Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 06:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I don't know what caused me to "drift" from the established pattern. I just remember having an interest in nature from a very young age.
That's a good point -- you also don't really find many black Americans in national parks hiking or in RV campgrounds sitting around a bonfire.

Oprah Winfrey even had something very funny about that where she went camping with her friend Gayle in Yosemite Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Except for my brother-law I personally don't know too many blacks that like to ski, hike and camp out in the wilderness, but I'm aware that there are some that do enjoy those things. You also have to look at it economically as well, many blacks as well as other groups do not have that much expendable resources that is afforded for them to travel long distances.
Economically though going to Mexico was actually the economical trip to take. You could get on a bus and stay in the cheapest imaginable hotels and even rent a hammock and stay in a hut in some places -- you would see white Americans, Canadians, French and Germans traveling around like that.

It was cheaper to travel in Mexico than within the USA but you still didn't see many or any black Americans. Some of the bus lines and trains we would take were incredibly cheap, and made Greyhound seem on the expensive side. That might all be changing now -- but still most blacks I know don't seem to interested in traveling around Mexico, not even to the beaches, mention Jamaica or Barbados and their eyes light up so I think it's just different tastes.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:41 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
Hello, im not trying to generalize, but american travelers in mexico are almost white. I live in Mexico City, on a crowded area for international tourists(Chapultepec & Polanco).

I always try to listen the accent of all the tourists that visit us, and in most of cases i listen american and french accents.

In Mexico City and other areas of Mexico is very hard to african-american tourists, even mexican-american(not visiting their relatives).

Do african-americans have different perspectives when they plan a trip?
You ever see horror films? Black people don't go for night strolls in bewitched forests. We don't pick up flashlights and go investigate, alone, the basement of some abandoned and haunted house because we heard a noise. Only white people do that.

Plus, if you're black you're going to be the first one killed.

What does this have to do with Mexico? The take away lesson: we don't want to go carousing in some Mexican plaza to get kidnapped and held for ransom for our food-stamps. (U.S. news on Mexico is 99% bad, about violence etc.)

I joke.

No I don't.

Watch some Kat Williams on youtube. About "Spanish" people: Katt Williams Spanish People

On a real tip... you have Black-Americans from the "hood" that often don't leave off their side of town very much. And you want them to leave the country?

The better educated and financially well off Black-Americans--I would guess at least--probably tend to travel to the African continent and nations outside of Africa that have sizable populations of black African descendants. That's my guess.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:09 AM

76 posts, read 209,330 times
You have a very poor concept of AA.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
I found Mexican food in El Paso to be at least as good as most I found in Chihuahua.

Perhaps due to the fact that El Paso pretty much is Mexico...
But every state in Mexico has their own varied cuisine, so just because one Mexican state has similar food to an American state does not mean that all states in Mexico have the same cuisine as Chichuahua. I have only visited 2 Mexican states; Guanajuato and Queretaro and they're nothing like the U.S. culturally or structurally. It's laughable how some members here who haven't even been to Mexico claim that the U.S. is basically Mexico already. Most of those members like Malmute come from the illegal immigration forums and they simply like to stir up discussions on the issue in every thread that involves Mexicans or Latinos.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
But every state in Mexico has their own varied cuisine, so just because one Mexican state has similar food to an American state does not mean that all states in Mexico have the same cuisine as Chichuahua. I have only visited 2 Mexican states; Guanajuato and Queretaro and they're nothing like the U.S. culturally or structurally. It's laughable how some members here who haven't even been to Mexico claim that the U.S. is basically Mexico already. Most of those members like Malmute come from the illegal immigration forums and they simply like to stir up discussions on the issue in every thread that involves Mexicans or Latinos.
Well I've visited almost all the Mexican states. It's really kind of a lie to say that I claimed the food in Mexico is just like in the USA. Of course the food has a lot of regional variations -- like the banana leaves on tamales in Veracruz but corn husks in Chihuahua. (not Chichuahua)

Mexico is a whole different topic than illegals btw - people living in Mexico and loving their own country has nothing to do with illegals in the USA who obviously fled their country for the easy money.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well I've visited almost all the Mexican states. It's really kind of a lie to say that I claimed the food in Mexico is just like in the USA. Of course the food has a lot of regional variations -- like the banana leaves on tamales in Veracruz but corn husks in Chihuahua. (not Chichuahua)

Mexico is a whole different topic than illegals btw - people living in Mexico and loving their own country has nothing to do with illegals in the USA who obviously fled their country for the easy money.
You didn't personally say it but you were agreeing with people who said some U.S. cities had turned into Mexico because of the food, flags and music (music is also as varied as the U.S.) as if that's all there is to culture.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:09 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Economically though going to Mexico was actually the economical trip to take. You could get on a bus and stay in the cheapest imaginable hotels and even rent a hammock and stay in a hut in some places -- you would see white Americans, Canadians, French and Germans traveling around like that.

It was cheaper to travel in Mexico than within the USA but you still didn't see many or any black Americans. Some of the bus lines and trains we would take were incredibly cheap, and made Greyhound seem on the expensive side. That might all be changing now -- but still most blacks I know don't seem to interested in traveling around Mexico, not even to the beaches, mention Jamaica or Barbados and their eyes light up so I think it's just different tastes.
I'm just guessing but if you are just "living" why would you want to go anywhere else "on the cheap?" The people that I know who are just eeking by want to go on a vacation and feel like they have something rather than go somewhere else and live the same way that they live at home.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
You didn't personally say it but you were agreeing with people who said some U.S. cities had turned into Mexico because of the food, flags and music (music is also as varied as the U.S.) as if that's all there is to culture.
A fake kind of Mexico filled with people who love the big easy money of the USA more than they love their own country but then put up a false kind of patriotism to a country they were perfectly happy to leave -- no I don't really like that, any more than you'd like to see whole areas of Mexico become like a US city. I would think it would be very disrespectful for Americans living in Mexico to put up USA flags.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I'm just guessing but if you are just "living" why would you want to go anywhere else "on the cheap?" The people that I know who are just eeking by want to go on a vacation and feel like they have something rather than go somewhere else and live the same way that they live at home.
Yes that's probably part of it. I still think it's got more to do with difference in tastes, even poor black Americans travel but they might not really prefer traveling to Canada or Mexico. I think it's pretty much the same when it comes to travel to Canada.

I know some people have different ideas of what a vacation should be, someone was talking about going to Colorado and I asked if they were going hiking and camping, this woman thought that was quite funny and said her idea of a vacation isn't sleeping on the ground with bugs, but staying at a Hilton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico