Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:04 PM

38 posts, read 283,151 times

Advertisements

Y'all quit giving away the secret! If some folks want to think that all of Mexico is dirty, smelly, and dangerous, then just let them believe it. So much more for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
Any Americans here own land in Mexico, whether they live there or not? What are the specifics and where can one start to find available land for sale? Is retaining a Mexican attorney required? Not beachfront, not touristy, but within a couple hours drive of the US border.

Husband and I have been looking at land in So NM and West Texas and wondering: can we buy land in Mexico, similar terrain, for a cheaper price?
big rip off. i know many people now doing it.
save your money.
mexicans been doin it for 300 years get foreigners to invest and then kickem out.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:30 AM

9 posts, read 44,977 times
I take it that has actually happened to you, Bunky39?

Old 11-13-2007, 10:39 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I take it that has actually happened to you, Bunky39?
Yeah, probably happened to him 300 years ago, paid for the land with two strings of beads and a handfull of dried pinto beans, thought these natives were as gullible as the ones on Manhattan Island. All in all, Mexico treated me a lot more fairly than S. Georgia did.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:44 PM
edk

95 posts, read 543,530 times
Real estate prices in Mexico have risen in recent years, so many people who might have previously paid cash for a house might now be thinking a getting a mortgage.

However, older people who might be contemplating this should be advised of one thing - there is a law in Mexico prohibiting mortgages for people (Mexican or foreigner seems to make no difference) 65 and over.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:55 PM

50 posts, read 306,292 times
Default Be careful

Just think about a Hugo Chavez type leader in Mexico. It almost happened in this election cycle.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Just because you had your land seized in a border town doesn't mean don't buy.. my father has land in Mexico and has never had a problem.
Sorry PL but, recent problems with land ownership has made Mexico a "do not buy" recommendation from many in the Real Estate industry and government regulatory area

Old 02-14-2008, 01:06 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sorry PL but, recent problems with land ownership has made Mexico a "do not buy" recommendation from many in the Real Estate industry and government regulatory area
Well many are moving and buying there. I just watched some show on TLC or A+E, one of those, where a young lady was buying a nice house in Cabo for 350k. Then on another show, an American lady and her daughter were buying a house/art studio in the Yucatan.

There are American Realtors down there waiting for you, demand is much higher now. American population in Mexico has doubled since 1999 from 600k to 1.2 million.

Actually before Americans were flooded by anti-Mexican talk, there were many stories in the news about more and more Americans moving and buying in Mexico:

American Dream In Mexico, U.S. Citizens Moving South Of Border For Beach Life - CBS News

Quote:
Things weren't so good a few short years ago back in two thousand, when hundreds of Americans were forced out of their houses, forced out of this beach community called Punta Bana.
Most of the people's stories in this thread where they got scammed, must of happened before 2001? Because from what I have read the government has reformed those laws now.

Last edited by Marka; 02-19-2008 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: copyright issues

Old 02-16-2008, 06:01 PM

33 posts, read 166,298 times
Land is about 4 to 5 time more expensive in Mexico and large acerage is very hard to find and buy as the owner is usually a family, each family member has a stake in the land.

Outside the border zones and the coastline (and a few others i.e. you cant own mineral rights..if they find oil underneath they will take it, etc.), anyone can buy land in Mexico.

If you are looking at West Texas, why Mexico, that is one of the cheapest places in the world to buy a lot of land.

Good think about Mexico is the property taxes are next to nothing. another thing to consider, you would need an FM3 or FM2 that must be renewed every year, you would just have to pray that it gets renewed every year.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:20 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
This should get you started:

Welcome to Mexico Insider
Real Estate in Mexico
Mexican Real Estate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico