Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 AM

911 posts, read 2,161,219 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family and I are thinking of coming to Mexico for an extended stay. My husband teaches IT classes and we'd vethere long enough to need an income while there. Here's my questions.

How affordable is Mexico really? We have kids so we'd need a safe area with things to do. Without a ridiculous amount of kidnappings or murders, etc. (I admit thAt I am ignorant when it comes to the reality of mexicos issues, I don't know what's reality or media hype when it comes to Mexican crime)

What's the safest route to travel when entering and crossing through Mexico?

Would you suggest coming to Mexico with small kids? We know a mexiccan family that says Mexico is way more family friendly and there's not so much to worry about there as up here. They are from the Guadalajara area, I believe. Wdyt?

Thanks in advance, we are just tossing the idea around :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 12:26 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,306,810 times
Default Hmm...

Well, your friends feel safe because Guadalajara happens to be one of the safer places in Mexico right now, with most resorts towns with the exception of Acapulco maybe.

What you read and see is not hype, however, verify for yourself. I could save you time by saying Mexico can be regarded as dangerous, especially driving across the border with US plates, but you should read up some more and form your own opinion.

There are too many things to point out regarding crime, but suspend disbelief for a while, and you will see that Mexico is a beautiful country with lots of friendly people. But the unattractive truth is, it is not as good as it was even less than ten years ago.

Also working while there, I'm guessing your husband will be working legally. Working illegally in Mexico is not as easy as an illegal immigrant working in the US. I'm guessing you would need permits, and visas, which I don't know about, but I'm sure an expert will chime in. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico