Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 12:12 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times

Advertisements

I am reading a story - apparently authentic - of a couple vacationing in Cancun who witnessed the aftermath of a near-drowning of a young male. A U.S. Marine administered CPR to the man, only to be stopped at gunpoint by "federales" who forced the Marine to cease administering CPR and let the guy die.

A common warning to tourists driving in Mexico is not to administer aid at an accident site, as doing this apparently is illegal for private individuals and according to some accounts has resulted in jail time! With the slow emergency response times Mexico is famous for, this law would seem counter-productive. In the U.S., exactly the opposite law exists in at least some states: it is illegal to not stop at the scene of an accident when nobody else has.

Is this the case, especially in the first scenario?

These anecdotes really have my head spinning, especially keeping in mind the Mexican citizens I have known, who are among the kindest people I've ever met (seriously, almost all of them have been much nicer than the average American). However, they often make remarks to me in casual conversation, "Todo Mexico es corrupcion", etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 02:34 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,340,837 times
Can the U.S. news write anything positive about Mexico or is it all this type of BS? Mexican emergency isn't slow. I've never heard from anyone that it is illegal to render aid at an accident.

I'm a foreigner living in Mexico so maybe my Mexican neighbors can add to this story.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:45 PM

124 posts, read 529,573 times
So this "US marine" was the hero of the hour? What has to do a US marine in Mexican soil? If he was on duty, he was ilegally here. If he was a tourist, he was just that, a tourist and not a US marine.

I think this story (among a couple others circling this forum) are just a pile of BS.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Can anybody verify that this anecdote is actually circulating anywhere at all? I just googled /marine samaritan mexico/ and got no relevant hits (except this thread).

Old 02-20-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtronics View Post
So this "US marine" was the hero of the hour? What has to do a US marine in Mexican soil? If he was on duty, he was ilegally here. If he was a tourist, he was just that, a tourist and not a US marine.

I think this story (among a couple others circling this forum) are just a pile of BS.

It's another crazy scare story that is no where on the internet. All made up to make Mexicans look heartless and mean. Why would Federales be on a beach anyway unless the drowning victim was a cartel member they were chasing. I doubt most people know the difference in dress of Mexican law enforcement and would not know who are the Federales anyway. Federales do not patrol the beaches and are not local law enforcement for those who do not know.

I did find a site that has stories of Mexican vacations that went badly. It does have several stories of Canadians falling off hotel balconies, and as I've written before, I don't know how that problem can be solved. Canadians don't seem to understand that leaning backwards on a balcony can cause death.
Spring break - Nolan Webster break - Spring Cancun Mexico

Old 02-20-2011, 09:45 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Can anybody verify that this anecdote is actually circulating anywhere at all? I just googled /marine samaritan mexico/ and got no relevant hits (except this thread).
It was here:

Spring break - Nolan Webster break - Spring Cancun Mexico

Excerpt:

Quote:
Name: Chris

ive been to cancun twice and i saw the exact same thing happen. me and my friends were walking the beach after leaving the clubs and saw a group of people standing around someone on the ground. story was, a kid was in the ocean and went under. a us marine that was there vacationing, pulled the kid out of the water and starting giving him cpr. while he was doing that the federales showed up and put their guns to the marine and told him to stop giving cpr and let the kid die.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:39 PM

OK, so several million Americans go to Mexico, and a website actively solicits all their scary stories, and comes up with a couple dozen of them, some of them dating back to the 1980s.

There is no country in the world, where Americans don't have bad experiences or encounter incompetent or uncaring people or downright psychotic people.

Wanna hear some stories about what American cops to to American travelers?

http://www.dailypaul.com/92021/texas-police-shake-down-drivers-lawsuit-claims (broken link)

http://www.civilrights.org/publicati...tice-on-trial/

Old 02-21-2011, 05:59 AM

This part of the first story on Spring break - Nolan Webster break - Spring Cancun Mexico is pure bull and shows how these story tellers exaggerate:
Quote:
Anyone living there from the U.S. will receive arbitrary electric bills of thousands of dollars for a month. It is extortion. Many, many businesses are closed because the drug lords have extorted them so much they can't afford to have a business.
Electric bills are sent out every two months. Electric per kilowatt hour is higher in Mexico. Except for the hot beach areas, we don't need air-conditioning or heat in the winter. Someone with a pool and using lots of electric in my area will have a $100 USD a month bill the average is $20 USD a month for most of us.

A business like a store can have a high bill due to refrigeration and air but in the $200 USD a month range not thousands.

Why would "drug lords" waste their time extorting businesses out of a few pesos when they can make more selling drugs? That's just stupid.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Wanna hear some stories about what American cops to to American travelers?
What's this got to do with Mexico? Wanna hear some stories of American cops losing their lives to protect and save the lives of American ingrates?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
What's this got to do with Mexico? Wanna hear some stories of American cops losing their lives to protect and save the lives of American ingrates?
If you were following the thread, you'd know that it was a response to a tiny number of anecdotal and usually unauthenticated accounts of Mexican police behaving badly. The express purpose of these accounts is to convince people that Mexican police are dangerous, but American police are not, creating a false perception that one plunges into a new danger in Mexico that does not exist in the USA.

Do you have any idea how many Mexican cops have lost their lives protecting the society they are responsible for the security of? It is almost impossible to recruit police in many parts of Mexico, because they are losing their lives so regularly to protect and save the lives of the community in general, irrespective of whether they are ingrates. In one Mexican town, an 20-year old girl is the chief of police, to replace the one who was assassinated, because everyone else was afraid to accept the risk attendant to the job..
http://www.eduinreview.com/blog/2010...n-border-town/

How about this Mexican cop, murdered while investigating the killing of an American:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11533119

How about 16-million hits for /mexican police killed/?
http://www.google.com/search?source=...7c812d0bf&bs=1

Last edited by jtur88; 02-21-2011 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico