Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,479,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post

I dont know the current state of mexican drug cartels, but i do know they the irish or italian mafias cant be even compared to them. I always laugh at Mob Wifes show
Yeah there is no comparison at all. Mafiosos dress to the nines and eat in chic restaurants. The only restaurant the animal in the pic above will ever experience in the chow hall in the penitentiary.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 AM

39 posts, read 147,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
This is a ridiculous and offensive question.

NOBODY likes gangs and gang activity anywhere in the world, rich or poor, unless they are IN a gang. And even then, you will find a lot of gangbangers don't like gangs either. They especially don't like the other gangs that they fight over turf with. And they don't like seeing their friends and family become victims of gang violence.

And I don't think you will find too many gangbangers in this forum. Actually, I'm joking. I don't think you will find any.

END OF THREAD
Ejay1 is a known troll across message boards, Don't listen to him, he's a negrito aeta filipino with an inferiority complex, Dude is pissed off because he got banned in anthrocivitas. :-( He's taking his anger on mexicans just because of some guy he got into an argument with in another forum lol. I'm actually here to warn you all.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:33 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
Ejay1 is a known troll across message boards, Don't listen to him, he's a negrito aeta filipino with an inferiority complex, Dude is pissed off because he got banned in anthrocivitas. :-( He's taking his anger on mexicans just because of some guy he got into an argument with in another forum lol. I'm actually here to warn you all.
Well, if he's making a topic with such absurd underlying assumptions, I don't see how anyone could take him seriously.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,999,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, if he's making a topic with such absurd underlying assumptions, I don't see how anyone could take him seriously.
I wouldnt take anything xoltol says as reliable....that loser has been banned in mutliple anthroplogy forums for his vicious racist rants against dominican, african americans, central americans, and middle easterners.

well given my experience with mexicans I have been getting mixed responses about topic

Last edited by ejay1; 12-24-2012 at 09:31 PM..

Old 12-26-2012, 09:57 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
I wouldnt take anything xoltol says as reliable....that loser has been banned in mutliple anthroplogy forums for his vicious racist rants against dominican, african americans, central americans, and middle easterners.

well given my experience with mexicans I have been getting mixed responses about topic
Well, someone being off his rocker doesn't mean that you're on yours

Old 06-27-2014, 10:55 PM

366 posts, read 645,304 times
I grew up in the heart of gang territory. Generally I never understood why the most attractive Mexicans and Latinas liked gangs members up until they graduated school. I found that alot of Mexican youth joined gangs for this very reason. As for what we thought of them in my school.....

Well the group of guys I hung out with were rowdy and never were scared of a fight. The difference here is that we were still mentally kids and didn't pummel, stab , beat or shoot people, while the gang members had reputations of seriously doing the worst things imaginable. I learned to avoid gang members , and I also developed my own style of dress that took elements of the Chicano gang culture. I see these elements on every race of youth today and youd be surprised how much of American youth culture is taken from Mexican American gangs.

Since Ive travelled across America now, I find it funny to see brands like:

Obey, Zephyr, rebel 8, Ed Hardy, actively promoting Mexican American gang culture. I also find it amusing to see suburban white-asian and black kids with all the inkwork and tattoo styles Mexican gangs created. You cant turn on a rap video today without seeing some sort of Mexican gang related tattoo work on blacks from New York, Mississippi, The Midwest!

So in short as a Mexican American, I have dual loyalties to Mexican gangs. They influenced styles of dress, they gave Mexican people some sort of identity, they also have one of the strongest American born cultures on this continent. I feel flattered to see white chicks in Seattle or Portland dressing like Cat von D or using Chicano style tattoos. I turn on the televison and I see Mexican gang art on chrysler commercials on Lil Wayne and yet this is supposed to be the worst my culture offers!

Thus Mexican gang culture is tied to American youth culture and even young wannabee latinos find an identity amongst mexican gangs. They may be criminals but their our criminals.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:37 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Obey
Absolutely does not represent gang culture at all. You should read about its creator, Shepard Fairey and his motivations behind his street art including the Obey logo. He is a thoughtful and compelling person who *probably* in no way promotes gangs or its lifestyle. If gang members are wearing the OBEY logo, it's either a coincidence or they have no idea what it actually is or why it exists.

Shepard Fairey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, by gangs does the OP mean groups like Los Zetas or the little faux punks who wear weird loose-fitting clothing, wandering around trying to assert their perceived sense of superiority and street smarts/toughness? I get the impression these folks in the latter group are all bark and no bite. Here I find this lifestyle popular among the low income and low education crowd in their late teens to thirties. I don't think the average person aspires to it unless they have grown up in an environment that perpetuates that kind of living. Must be similar in Mexico, I'd imagine.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:32 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
I grew up in the heart of gang territory. Generally I never understood why the most attractive Mexicans and Latinas liked gangs members up until they graduated school. I found that alot of Mexican youth joined gangs for this very reason. As for what we thought of them in my school.....

Well the group of guys I hung out with were rowdy and never were scared of a fight. The difference here is that we were still mentally kids and didn't pummel, stab , beat or shoot people, while the gang members had reputations of seriously doing the worst things imaginable. I learned to avoid gang members , and I also developed my own style of dress that took elements of the Chicano gang culture. I see these elements on every race of youth today and youd be surprised how much of American youth culture is taken from Mexican American gangs.

Since Ive travelled across America now, I find it funny to see brands like:

Obey, Zephyr, rebel 8, Ed Hardy, actively promoting Mexican American gang culture. I also find it amusing to see suburban white-asian and black kids with all the inkwork and tattoo styles Mexican gangs created. You cant turn on a rap video today without seeing some sort of Mexican gang related tattoo work on blacks from New York, Mississippi, The Midwest!

So in short as a Mexican American, I have dual loyalties to Mexican gangs. They influenced styles of dress, they gave Mexican people some sort of identity, they also have one of the strongest American born cultures on this continent. I feel flattered to see white chicks in Seattle or Portland dressing like Cat von D or using Chicano style tattoos. I turn on the televison and I see Mexican gang art on chrysler commercials on Lil Wayne and yet this is supposed to be the worst my culture offers!

Thus Mexican gang culture is tied to American youth culture and even young wannabee latinos find an identity amongst mexican gangs. They may be criminals but their our criminals.
I don't have anything against anyone, but I think the proliferation of gang culture is embarrasing to Mexican-Americans and if anything it makes me sad and disappointed that youth glamourize that culture.

We also had alot to do with influencing the growth of skateboarding culture as an industry (Stacey Peralta, Tony Alba, Steve Caballero and others) and have been very involved in the music industry in punk, rock, metal. I would rather people see us for that and recognize our influence in those sectors than being recognized for something as violent and destructive as gang culture.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Absolutely does not represent gang culture at all. You should read about its creator, Shepard Fairey and his motivations behind his street art including the Obey logo. He is a thoughtful and compelling person who *probably* in no way promotes gangs or its lifestyle. If gang members are wearing the OBEY logo, it's either a coincidence or they have no idea what it actually is or why it exists.

Shepard Fairey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, by gangs does the OP mean groups like Los Zetas or the little faux punks who wear weird loose-fitting clothing, wandering around trying to assert their perceived sense of superiority and street smarts/toughness? I get the impression these folks in the latter group are all bark and no bite. Here I find this lifestyle popular among the low income and low education crowd in their late teens to thirties. I don't think the average person aspires to it unless they have grown up in an environment that perpetuates that kind of living. Must be similar in Mexico, I'd imagine.
Now I wont get to into it but a BIG HUGE PERCETAGE of what is coming out as teen fashion has alot of Mexican American gang related symbolism. A few years ago when Ed Hardy and Stars and Straps was popular even more so. But all these tattoo shows also stereotype the Mexican American gang stye of art that chicanos been wearing since the 1900s.

I see people DAILY, with fonts,scripts and symbols of gang related **** but to them it looks COOL. A good case in point would be good charlotte, sublime, suicidal tendencies, skater gear..ETC ECT.

OBEY

Has a TON of chicano art directly tied to Mexican American streetgangs. TONS! Heres a few links to what I found:

- LOS ZETAS SYMBOLS

CHICANO GANG SCRIPT
https://svpply.com/item/44803/OBEY_C...IN_THE_STREETS

EDHARDY

Is completely mexican american and gang related. The dude grew up in the heart of Chicano gang culture in EAST LA and most everything he has is gang related.

ZEPHYR skate

Well........considering their logo is the logo of the oldest latino gang in Los Angeles....DOGTOWN 13?

STARS AND STRAPS?

All designed by hispanic gang members LA. Just take a look at Travis Barker. Tatted head to toe in Mexican ang related fashion.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I don't have anything against anyone, but I think the proliferation of gang culture is embarrasing to Mexican-Americans and if anything it makes me sad and disappointed that youth glamourize that culture.

We also had alot to do with influencing the growth of skateboarding culture as an industry (Stacey Peralta, Tony Alba, Steve Caballero and others) and have been very involved in the music industry in punk, rock, metal. I would rather people see us for that and recognize our influence in those sectors than being recognized for something as violent and destructive as gang culture.

The skateboard culture you see us as having influenced ( I AGREE ) heavily was influenced not by Mexican American civilians. It was influenced HEAVILY by CHOLOS. PERIOD. Even the symbol of Zephyr is the symbol of the dogtown 13 gang which goes back to the early 1900s.

Those white kids in that area grew up seeing chicano gang culture and they spun it their way and took it to the rest of America. Skater culture is probably the largest perpetuartor of chicano gang culture...with the style of writing, the artwork and clothing of Mexican American streetgangs! Suburban white kids in the burbs of every city America are wearing stuff today that is laced heavily with Chicano SOCAL gang culture.

What I also found funny is how East Coast white kids...gave themselves the name GUIDO, while wearing Ed Hardy and rocking chicano gang cultures inkwork! Ed Hardy is directly responsible for being one of the first to actually bring Cholo culture to the world and he made it mainstream.

Shoot even VANS look directly tied to the prison culture of Mexican American streetgangs, because those shoes are identical to the chino that prisoners were given in the 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico