking into a job that might test for nicotine, how can I get this all out of my system?

Last edited by bc2000; 01-27-2014 at 03:10 PM..

Old 02-16-2016, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,451 times
I quit smoking 6 months ago. It wasn't as hard as I thought. Now I'm proud to be a non smoker and I don't miss the disgusting habit at all. I have no desire to ever smoke again. I actually try to convince my friends and family who smoke to quit as well. I feel healthier. I can breathe better. I can laugh hard without choking and coughing. I can smell everything so much better. I can sing to my tunes without coughing. I am so glad to not have the smokers cough anymore. When I catch a cold, it does not take weeks to get over it anymore. At first, I coughed a lot after quitting, but it's because my lungs were healing. I have gained a few pounds but I'm still wearing the same jeans, they just fit more snug now. I'm ok with gaining a few pounds if it means living a healthier lifestyle. I take vitamins, eat a lot of raw veggies and fruit and drink water all day. I am getting ready to add exercise to my lifestyle. I have been waiting on that last one because I actually felt tired and short of breathe for months after quitting. My body had a lot of healing from all the toxins I put in it. And it was working over time. Now, I'm really starting to notice the benefits of quitting. I have more energy, I don't cough all day, my breath smells way better, my skin looks like it has a healthy glow versus looking dull, my hair is shinier, my gums are not receding as quickly anymore, cigarettes do not control me any longer. I have taken up healthier choices for stress relief. Why did I need a cigarette to make myself feel better anyway? How can inhaling toxins be stress relieving? It doesn't. No more standing in the freezing cold on a rainy day for a smoke. I see smokers and I think to myself, I am so glad I quit. Not to mention the money I'm saving. I've been treating myself to things I never had money to buy before because I was just burning money, literally. This has been the best life changing decision I have made in a long time.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:23 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Congratulations!
Yogi Tea!!!
and Yogi Bear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health