Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Last year, a record 120 Americans were killed in Mexico, compared with just 35 in 2007.
Quote:
Most happened in areas bordering the U.S. But for the first time, a significant number of murders occurred in previously peaceful areas like Jalisco state, where 14 Americans were killed, according to a Houston Chronicle analysis of U.S. State Department data.

'Heads in the sand'

The Chapala shootout and Kahr's death punctuated months of insecurity - burglaries, assaults, gangland shootouts and executions - in the area since last summer.

American and other foreign residents with financial and emotional commitments to their adopted homes, tend to downplay such events. But more than a few have felt rattled.
Number of Americans killed in Mexico continues to rise - Houston Chronicle

Be careful over there my fellow Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM

305 posts, read 750,493 times
120! Wow. How many Americans either live in or visited Mexico last year? I mean, it must be like a 50/50 chance of dying!!!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
I don't recall how many of the 25+ million tourists visiting Mexico annually originate in the USA, but I do believe it's about 85 to 90% of that number.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,890,159 times
I don't want to make light of a serious situation where people are dying, but really 120 is an issue worth writing about? How many Mexicans died in the US last year? I'm sure its more than 120.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I don't want to make light of a serious situation where people are dying, but really 120 is an issue worth writing about? How many Mexicans died in the US last year? I'm sure its more than 120.
Other than mojados and Mexicans involved in criminal acts when they were killed ... I doubt many Mexican tourists were murdered in the USA. I suspect that the Mexican government which pays public relations agencies in the USA to support illegals and other Mexicans in the USA would have made certain that information saw the light of day in the USA or Mexican media. If anyone has seen such a posting please provide it here for us to read/compare.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 PM

155 posts, read 360,635 times
Quote:
It certainly is. According to this research (Note, is not by the Mexican Government) in 2005:

5,176 Mexican citizens lost their lives while in the U.S. 410 of which died trying to cross the border.

So, 4,766 Mexicans lost their lives in the U.S. in that year.

Of those that lost their life while in the U.S., the City of San Diego reports that 14.1% were victims of homicide. If we could extrapolate to the whole number above, then 672 Mexican would have been killed in the U.S. in 2005 alone.

I find this more scaring than the number of Americans killed in Mexico.

Research report:
http://redalyc.uaemex.mx/src/inicio/...?iCve=15140407

Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 PM

10,111 posts, read 14,980,095 times
Yes Americans, be very careful while visiting Mexico. We don't want you to be part of those 0.0000000000001% of American tourists that actually find trouble down there.

Be very careful.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geree View Post
It certainly is. According to this research (Note, is not by the Mexican Government) in 2005:

5,176 Mexican citizens lost their lives while in the U.S. 410 of which died trying to cross the border.

Of those that lost their life while in the U.S., the City of San Diego reports that 14.1% were victims of homicide. If we could extrapolate to the whole number above, then 672 Mexican would have been killed in the U.S. in 2005 alone.

Research report:
http://redalyc.uaemex.mx/src/inicio/...?iCve=15140407
The focus of the report linked above is on the repatriation to Mexico with government assistance of the bodies of persons of Mexican origin (including, I'm assuming, naturalized citizens of the USA, legal residents of the USA, Mexican tourists, and illegal aliens) who died from all causes in the USA during the period 2000-2005. There were 5,176 such deaths in 2005. 410 in that year can be assumed to have died while crossing the U.S./Mexico border illegally. 4,213 died in 2004 and 4,429 in 2003. About 10% of the deaths in the two years were assumed to have died while illegally crossing.

For the year 2004 San Diego County, which had a population of Mexican origin of 22%, or approx. 620,000, reported 43.4% of the deaths were due to accidents; 33.2% due to natural causes; 14.1% from homicides; and 5.8% from suicides. This is the only year and only city for which a breakdown of the causes of death is provided. I didn’t see any total number of deaths for 2004, although an average for the years 2000-2005 was presented as 538. We can assume that 76 would have been the number of homicides. The report doesn’t provide information as to the specific nature of the homicides nor the person or persons responsible for the homicides such as if it was Mexican vs. Mexican or other persons vs. the Mexican who was killed.

The Hispanic population of the USA in 2005 was estimated by the U.S. Census to be 14% of 296 million people. About 41.4 million. Hispanics of Mexican origin residing in the USA probably accounted for 25 million of that number. The number of tourists from Mexico that year probably would have been in the tens of millions. Mostly people living along the USA/Mexico border. Day trips. Short trips. Family visits. The number of non-Mexican USA citizens living in Mexico that year might have been 200,000, including in the border zone or Baja California where their accounting may not have been fully recorded. Non-Mexican tourists from the USA arriving in Mexico that same year, 2005, was likely to be 15 million. If someone has a better number to point to please do. I had difficulty finding it.

While someone may wish to extrapolate that for the total number of Mexicans who died in the USA as a whole during 2004 the 14.1% homicide rate experienced in San Diego County applies.

I don’t think the assumption can be supported. And from whatever number may be accurate, I think we might want to back-out the number of Mexicans killed by Mexicans to get a better picture of risks to 1) tourists and 2) expat residents in both countries.

Also, the report covers the period 2000-2005 when I believe the deaths of persons of Mexican origin in the USA hit a high-water mark. Record levels. Though, I haven’t seen recent numbers to make a better comparison. The comments from the person who started this particular discussion pertain to 2011. So we have somewhat of an apples-to-oranges comparison being made.

A challenge in working through these exercises is finding accurate statistics, though. The report linked above admits that the statistics, solely provided by the Mexican federal government, are incomplete. More Mexicans died in the USA than were reported. Lacking are the numbers of persons whose families paid for the repatriation and funerals themselves, without asking for government assistance.

Anyhow, these are my observations.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:

The point is that the rate of murders has increased substantially. Those visiting should not only be aware but even more careful if planning to visit.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geree View Post

Research report:
Redalyc- Artículo: Apuntes relativos a la repatriación de los cuerpos de los mexicanos fallecidos en Estados Unidos - Migraciones Internacionales
They lost their lives because of their greed and willingness to risk their lives for a dollar. Very different than being murdered by Americans in America, which BTW rarely if ever happens. It is more likely that an American will be by an illegal alien mexican in America.

Quote:
Statistics: Crimes Commited by Illegal Aliens
Quote:

FBI/INS Releases Numbers

]Illegal immigrants cause many problems for The United States. Sometimes referred to as Illegal Aliens, these people have entered the United States via illegal methods. The FBI recently issued a set of statistics regarding crimes committed by illegal immigrants in the United States. The numbers are alarming.
In Los Angeles, over 95% of arrest warrants issued for the crime of murder are for illegal aliens. At least 83% of arrest warrants for murder in Phoenix are for illegal aliens. The number climbs to 86% for Albuquerque. The most wanted lists for each of these cities is comprised of at least 75% illegal aliens.
http://voices.yahoo.com/statistics-crimes-commited-illegal-aliens-434946.htmlhttp://voices.yahoo.com/statistics-crimes-commited-illegal-aliens-434946.html

One death is one too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico