Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:43 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Mexican immigrants, especially in California, use words a lot harsher than "negro" to describe black Americans, so it has given a perception of the country as racist. I remember reading a story years ago about a group of three or four brothers (blood brothers, not "brothas" ) from Oakland who went to Tijuana, one had a Mexican-American girlfriend. Well, a group of Mexican dudes in a bar did not like that fact, and jumped the brothers. The police were called, and instead of breaking up the fight, they joined in and killed one of the Americans. That kind of thing doesn't endear people to the country when they have the option to travel to Jamaica or Barbados instead where they can be among their own.
I am confused by your post. Is it about Mexican immigrants or Mexicans in Mexico? Seems all over the place.

There's ignorant people all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 PM

154 posts, read 454,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Very very few are here picking crops. There are fewer than 1 million total jobs in agriculture in the USA and not all of it is foreign labor by a long shot. High estimates have 25% of those jobs filled by illegals which means maybe 250,000 illegals are actually working in agriculture.

No I don't think most illegals are doing anything close to back breaking work in the USA. Many work construction which is physical labor but so do many Americans work in construction -- and you don't hear them whining.

why dont you take your diatribe to the illegal immigration forum where all your bodies will agree with you, we are not talking about illegal immigration here.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
Wow. So, you think that poverty in Latin America is comparable to that of the USA?

And that very poor people with very little economic oppotunity who have left their homes to work in a foreign land are arrogant people who hate their homeland??

And that back breaking, hard labor jobs such as picking crops, are "easy money"???

Wow. Just, WOW!
I stopped entertaining their comments a long time ago. Malamute's comments are a mix of irreverence, nescience to the point of total cluelessness, with a dash of 'get the hell out of my country, Mexicans'. Trying to level with that type of misinformation and a litany of fact-free posts was entirely way too much effort for me. Stop while you're ahead.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:32 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The Heartbeat of El Paso: Mexican Food Capital of the World Tamale Charm

El Paso is consistently voted the Mexican Food Capital of the World -- and if you haven't spent time in El Paso, you would not realize how very Mexican it is.

Of course they live the easy life here -- if they didn't they wouldn't all be so happily abandoning their own country to come and live here. They obviously prefer being poor in the USA than staying in their own country where they speak the language and know the culture.

Mexican food capital of the world? As George Clooney said in "From Dusk till Dawn - "Somehow I doubt that. " Somehow I imagine the best Mexican food is somewhere in Mexico.

Sounds like a standard delusional Texas boast.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 PM

154 posts, read 454,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Mexican food capital of the world? As George Clooney said in "From Dusk till Dawn - "Somehow I doubt that. " Somehow I imagine the best Mexican food is somewhere in Mexico.

Not only that, there is a book claiming that Americans invented Mexican food. The author of the book (Gustavo arellano) claims that when he went to Mexico city Mexicans didn’t eat Mexican food. And that what passes for authentic Mexican food (not tex mex) is in reality an American invention. come on a burrito is just a big taco. I had heard some claims that Mexican music was invented in America, it wouldn’t surprise me that in the future they will claim that mariachi is an American invention, believe it or not, some American guy claims that is great grand father invented the Mexican anthem, and he actually as the copyright for it.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:07 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedstatian View Post
Not only that, there is a book claiming that Americans invented Mexican food. The author of the book (Gustavo arellano) claims that when he went to Mexico city Mexicans didn’t eat Mexican food. And that what passes for authentic Mexican food (not tex mex) is in reality an American invention. come on a burrito is just a big taco. I had heard some claims that Mexican music was invented in America, it wouldn’t surprise me that in the future they will claim that mariachi is an American invention, believe it or not, some American guy claims that is great grand father invented the Mexican anthem, and he actually as the copyright for it.
Ya know if ya think about it, Mexicans probably didn't even invent Mexican food. I'll bet the Olmecs were making corn tortillas long before the Mexica ever migrated to the Tenochtitlan area. I'll bet my lunch archeological evidence can be found in Anthropologia.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,300 times
Quote:

I found Mexican food in El Paso to be at least as good as most I found in Chihuahua.

Perhaps due to the fact that El Paso pretty much is Mexico...

Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Many trs back was visiting TJ with a Mexican/American lady friend. At the time had just recently returned to Calif after living in Mexico City for 3 yrs.

WE walked up and down Avenida Constitution looking for a place to have a bite. Every place she suggested I would decline up to the point she said I was being picky or whatever at the time.

Having completed our walk and standing at a corner spotted a cart surrounded by people (a good sign in Mexico).

We walked across to the cart and I observed the man chopping on the meat while at the same time the aroma started to remind me of Mexico City food.

Asked the man for two helpings (one for my friend and another for myself) this was for a test.

She bit into the Taco and said "Yes this is delicious" where I smiled and asked the man "dos mas por favor" (two more Please).

So you see it is a matter of the meat being cooked...the quality and what part of the Bull (Cabeza the head being delicious) is being prepared.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM

8 posts, read 19,759 times
Quote:
Ya know if ya think about it, Mexicans probably didn't even invent Mexican food. I'll bet the Olmecs were making corn tortillas long before the Mexica ever migrated to the Tenochtitlan area. I'll bet my lunch archeological evidence can be found in Anthropologia.
there is a rumor that the south part of US was actually taken from mexico, so yes many mexican archeological things might be under us property right now

Old 04-05-2013, 06:34 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
It is funny to me when people here say that El Paso is "just like Mexico." It really isn't. I mean, it is only a few feet from Mexico, and there are a lot of Mexicans here (including nationals) but once you cross that bridge... It is like everything just feels... different. (And I'm not talking about the crime on the southern side of the border, or anything like that, either.)

And the food... I swear, the food is better just across the river in Juarez than El Paso, and I cannot figure out why! (Sometimes they proclaim El Paso to be "The Mexican Food Capital of the World" and I think, you must be joking right?! I mean, "of the World?!?" I guess these who claim this have never heard of a place called, um... Mexico!!)

And there are much nicer parts of Mexico once you get away from the border area... and more varied cuisine than one could ever find in the U.S... Anyway, one has to actually GO to Mexico to really experience it.

And most Mexican immigrants in the U.S. are definitely not living "the easy life".
As I sit here in Richmond California listening to my neighbors mariachi music blasting, I will say you are right. I used to live 7 miles from the border in Chula Vista CA. Once you cross that border you know you've entered a whole new world. No town, even one by the border with a high Mexican/Mexican-American population is truly like Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico