Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:35 AM

391 posts, read 872,997 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone just checking out this site. I wish I knew spanish better. Nice to see some of you from my other site. Travellingfella sassyone says hi she's my best bud. AZ bear & malamute nice to see you here as well. Nice to see familiar names and hope to get to know the rest of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
This slang is very popular around Central America in general, I think as you get closer to the US its usage decreases, Chale is something I rarely hear in the US but in Mexico City it is seems to be said quite frequently.

I rarely hear this form of "Wey" usually when I hear it, it is prefixed with a "p**che" and is very disrespectful..but funny.
I was talking on phone to sassyone she says hello to you & misses seeing your posts.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:53 AM

I have been married to a spanish speaking man for 17 years. I taught him English but I did not get the spanish lessons. I have told him this is a conspiracy so I won't always know what he is talking about. hehe. I can listen and usually pick up the idea they are talking about. Other than moving to mexico for 3 months what is the best way to learn the language other than the bad words which of course I know?

Last edited by chey2u; 09-29-2008 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-29-2008, 06:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chey2u View Post
I have been married to a spanish speaking man for 17 years. I taught him English but I did not get the spanish lessons. I have told him this is a conspiracy so I won't always know what he is talking about. hehe. I can listen and usually pick up the idea they are talking about. Other than moving to mexico for 3 months what is the best way to learn the language other than the bad words which of course I know?
This I will say: if Spanish is spoken slowly and clearly; oftentimes I understand quite a bit of what is said.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chey2u View Post
I think if you can't go to Mexico, you should rent/buy some Mexican movies and watch them over and over until you understand every word they're saying. Ones with plots you want to understand of course, but that way you see facial expressions and the context in which something is said. Or music that you like that you can play over and over until you understand everything. That imitates more the way we acquired our first language, and you hear the different accents/tones/inflections and so on.

It's best to just go live and travel in a country whose language you're learning though because then you do it the sink or swim method which I think is the quickest.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
This I will say: if Spanish is spoken slowly and clearly; oftentimes I understand quite a bit of what is said.

Thats me too Bear. But I swear they talk at the speed of light around me. When we have BQ with our spanish friends I just tend to have a glazed look. Thank God I am the hostess or I might die of boredome or brain melt from trying to understand,

Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think if you can't go to Mexico, you should rent/buy some Mexican movies and watch them over and over until you understand every word they're saying. Ones with plots you want to understand of course, but that way you see facial expressions and the context in which something is said. Or music that you like that you can play over and over until you understand everything. That imitates more the way we acquired our first language, and you hear the different accents/tones/inflections and so on.

It's best to just go live and travel in a country whose language you're learning though because then you do it the sink or swim method which I think is the quickest.
I agree with all of those suggestions and I do get to be lucky and watch SABADO HIGANTE. LOL It actually drives me a bit crazy and of course my husband loves their costumes or lack there of. He also sometimes if he is is the mood will explain things. Today we have been married 16 years together 17. I learn more spanish from talking to the other wives.They are trying to better their english so we go back and forth explaining.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Just today, it occurred to me thzt the typical American teenager probably goes through his/her entire summer vacation within the confines of about a 200 word vocabulary, (with each word separated by a "like") It wouild be interesting if somebody could make a lexicon of the common words used in almost every conversation by Mexican teenagers.

"Oh . . my . . . god, So, she's like 'go a-way!' and I'm like 'du-uh'!"

Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
The word antojito is actually correct Spanish.
I thought maguey was also a native word but I could be wrong.
Aguacate comes from the word ahuacatl which comes from the nahuatl language of the Aztecs.

I have heard some of these from other states too.
I like using desmadre from time to time.

I like how we use "chiquito" or "chiquita" as a term of endearment to mean "baby" instead of "small".

Pintate-get out of my sight
hechale ojo-look at that or be alert
voy a pistear-I'm going out to drink
voy a planchar oreja-I'm going to sleep
Here's one for you...

Voy a hechar la masa!

My dad's friend would say this when he would have to go take a dump.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:23 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,047,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Here's one for you...

Voy a hechar la masa!

My dad's friend would say this when he would have to go take a dump.
ewww! lol...very funny.
My grandfather used to say, "voy a hablar por telefono" or "voy a mi oficina" (For those non spanish speaking, it means, "I am going to talk on the phone" or "I am going to my office".

Back in the day, it was a luxery to hear of anyone have an office or a telephone. We had neither...lol. but we knew where he was going...hechar la masa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico