Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Mirror, mirror ... on the wall ...
No one is denying the USA has race issues -- but I've never seen a black singer show as much resentment and hatred toward whites. Yes in Mexico some mestizos are successful, just as in the USA so are some blacks very successful. Herman Cain for example is a very successful businessman, but race is still an issue in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 PM

758 posts, read 2,243,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
How about an impassioned, honest opinion from their own observations, that had some negative overtones.......

I think there is a lot of your statement from above and quoted below and, not just the color of skin, in some of American societal judgments. Just as there are in yours. It is so easy to hate on America and not recognize your own racism and bigotry. You all always speak in generalizations and paint a broad brush about what America thinks and does, and yet you chastise people that you accuse of the same thing in your country.

"How someone behaves, acts, speaks can severely restrict their social mobility and social interactions."
Hmmm... I think you meant to send that to someone else. I don't necessarily understand what "hating on" is, but I highly doubt that I did... whatever that actually means. (urban dictionary did it's best to explain to my non-native English speaking mind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post

All countries have their contradictions... I'm sure someone else here will start to pull and point out the U.S.'s contradictions. I will not waste my time doing that.

You sound like in real life you'd be something like this:

SNL's "The Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started a Conversation With At a Party" - YouTube

Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 PM

275 posts, read 979,566 times
Why always white people have to be laveled with the word "racist".

Being white in mexico is not a good deal. White people have to avoid public schools, because they could receive bullying(as in the next years will happen with white people at public schools XD).

If you are white in mexico, you will be always the favorite target of robbers, and assaulters.

If you are white in mexico, common people will ask you a higher price for a product.

If you are white in mexico and you are playing a sport game, maybe you will receive more kicks than the other ones.

and, if you are a white woman, maybe mestizos will yell you offensive-sexual comments.

agur.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 PM

836 posts, read 2,951,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
It is labeled. Maybe is because there are more white racist than the other people.

Quote:
Being white in mexico is not a good deal. White people have to avoid public schools, because they could receive bullying(as in the next years will happen with white people at public schools XD).

If you are white in mexico, you will be always the favorite target of robbers, and assaulters.

If you are white in mexico, common people will ask you a higher price for a product.

If you are white in mexico and you are playing a sport game, maybe you will receive more kicks than the other ones.

and, if you are a white woman, maybe mestizos will yell you offensive-sexual comments.

agur.
That's not true at all...

Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:

agur.
Yup... white people in Mexico have it super bad...

Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,954,131 times
Being WHITE and a GRINGO will in some cases mean a higher asking price for an item.....depwending on thw situation and where. Speaking/understanding a little Spanish will make a BIG difference when shopping etc.

Case in point. Friend and I were at the local weekend swap meet/flea mkt here in Baja and the friend sees a 4 drawer dresser he needed. The seller was talking to a woman in Spanish of course and she asked the man how much the dresser was and he told her $35 in Pesos. I motioned to the man and asked how much the dresser was and he replied in ENGLISH $40.00.

Slightly different situations have happened to me also until I speak out in a knowleged form of Spanish so they generally will smile and change their tone.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,345,351 times
Quote:

agur.
Whites are labeled racists because we are usually the racists.

We get asked for a higher price because it is assumed we have the money.

White women get whistles and offensive comments from White men so what else is new?

I haven't heard of any White kids being mistreated in schools here. Usually the White kid, the foreigner, is very popular.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 AM

275 posts, read 979,566 times
Well, if you go to a party or a nightclub at Neza or Iztapalapa and you are white; maybe everybody will look at you in a strange way, as if you were from Mars. This was my experience two times when i assisted to those places because i had a friend from there.

I think is not fair that people ask you for more money only because you look different. Remember that there is a very small percentage of poor whites in Mexico, or at least of middle-low class.

White boys at Conalep, Cobach of something like that always suffer bullying; maybe at a private "fresa" school not, but in a public school yes. Why in a private school not? Because, remember, always people who go to a private school is because they are wealthy or they are "aspirationals".

Old 04-06-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Well, if you go to a party or a nightclub at Neza or Iztapalapa and you are white; maybe everybody will look at you in a strange way, as if you were from Mars. This was my experience two times when i assisted to those places because i had a friend from there.

I think is not fair that people ask you for more money only because you look different. Remember that there is a very small percentage of poor whites in Mexico, or at least of middle-low class.

White boys at Conalep, Cobach of something like that always suffer bullying; maybe at a private "fresa" school not, but in a public school yes. Why in a private school not? Because, remember, always people who go to a private school is because they are wealthy or they are "aspirationals".
You probably went to Neza with a "I'm better than you" mentality and dressed to the 9's, that's why you got stared at. Has nothing to do with your skin color and everything to do with how you behave. I actually have a Jewish friend that works with an NGO out in Ecatepec... probably looks 'whiter' than you... and has no issues. You must go in with a 'creido' attitude...

Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,508,022 times
Quote:

agur.
There's a lot of truth in the above comments, from what I've witnessed/experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico