Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
Hello, im not trying to generalize, but american travelers in mexico are almost white. I live in Mexico City, on a crowded area for international tourists(Chapultepec & Polanco).

I always try to listen the accent of all the tourists that visit us, and in most of cases i listen american and french accents.

In Mexico City and other areas of Mexico is very hard to african-american tourists, even mexican-american(not visiting their relatives).

Do african-americans have different perspectives when they plan a trip?
Black Americans travel less than White Americans in general, so it's not surprising that you see mostly white tourists. This is probably due to them being poorer on average than whites, and probably some cultural factors as well.

Stereotypical destinations that blacks do go to include Las Vegas and Jamaica.

Personally, I am white, from an almost all-white community, and have never knew anybody but my Spanish instructors from college and high school, and groups of students they have led to go to Mexico City - and this is a place where it's very common to say you've been to Mexico, even if you are working-class. Popular destinations in Mexico for locals are places like Cancun, Puerto Penasco, the Maya Riviera, Puerto Vallarta, etc. - coastal resort towns where vacationers (both international and increasingly domestic) go to relax. Only the more serious travelers venture farther into the interior of Mexico. Those serious travelers tend to be young or from the upper middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:44 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,492,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What about Asian Americans?
My sister has visited Mexico a couple of times in the past and she enjoyed her visit. I'm not really interested in Mexico or Latin America. I would love to explore Asia and Europe more if I have the funds more than anywhere else including the United States.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
The world is changing, lady---so it would be best to be flexible and just enjoy life without worrying about what ethnicity is dominant. And for the record, droves of Mexican have gone back to Mexico in the past 5 years. In fact, more people are going back than coming across the border. Economic opportunities in Mexico are on the rise. Many Americans are also going there for better jobs (imagine that?).

The collective karma of all the cruelty waged by white people to native and brown and black people will come back to bite us in the backside---that's for sure, darlin'. It's best to make peace with your latino neighbors now. Don't perpetuate the awful cycle by hating. It is what it is (<<<as much a I hate this cliche---it does fit here).
But what the poster states is true, why spend money and travel 2000 miles when there are Mexican mercados, Mexican flags, Mexican language, food, music, and the whole Mexican culture right in your own neighborhood? You can stay in the USA and feel like you're in Mexico as far as the culture and people.

And the Mexicans living the easy life in the USA do paint a terrible picture of their country, they claim no one has jobs, they claim there are no schools or health care and that people there are starving, they're the first to tell you there children would die if they had to return home. Americans see these people willing to do anything to get the hell out of their country and if they haven't yet been there, they aren't about to start going.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:55 AM

836 posts, read 2,948,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But what the poster states is true, why spend money and travel 2000 miles when there are Mexican mercados, Mexican flags, Mexican language, food, music, and the whole Mexican culture right in your own neighborhood? You can stay in the USA and feel like you're in Mexico as far as the culture and people.
Is not the same, the mexican food, for example in El Paso is way inferior to the food in Guadalajara, Oaxaca or Mexico City. And what about World Heritage Sites in those cities, also Puebla, Morelia and so on?

Nope, no place in USA is like Mexico. In fact is far away...

Quote:
And the Mexicans living the easy life in the USA do paint a terrible picture of their country, they claim no one has jobs, they claim there are no schools or health care and that people there are starving, they're the first to tell you there children would die if they had to return home. Americans see these people willing to do anything to get the hell out of their country and if they haven't yet been there, they aren't about to start going.
Mexicans living the easy life? That's insulting. What you experience does not apply to all mexicans living in USA.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:52 PM

340 posts, read 609,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Is not the same, the mexican food, for example in El Paso is way inferior to the food in Guadalajara, Oaxaca or Mexico City. And what about World Heritage Sites in those cities, also Puebla, Morelia and so on?

Nope, no place in USA is like Mexico. In fact is far away...

Mexicans living the easy life? That's insulting. What you experience does not apply to all mexicans living in USA.
It is funny to me when people here say that El Paso is "just like Mexico." It really isn't. I mean, it is only a few feet from Mexico, and there are a lot of Mexicans here (including nationals) but once you cross that bridge... It is like everything just feels... different. (And I'm not talking about the crime on the southern side of the border, or anything like that, either.)

And the food... I swear, the food is better just across the river in Juarez than El Paso, and I cannot figure out why! (Sometimes they proclaim El Paso to be "The Mexican Food Capital of the World" and I think, you must be joking right?! I mean, "of the World?!?" I guess these who claim this have never heard of a place called, um... Mexico!!)

And there are much nicer parts of Mexico once you get away from the border area... and more varied cuisine than one could ever find in the U.S... Anyway, one has to actually GO to Mexico to really experience it.

And most Mexican immigrants in the U.S. are definitely not living "the easy life".

Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 AM

275 posts, read 978,675 times
Quote:

Bro, im not trying to be rude, but i completely disagree with what you said. I dont know if you live in Mx or in USA, but i dont really appreciate that been in some parts of the USA is like if you were living en Mexico.

I have been several times at Rio Grande Valley, and despite is a 98% hispanic area, is quite different from the rest of Mexico.

Come on guy, you will never see markets where quesadillas with huitlacoche are ofered, instead of cheeseburgers with the same recipe as the ones that are made in Wyoming.

Maybe you will feel similarities with the kind of music people listen, or the race of the people, but that is all.

Never compare Guanajuato with a big spaniard heritage with San Antonio, Laredo or East Los Angeles.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 AM

275 posts, read 978,675 times
Quote:

Bro, im not trying to be rude, but i completely disagree with what you said. I dont know if you live in Mx or in USA, but i dont really appreciate that been in some parts of the USA is like if you were living en Mexico.

I have been several times at Rio Grande Valley, and despite is a 98% hispanic area, is quite different from the rest of Mexico.

Come on guy, you will never see markets where quesadillas with huitlacoche are ofered, instead of cheeseburgers with the same recipe as the ones that are made in Wyoming.

Maybe you will feel similarities with the kind of music people listen, or the race of the people, but that is all.

Never compare Guanajuato with a big spaniard heritage with San Antonio, Laredo or East Los Angeles.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:00 AM

10,108 posts, read 14,980,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
...and I hate to say this, but unless you understand Mexicans, you might be off-put by their directness regarding skin-color. "El Negro" isn't necessarily a racial slur... there is a Black Brazilian that I worked with years ago (he was BLACK, not mulatto or anything), and in the office, we always called him 'negro' and he was fine with it and so was the rest of the office... I think because of the painful racial history of the U.S., a black American would probably not be able to acclimate to that type of environment.
Through out Latin America its okay to refer to people by a distinguishing feature of their appearance. It could be skin color, shape of the eyes (if slanted, they might be nicknamed "el chino"), weight (if overweight, it will be "el gordo" but if skinny, then "el flaco"), hair color (if blonde, she might be known as "la rubia") or whatever.

Even nationalities become appropriate nicknames, so an American will be nicknamed "el americano" or just "el gringo", an Italian will be "el italiano", a Middle Eastern person might be known as "el arabe" or "el turco", etc. This is especially the case if you are the only foreigner in a neighborhood, then everyone will refer to you by your nationality.

These are mere descriptors that have no negative connotation, unless a person wants to make it negative, but it becomes clear when someone uses these terms in a negative slant (and consequently causes the other person to feel insulted and will react accordingly) or with a neutral or even positive slant.

Americans in general, not just African Americans, are very touchy regarding this type of thing and I think it has to do with the racial history of the US, more than anything else. Also, Americans are very politically correct, which is something not as pronounced in Latin America; but, then again, political correctness is sort of a byproduct of the racial history of the US.

Americans are just touchy about certain things. lol

For example, you can't call a fat person fat without someone feeling offended, usually a fat person. It sounds horrible in English, but it isn't in Spanish. lol

Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 AM

10,108 posts, read 14,980,095 times
By the way, when I was in high school I had an African American teacher and he used to comment about his trips to Mexico and to Mexico City. So, African American tourists do exist, even in Mexico City.

He used to shock everyone by saying that there are no Taco Bell's in Mexico. lol

Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
America's population is mostly white so it would make sense that you would see more white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico