Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:37 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,805,881 times

Advertisements

As others on this thread have said, it's all, really about working smarter. Not seeking to denegrate the Mexicans, I believe that the statistics
that are offered herein, which point up their "hard work", should also be viewed with an eye toward the results or the rewards that come of hard work.
If a man tries to dig a hole in the ground with a pitchfork, he'll work damned hard and will never be successful, yet if he stops long enough to understand
that for all of his work, that he's getting nowhere, he needs to rethink his methodology. If he were smarter, he'd find a shovel. It's all about results, not
an issue of quantity or effort, it's about results, the fruits of his labor, surely moreso, than the many generations of blisters and callouses, on his hands.

How ironic that Mexico is home to the richest man on the planet... Carlos Slim

Equally as ironic, is that Bill Gates has given a greater part of his riches back into our society, earmarked as charity, in the hopes of bettering things for his
fellow man. Yes, Carlos Slim employs a lot of his countrymen and does much for the Mexican people but why not do more for the upcoming generations there,
it is they who will be living in a more competitive world, he'll be gone and we all know that you can't take it with you at dying time. I can't deny that the people
of Mexico, in general, have a fine and honest work ethic but just like every other developed country in the world, they need to find an answer which will lead to
self-sufficiency. Although this world seems cruel today, I'you'd best believe that it's going to get a helluva lot crueler, as we get further down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 12:16 PM

70 posts, read 129,810 times
even in something positive as: "Mexicans are hard workers", people come here trying to make this look as something bad ...

if they work hard, then they are not smart...
if they don't work hard, then they are lazy...

I guess something else is going on behind that kind of thinking...

Old 04-30-2011, 01:05 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,711,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoy1 View Post
even in something positive as: "Mexicans are hard workers", people come here trying to make this look as something bad ...

if they work hard, then they are not smart...
if they don't work hard, then they are lazy...

I guess something else is going on behind that kind of thinking...

I know, it's usually people talking smack about the USA. Go figure.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:30 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,199,917 times
Just gotta say, in our experience of owning a business with employees in the US and dealing with workers here, the subject study is true.. Just wish these same Mexican people got paid better for all that hard work and could look forward to a better and more secure future..

Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,854,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
In Mexico you even have a person that help you to put gas in your car or wash your car, or leave your groceries from the HEB to the CAR.

Is different...
Yes you're right - it's just different.

Long hours don't always mean more time is spent working. I think the study referred to a longer work week and very likely that can be documented. Mexicans have a longer work-week, I think many work Monday through Saturday.

Most Americans consider 40 hours full time, but I think full time in Mexico is 48 hours - or 44 -- I'm not sure.

Americans have less vacation time - 2 weeks is standard, but Mexicans enjoy a month off around Christmas and a week off before Easter but I think there are fewer other days off like national holidays.

And retirement comes much earlier for Mexicans, Americans now look forward to working into their 70s. In Mexico teachers can retire incredibly early.

And of course the typical work week and typical vacation schedule and holidays, retirement ages don't apply to everybody.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes you're right - it's just different.

Long hours don't always mean more time is spent working. I think the study referred to a longer work week and very likely that can be documented. Mexicans have a longer work-week, I think many work Monday through Saturday.

Most Americans consider 40 hours full time, but I think full time in Mexico is 48 hours - or 44 -- I'm not sure.

Americans have less vacation time - 2 weeks is standard, but Mexicans enjoy a month off around Christmas and a week off before Easter but I think there are fewer other days off like national holidays.

And retirement comes much earlier for Mexicans, Americans now look forward to working into their 70s. In Mexico teachers can retire incredibly early.

And of course the typical work week and typical vacation schedule and holidays, retirement ages don't apply to everybody.
Maybe *upper-class* Mexicans enjoy a month off at Christmas but from my experience, the average worker is lucky if he gets a day or two or three off at Christmas. Some are luckier and their employer might give them a week off. Most workers [mainly construction] I've encountered work 5 1/2 days a week, from 8AM to 6PM during the week and then until 1PM on Saturdays. I suspect they're happy to even have the work and hours - particularly now as the tourist season [at least here - Vallarta area] winds down.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:55 AM

64 posts, read 125,829 times
Being from Canada I'll take that 4th place.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:01 PM

278 posts, read 623,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Watch the video at the end of the article.

Mexicans spend on average 10 hours of paid and unpaid work per day. Followed by Japanese and Portuguese.

Life Inc. - Who works hardest? Answer may surprise you

Countries 1-14 are on this article:

The Hardest Working Countries In The World

I'm sure Mexicans contributed to the ranking of #9 as well.
if they work so hard, why mexico isnt a prosperous developed nation?

Old 05-11-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
I think they're working on it in many diverse ways --- in the area of education, the justice system and better commerce [not just tourism, which is a mainstay] Now if they can just deal effectivelly with the drug problem and the mordita system, I think they will forge ahead as one of North America's most vital economies - IMHO a least..

Old 05-11-2011, 07:08 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,659,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
That goes right to the point, doesn't it ? Why not stay there and work that hard...? Don't have jobs....? Fight for them.....don't feel you are entitled to mine and my grandchildrens. What gives you that right...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico