Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

I was reading a book about Arab culture and customs today at Barnes and Noble. It seemed to be written for a target audience of businessmen, diplomats, expats-to-be, and visitors to the region and addressed such themes as hospitality, family structure, religion, and language, as well as regional differences and peculiarities. I enjoyed the down-to-business tone and practical tips it offered. It was also very up to date (2012).

One thing I couldn't help but thinking while paging through the book is how much Arab culture, as portrayed by the book, resembled Mexican culture, particularly in areas such as hospitality, circumlocution (directness), fatalism, and the friend vs. stranger distinction. On the other hand, there were also many differences (especially regarding family and marriage), but the similarities were too striking to be ignored.

Has anybody noticed a similarity between the two cultures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 AM

305 posts, read 750,152 times
No, but I've heard many say Mexican culture is most similar to Italian or Phillipino.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 AM

836 posts, read 2,947,288 times
Before the conquest, what now is Spain was dominated by Arabs (711-1492), so arab influences in the Spanish colonies were inevitable.

Most conquerors came from Andalucia, a region with strong Muslim influence, many Sephardic Jews were also part of the conquerors.

This is very noticeable in northern cities like Monterrey, where customs and even food are resemblances of Arab or Jewish culture.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I was reading a book about Arab culture and customs today at Barnes and Noble. It seemed to be written for a target audience of businessmen, diplomats, expats-to-be, and visitors to the region and addressed such themes as hospitality, family structure, religion, and language, as well as regional differences and peculiarities. I enjoyed the down-to-business tone and practical tips it offered. It was also very up to date (2012).

One thing I couldn't help but thinking while paging through the book is how much Arab culture, as portrayed by the book, resembled Mexican culture, particularly in areas such as hospitality, circumlocution (directness), fatalism, and the friend vs. stranger distinction. On the other hand, there were also many differences (especially regarding family and marriage), but the similarities were too striking to be ignored.

I hadn't, but that is a very interesting observation. I wonder if Precolumbian Meso American culture paralleled Middle Eastern. Zoroastrianism is on my list of things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Before the conquest, what now is Spain was dominated by Arabs (711-1492), so arab influences in the Spanish colonies were inevitable.

Most conquerors came from Andalucia, a region with strong Muslim influence, many Sephardic Jews were also part of the conquerors.

This is very noticeable in northern cities like Monterrey, where customs and even food are resemblances of Arab or Jewish culture.
Good points.

I do enjoy a high-level discussion on world cultures.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:01 PM

356 posts, read 1,065,751 times
There is definitely a connection between Mexico and the Arab world

A look at a more recent connection:

GOOD FOOD IN MEXICO CITY: The Lebanese Connection: Middle Eastern Cuisine in Mexico City

A more distant connection :

Saudi Aramco World : The Mexican Kitchen’s Islamic Connection

Mexico & Morocco - SkyscraperCity

I happen to be one of those Mexicans that always gets confused for middle eastern so this aspect of Mexico really intrigues me.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:14 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Both are more emotive than usual, but I think that's a latitudinal thing. I don't see many cultural similarities.

On a few rare instances, I have seen situations where I assumed that a Central American was Middle Eastern, and vice-versa. These people did admit that they are often mistaken this way. However, with most people from these regions, they are usually distinctive looking enough to figure out the part of the world they come from.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Spanish culture was influenced by both Arabs and Moors so it would be no big surprise. I never thought of Mexicans as having Arab/Moorish blood, but it's an interesting idea.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 AM

395 posts, read 859,134 times
Before the age of trains, waterways defined geography not landmasses.

Mediterrean culture was just that. So it should almost be of zero surprise that there cultures are so much alike.

The north atlantic culture that the brits, germans, and dutch have, was introduced to southern europe only recently.

Also it's worth noting that there was a massive amount of immigration of christian-arabs, jewish-arabs etc to latin america.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
What we how think of as Arab Culture is a vestige of what was, up until a century of so ago, Mediterranean Culture. Before the world wars, there was little difference in the cultures of the Middle East, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Spain, or Morocco.

Much of the cultural value system in Mexico and the rest of Latin America came straight from Spain, and there is still a residue of the old Mediterranean culture of Spain.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I've been keenly aware, all along, through my powers of observation and history readings, the Arab/Jewish characteristics of a number of Mexicans I've encountered over the years.

Not to be stereotypical, the nose structure is what I've noticed the most!

Yes, I've been to Monterrey, and being a great people watcher, I had to remind myself when I was there, a number of times, I'm in Mexico! I'm in Mexico!

And what blood mix are the biggest go-getters in Mexico? Or the Phillippines?

Last edited by tijlover; 11-19-2012 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: add words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico