Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE2015 View Post
i do believe in dream meanings and that maybe at certain periods in your life dreams may have a certain specific meaning.years ago i had some pretty bad habits and i had a dream of a dead relative who had succumbed to the same habits.i literally woke up in a sweat it scared me so bad and to this day i think it was a dream basically telling me to straighten up or i'll be gone.
Hmm, that's interesting...and I can see how that would make alot of sense.

My dreams of those who've passed have never been scary though..
And they were always very rare, and pleasant, and I always felt privileged, in a sense, to be granted the connection in the dream...

I'm not sure this is so much 'Health & Wellness' as I am looking more into the aspect of the spiritual, almost psychic qualities of dreams...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 06:27 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Now I ain't some psychic but here's my story anyway.

Back in 2000 I lived in Windsor, near Heathrow Airport. I was used to seeing planes fly low overhead every day.

I went to sleep one night and had a dream, around early October. I was standing outside observing a plane takeoff, but I didn't recognise the airport at all, only that the place looked like somewhere tropical and a long way from home. I watched a Boeing 747 starting to takeoff, and noticed it was operated by Singapore Airlines. For whatever reason, I didn't watch the entire takeoff, until I heard a loud sound, and looked at it, to see it had crashed and exploded into a fireball which was shooting up into the sky.

About a couple of weeks later, an extremely similar crash occurred, involving the same type of plane and airline, and also on takeoff. I was quite shocked when I heard it on the radio. It was also the airline's first ever fatal crash and the first crash of a 747-400 (both of which I'd seen in the dream). The only difference between my dream and the real crash was that in reality it happened at night and in a terrible storm.

Also, not quite as notable, but many years ago I dreamed that a Boeing 777 of British Airways was crashing not far from Heathrow Airport. Then in 2008 British Airways was the first airline to write off a 777 in a landing accident at the airport, but thankfully nobody was killed.

Co-incidences? Maybe. In the first case the interval from the dream to the crash was ~2 weeks, in the second, several years though.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:25 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,347 times
I have no issues with heights. I even hang glide. Even when I'm running off a cliff, my heart rate doesn't even increase a beat. I'm just that comfortable with it.

That being said, I'll have dreams where I'm given the power to fly but I can only get 10ft off the ground because my phobia of heights is so intense. Weird?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:20 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
I have no issues with heights. I even hang glide. Even when I'm running off a cliff, my heart rate doesn't even increase a beat. I'm just that comfortable with it.

That being said, I'll have dreams where I'm given the power to fly but I can only get 10ft off the ground because my phobia of heights is so intense. Weird?
I've often had such dreams, generally when I'm facing some challenge in life,whether it be work related, social or just some project in general that is challenging me. But yes it's annoying when I have those flying dreams and can only get but so high.

Now for the weird dream, something not uncommon for me. Two Halloweens ago, I was camping and during a dream that I was about to die in, also not uncommon, I kept calling out a name, one of my camping buddies could hear me and thought I was struggling to speak, so he yelled out to me to assist in waking me. He said I was talking in a very high pitched voice. (save the MJ jokes). Anyway I do remember in the dream, that I kept repeating the name Walt Whitman, because it had something to do with someone trying to give credit to a discovery I had made to Mr Whitman, . At the time, I really couldn't remember who Walt Whitman was. I later looked WW up and found out some weird connections, to my dreams, such as having spent some time near the area I was in, some other more personal things and dying of a respertory related illness; hence my vocal problem when calling out in my sleep. Both my camp bud, whom is a professor and deals in pychology where a tad freaked. I mean it was Halloween night or morning or sometime that weekend. Whatever, it was during that timeframe.

I've often dreamt of a family member passing away, to my dismay, only to have it come true a short time later. Just before my baby sister passed, with no warning that I know of, in a dream I was walking toward where she was and I saw her fall dead in the street. I can't say it's psychic related, I need hard science for that. I'm sure there must be some subconscious relation in there somewhere.

Last edited by TRosa; 01-12-2011 at 10:49 AM..

Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
^^Wow, these dreams are really interesting. Thanks all for sharing. I think sometimes we have a tendency to kinda blow off or forget about dreams, which I do believe hold alot of signifigance for the dreamer.

As far as the death dreams, I had a dream once about my God-mother who passed away. In the dream she was with my Grandmother and they were sorting through odds & ends, clothing mostly. A week later, I got a call that my Grandmother had passed.

Another weird thing, this is NOT a dream. I was on a flight back home to visit with some family. I hadn't slept at all the night before and was feeling kinda loopy. Anyways, I had a window seat and was looking at the clouds when I noticed they looked like a cemetery full of headstones. I mean, for real. The clouds took on that weird kind of landscape scenery and that is exactly what it looked like for a good while. A couple days later, we were at a family reuninon, and my cousin's husband had an epileptic seizure and drowned in the lake. I went to a funeral, and a cemetery in less than the week I had planned for my visit. CRAZY.

In the past year and a half, I have lost 2 good friends, one being my best girl friend. I have had several dreams about her. And in one of the dreams, it was almost as if there was some sort of connection/communcation going on. She was telling me that there were "all these colors" kind of a soothing type dream about where she was at? I don't know... She was taken very suddenly, the circumstances surrounding her death are still somewhat of a mystery, I know she didn't see it coming (no one did) so there is alot of uneasiness and pain left over.

But these dreams have always brought me comfort, in a sense, it is just nice to "feel" her presence in a dream.

Blah blah blah, sorry for rambling.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:32 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Most of my dreams are very mundane but I occasionally have OBE experiences at night in which I feel myself leave my body and float up to the ceiling. I know I am dreaming and even though I do not like heights I have no fear because I know it's all just a dream. If I can get through the ceiling and then exit out the rooftop, I usually enter a world of wonder and incredible beauty where I just fly around enjoying the colors and the exhilaration of being able to enter a world that is beyond our ordinary earthly senses. The colors are of such intense brilliance and beauty they are experienced, as opposed to just being observed. As I've gotten older, I have these dreams only rarely now but they always leave me with a feeling of such joy that I don't want to wake up.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:20 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
I seem to get a lot of dreams where I am getting into a fight with my mother. She'll come to live with me, we get into an argument, she overstays her welcome, I get really pissed off at her, we yell, then she tries to kick me out of my own apartment. I then end up kicking her out.

I end up waking up exhauseted and wondering WTF?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:40 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,924 times
Does anyone have the dreams where they are awake...somewhat...and know there surrounding...but cant move and are pretty much paralyzed, try to scream...etc...

I had them when i was a lot younger...not much anymore...but there were very frightning, to me i could wake up from them it seemed because i was too tired.

I also remember as a child, i had dreams with a mr and mrs mouse...and we would go through different episodes it seemed. I remember they would sit on my book shelves...lol

Dreams are quite interesting.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,829 times
I've had some dreams where I'm shooting hoops (hoop dreams?), but by myself. The dream dictionaries say that basketball dreams are about wanting teamwork, but in my hoop dreams, I'm just doing free throws by myself, way more impressively than I could ever do in real life, and simply showing off for spectators. I'm the only one playing.
My favorite dreams are flight dreams. I can really feel it too, as if it was really possible. And again, in those, I'm showing off to impress those around me with my magic flight ability, whether I soar high above the world or simply a few feet up.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:17 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE2015 View Post
i do believe in dream meanings and that maybe at certain periods in your life dreams may have a certain specific meaning.years ago i had some pretty bad habits and i had a dream of a dead relative who had succumbed to the same habits.i literally woke up in a sweat it scared me so bad and to this day i think it was a dream basically telling me to straighten up or i'll be gone.
I think closer to this way I think. I believe that most dreams are just processing things and laying down new brain circuits as the dr. said, but some dreams are important and you need to dig to get at their meaning. I hope you did straighten up--sounds like you did, lol.

I had a wild dream one night but before I dig into it, I'll give you all a little background--I've posted about her before, but I have a very troubled relationship with my sis--everyone in the family does, because she seems to have a major personality disorder, and maybe several of them. She's just a mess and she's 6 years younger than me.

The dream: I was a child again--maybe 10? My mother had given me very strict instructions to come straight home from school and watch my sister and get her dinner for her. Well I did come straight home from school, but I forgot all about sis. Didn't even check to see if she was home. I hung out in my room for a few hours and then I remembered! Oh crap. I went flying to her room and found her in bed, very sick. I knew she was sick b/c of my neglect and I began to cry and assure her that from now on I wouldn't mess up and I would take care of her.

The possible interpretation (without the use of a dream dictionary) is that she is indeed very sick, and I have often avoided her b/c she is absolutely the most annoying person I know--listening to her is like enduring fingernails on a blackboard; in a word, excruciating. But in fact, she is more my responsibility than anyone else's--even mom's. So since having that dream I have made an effort to endure her and to guide her to what is right, though it's an uphill battle at times and by ignoring her and striking her out of my life, I'm absolving myself of a responsibility that is mine. I've had people laugh at this idea and wonder how she could be more my responsibility than mom's, but since having that dream I just know that she is. Also mom has alzheimer's now so can't be there for sis.

Maybe sis is my mission in life? Maybe dreams and attention to them keep you on your life path? That's my thought about it. My other thought is that if you pay attention to the important dreams and try to figure out the message, you'll have more of those kind when needed, but if you just dismiss them you won't have them anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health