Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,690,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
But we are very light-hearted about race. To us, we are aware of the racist history of the U.S. but are not aware of the consciousness of it. We say stupid stuff all the time that is interpreted as derogatory in the U.S. We call people "prieto" (dark-skinned) "negro"(black)... but we also call people "gordo"(fat) and "Chato"(flat faced).... I think this is where black people that just get their feet in Mexican culture get spooked by. For instance, if you're black, and you're not a good dancer, we will wonder out loud what is wrong with you.
Mexicans and Latinos in general don't really understand the concept that you can't mention things out loud about a persons appearance or characteristics. The nickname "Gordito" is very common for men, and "flaca" (skinny) is sometimes used for women. Don't go overboard especially if you are a gringo as they may not take kindly unless you say it correctly.

I watched a stiff white skinned Argentine try to dance in a Mexican club full of mostly black and brown people, and they were merciless.

But there is a very rich list of racial slurs in Mexican Spanish that would overwhelm English. I heard a song by Maldita Vecindad (a ska group from Mexico City) where they strung all the slurs into one song in a plea for racial and ethnic tolerance. Unfortunately, I can't find it on youtube, but you would need a Mexican to translate it since it is very idiomatic.

Maldita Vecindad-Pachuco - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,657,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Mexico's varied and rich culture is all over the U.S. Soon it will be on top of the U.S. I realize how diverse Mexican culture is. Mexican culture is set to become the dominant culture in the U.S. That's great....if your Mexican. Seems a bit unbalanced to me.
Good point. I wouldn't mind it so much if a good portion of the immigrants had arrived here legally. It's hard to sanction law breaking to my mind. I have many different cultures in my family and business so am not prejudiced. I think the country of Mexico is beautiful and some of the people are nice. Not much for the food though as my spectrum follows Asian food.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
The world is changing, lady---so it would be best to be flexible and just enjoy life without worrying about what ethnicity is dominant. And for the record, droves of Mexican have gone back to Mexico in the past 5 years. In fact, more people are going back than coming across the border. Economic opportunities in Mexico are on the rise. Many Americans are also going there for better jobs (imagine that?).

The collective karma of all the cruelty waged by white people to native and brown and black people will come back to bite us in the backside---that's for sure, darlin'. It's best to make peace with your latino neighbors now. Don't perpetuate the awful cycle by hating. It is what it is (<<<as much a I hate this cliche---it does fit here).
Gosh, how condescending and threatening. I think she was just stating a true fact without all the embellishments in this post. How sad.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
It is funny to me when people here say that El Paso is "just like Mexico." It really isn't. I mean, it is only a few feet from Mexico, and there are a lot of Mexicans here (including nationals) but once you cross that bridge... It is like everything just feels... different. (And I'm not talking about the crime on the southern side of the border, or anything like that, either.)

And the food... I swear, the food is better just across the river in Juarez than El Paso, and I cannot figure out why! (Sometimes they proclaim El Paso to be "The Mexican Food Capital of the World" and I think, you must be joking right?! I mean, "of the World?!?" I guess these who claim this have never heard of a place called, um... Mexico!!)

And there are much nicer parts of Mexico once you get away from the border area... and more varied cuisine than one could ever find in the U.S... Anyway, one has to actually GO to Mexico to really experience it.

And most Mexican immigrants in the U.S. are definitely not living "the easy life".
Good post and you obviously know what you are talking about....LOL. Mexican food isn't my favorite cruisine, except for some tacos I get at one of the many, many stands here in florida. They are sooo good. But, every other thing I try, mostly when I was in New Mexico, it wasn't my cup of tea. I do like American food very much and think the regional diversity is awesome!

If Mexco is such a paradise, and the immigrants aren't living the "easy life" here in America, comparatively speaking, why are they still here and more coming ? Isn't that the rheoteric of our government...'just wanting a better life'?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:08 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,136,496 times
Quote:
Simetime, I think you probably wouldn't enjoy Mexico anyway, regardless of your color. When you go with a lot of preconceptions about a group of people, and certain expectations and somewhat of a chip on your shoulder... it generally doesn't make for the best trips.

If you ever decide to take a trip down here, make sure to come with an open mind and thick skin. Mexicans will call you "negro" or "negrito" and it is not offensive or derogatory. Most Mexicans celebrated when president Obama won, many little Mexican girls admire Michelle Obama, and like I said earlier, one of our national heroes, Vicente Guerrero (an entire state is named after him) was black. Toña la Negra was a well-known singer... even several Novelas cast black people as primary and secondary characters

But we are very light-hearted about race. To us, we are aware of the racist history of the U.S. but are not aware of the consciousness of it. We say stupid stuff all the time that is interpreted as derogatory in the U.S. We call people "prieto" (dark-skinned) "negro"(black)... but we also call people "gordo"(fat) and "Chato"(flat faced).... I think this is where black people that just get their feet in Mexican culture get spooked by. For instance, if you're black, and you're not a good dancer, we will wonder out loud what is wrong with you.

There is bigotry, but it's not pervaside. And that is usually with the older generations.

But like I said, you may not be ready for it. You will stick out... so if you want a place where you blend in, and where people might admire you more for being an American, the Caribbean is probably your best bet
I lived in El Paso for a long time. I've been I from Juarez, Chih to San Cristobol de las Casas im Chiapas.

Mexico is definitely a different world.

No one ever called me negrito though. It was always pelon.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
...snipped...
Third, be aware that half the Black population of the USA lives in the former confederate states. Much of the other half lives in an urban environment. While Americans in general dislike cities, most people who live in cities particularly don't want to go to another city. The people in the south who are both black and less likely to live in a city are not as likely to want to go to a largely white city on vacation.

Fourth, there are probably not as many black people in America as you may think. Only one person in 8 is black or African American.

Black Population Percent Black
1 New York 3,400,757 17%
2 Florida 3,141,840 16%
3 Texas 3,138,725 12%
4 Georgia 3,044,658 31%
5 California 2,504,790 7%
6 North Carolina 2,121,228 22%
7 Illinois 1,905,730 15%
8 Maryland 1,749,143 30%
9 Virginia 1,599,850 20%
10 Louisiana 1,482,004 32%
11 Pennsylvania 1,443,659 11%
12 Ohio 1,432,940 12%
13 Michigan 1,417,079 14%
14 South Carolina 1,315,076 28%
15 New Jersey 1,289,292 15%
16 Alabama 1,271,695 26%
17 Mississippi 1,111,856 37%
18 Tennessee 1,082,904 17%
19 Missouri 703,954 12%
20 Indiana 610,595 9%
21 Massachusetts 512,134 8%
22 Arkansas 457,736 16%
26 District of Columbia 313,106 51%
33 Delaware 198,709 22%
You forgot DC. It is considered a southern city. That whole 51 % works for the federal or local government....lol. Try speaking with the IRS sometimes...<s> Maryland is really a southern state. I know, I am nitpiking...

Old 03-27-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Simetime, I think you probably wouldn't enjoy Mexico anyway, regardless of your color. When you go with a lot of preconceptions about a group of people, and certain expectations and somewhat of a chip on your shoulder... it generally doesn't make for the best trips.

If you ever decide to take a trip down here, make sure to come with an open mind and thick skin. Mexicans will call you "negro" or "negrito" and it is not offensive or derogatory. Most Mexicans celebrated when president Obama won, many little Mexican girls admire Michelle Obama, and like I said earlier, one of our national heroes, Vicente Guerrero (an entire state is named after him) was black. Toña la Negra was a well-known singer... even several Novelas cast black people as primary and secondary characters

There is bigotry, but it's not pervaside. And that is usually with the older generations.

But like I said, you may not be ready for it. You will stick out... so if you want a place where you blend in, and where people might admire you more for being an American, the Caribbean is probably your best bet
One of those "bless your heart" posts. LOL.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:00 AM

340 posts, read 611,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Good post and you obviously know what you are talking about....LOL. Mexican food isn't my favorite cruisine, except for some tacos I get at one of the many, many stands here in florida. They are sooo good. But, every other thing I try, mostly when I was in New Mexico, it wasn't my cup of tea. I do like American food very much and think the regional diversity is awesome!
I was talking about MEXICAN food, NOT all kinds of food in the United States. Although, real Mexican food is probably much more varied than you've ever imagined. And the food you get in New Mexico is NOT the same as you get in the country of Mexico, which was kind of my whole point...

And I happen to love American food. (I am an American after all.)

Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,353,790 times
Quote:

My reasoning for not wanting to visit Mexico had nothing to do inadvertant racism, I just had no conscious thought of going there. An old friend who read my post reminded me that I did go to Mexico when we were stationed in San Antonio and I completely forgot because it was a border town.

Btw, I have been to the Caribbean, South America, Italy, Ireland, Puerto Rico and few of the Virgin Islands and everywhere that I have been I (like most Americans) stick out as soon as we open our mouths. Now, since I'm already aware of that I always try to act like a ambassador wherever I go, promoting good will. I knpow that it sounds kind of corny, but I have seen Americans (especially in Italy) go and make complete buttholes of themselves.

I will apologize if you are offended by my remark, because I was not being mean or disrespectful towards Mexico or Europe for that matter either.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Is not the same, the mexican food, for example in El Paso is way inferior to the food in Guadalajara, Oaxaca or Mexico City. And what about World Heritage Sites in those cities, also Puebla, Morelia and so on?

Nope, no place in USA is like Mexico. In fact is far away...

Mexicans living the easy life? That's insulting. What you experience does not apply to all mexicans living in USA.
The Heartbeat of El Paso: Mexican Food Capital of the World Tamale Charm

El Paso is consistently voted the Mexican Food Capital of the World -- and if you haven't spent time in El Paso, you would not realize how very Mexican it is.

Of course they live the easy life here -- if they didn't they wouldn't all be so happily abandoning their own country to come and live here. They obviously prefer being poor in the USA than staying in their own country where they speak the language and know the culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico