Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 AM

109 posts, read 532,123 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: use only english.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Finally I see a very cool post, and you can see he is not a shamed of his roots, wish there were more people like you mexican or not.
Thanks!!!.

P.S: Cachanilla= Mexican from Baja California.
Jarocho= Mexican from Veracruz.
guanato= Mexican from Guanajuato.
cora= from Nayarit.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-30-2007 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: use only english
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 01:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Good thread -- I don't know if some slang words can be mentioned here. But to really understand real conversations and communications -- you have to know the slangs including the less than polite words because I hear them a lot.

The "ch" word -- with just about every suffix -- ese ch___adero, vamos a ch___azos, ese ch___on -- one can say pretty much anything they're trying to say it sometimes seems.

It's like anything -- it all depends on how it's said -- but in order to understand another language -- you have to know all the kinds of words. Which are not necessarily bad slang, which may or may not be -- and which always are bad.

I've found a rule of thumb -- Americans should avoid use of slang. It's not always possible to know all the implications -- but they should learn the meanings.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 12,032 times
I am Mexican and I really have never heard of Que hay? as being part of the same context for oWhat's up?. Most all of mExico only uses Que pasa?or que onda?

Old 09-24-2008, 01:33 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunho003 View Post
I am Mexican and I really have never heard of Que hay? as being part of the same context for oWhat's up?. Most all of mExico only uses Que pasa?or que onda?
I have heard que hay...
Another one is "que'uvole"...same as what up.
Another one same as chale is chintrolas.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:46 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
These are from Oaxaca... learning slowly :P

-estar crudo (to be hung over)/ Estoy crudo/cruda
-chela- beer
-Orale! - cool
-Hijole!- oh my gosh!
-Pinche as in Pinche gringo (where you hear it the most :P)- similar to the f word
-desmadre- snafu
-all the forms of chingar (chinga tu madre, chingada, etc)- different forms of the f word
-llenita- normally means chubby but also my host mom uses it as full (as in of food)
-antojitos- finger foody snacks like tacos
-aguacate- avocado (I was always taught that avocado is the same word in English and Spanish and in some parts of Mexico, it is. Just not in Oaxaca)
-maguey- agave

Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
This is a neat thread, I'm glad it got resurrected.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

-chela- beer
-Orale! - cool
-Hijole!- oh my gosh!
-Pinche as in Pinche gringo (where you hear it the most :P)- similar to the f word
-desmadre- snafu
-all the forms of chingar (chinga tu madre, chingada, etc)- different forms of the f word
-llenita- normally means chubby but also my host mom uses it as full (as in of food)
-aguacate- avocado (I was always taught that avocado is the same word in English and Spanish and in some parts of Mexico, it is. Just not in Oaxaca)
-maguey- agave
The word antojito is actually correct Spanish.
I thought maguey was also a native word but I could be wrong.
Aguacate comes from the word ahuacatl which comes from the nahuatl language of the Aztecs.

I have heard some of these from other states too.
I like using desmadre from time to time.

I like how we use "chiquito" or "chiquita" as a term of endearment to mean "baby" instead of "small".

Pintate-get out of my sight
hechale ojo-look at that or be alert
voy a pistear-I'm going out to drink
voy a planchar oreja-I'm going to sleep

Old 09-28-2008, 10:23 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Now for funny:

Several bad Spanish words here in the USA are quite 'clean':

There is a 'Pinch'; a small town in West Virginia........and the present tense would be 'pinches'---------as in the stream pinches down to go through the hole in the wall.

An important man of an Arizona college is named Christopher Pu to.

Then there is 'Naco', Az.-----------a small town on the Az/Sn border.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:14 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,720 times
Mucho gracias! Great thread, guys! Gonna write these down! Voy a pistear

Old 09-28-2008, 09:30 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

-chela- beer
-Orale! - cool
-Hijole!- oh my gosh!
-desmadre- snafu
-maguey- agave
most of those are used throughout Mexico LOL.

Desmadre is one of my favorites, hehehehehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico