Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 AM

21 posts, read 54,334 times

Advertisements

I have a question. I have a manuscript that my Grandfather wrote about his year in Mexico during the Mexican Revolution when he was prospecting for oil on the western half of Mexico.

He was a young Republican; voted for Harding in the 1920 election; he seems to be prejudiced. I don't detect any hatred, but rather a 19th century viewpoint, seeing Mexicans as unable to plan ahead, and having difficulties getting over a resting inertia.

Having read many of his personal letters, I find him to be a good observer, though less of an interpreter. I would like to get his manuscript published and think it has a lot to offer as he interacts with every level of Mexican society, dining with aristocrats and sleeping in the shacks of peons, and has some exciting times.

But he seems to be a prejudiced person in a prejudiced society, so I'm leaning towards just leaving his words as he wrote them, with an editor's note.

I'd appreciate other's views on handling the prejudice.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:02 PM

469 posts, read 1,257,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearby1 View Post
I have a question. I have a manuscript that my Grandfather wrote about his year in Mexico during the Mexican Revolution

...he seems to be a prejudiced person in a prejudiced society, so I'm leaning towards just leaving his words as he wrote them, with an editor's note.

I'd appreciate other's views on handling the prejudice.
Sounds like it'd be a fascinating read, really!

Any prejudices would be integral to his work, and likely representative of the times. I urge you to maintain his writings fully intact – your task is not to interpret/amend his work, although you could certainly provide any necessary counterpoint via an editor's note, provided that it weren't overly conciliatory. Let the reader be the judge.

Best of luck with this project!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:40 PM

950 posts, read 1,516,193 times
Most lightskin Mexicans still have Mestizo facial features. Lightskin does not always automatically = Anglo Saxon features. Thalia for example is lightskin, but her facial features look nothing like that of some Anglo WASP chick named Becky Morrison.

Even if Thalia was not a famous singer, and just a regular person, if I saw her walking down the street I would never confuse her for an Anglo WASP.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 AM

21 posts, read 54,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Any prejudices would be integral to his work, and likely representative of the times. I urge you to maintain his writings fully intact – your task is not to interpret/amend his work, although you could certainly provide any necessary counterpoint via an editor's note, provided that it weren't overly conciliatory. Let the reader be the judge.
Thanks. You confirm what I felt.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:53 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,112,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Most lightskin Mexicans still have Mestizo facial features. Lightskin does not always automatically = Anglo Saxon features. Thalia for example is lightskin, but her facial features look nothing like that of some Anglo WASP chick named Becky Morrison.

Even if Thalia was not a famous singer, and just a regular person, if I saw her walking down the street I would never confuse her for an Anglo WASP.
------------

Thank God she does not look like Becky Morrison.
I'd say she's from Asturian stock.

http://www.hitsmusicales.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/thalia.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-18-2011, 06:22 PM

950 posts, read 1,516,193 times
Thalia looks like a lightskin Mestiza. Her almond shaped eyes is how you tell she is not of pure European ancestry. She definitely has some Aztec and or Mayan ancestry in her family tree.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:27 AM

25 posts, read 230,218 times
I don't consider Thalia to be white. She is not an example of a white mexican. She is like a normal middle class mexican, very beautiful ,not prieta but not white mexican at all. For me white mexicans are easily confused for Americans or europeans, maybe the only thing that might set us apart is that many of us are shorter in average than americans.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:36 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,112,000 times
I'd say she would be considered white in any European country, and she looks definitely whiter than the Americans visiting Europe.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 PM

An example of a white mexican would be the actress Edith Gonazalez, in the pic here with her daughter

Old 03-19-2011, 11:28 PM

Couldn't place the picture...how do you do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico