Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrobinson
2) The missing influence of the African diaspora. Notice that previous responses have mentioned African Americans choosing places in the Caribbean---well known for having a hefty African influence. Even beyond the ability to relate or enjoy cultural synergy, we will more likely visit the most caucausian place in Europe rather than ever go to Mexico---why? Because its not just the lack of African influence---it's the fact that due to the inherent race & color divides in Mexico, the influence of Africa has been entirely cleansed from the culture. I am also a history major and Mexico was once of the primary places for African slaves to be bought in the new world. At one point, the African slaves composed 70%!!!! 70!!!! of the population! Those who often cite the genetic influence of indigenous population of Mexico, often forget that when the Europeans came, a great portion of the indigenous people died off either due to disease, warfare, or forced servitude. African slaves were bought to make up for the loss of the indigenous people to build Mexico----there is a WHOLE lot of African blood in Mexico. Where is that influence? Forgotten due to racist ideologies embedded within Mexican culture (mejor de la raza, etc.) and then marginalized physically, socially, and economically when visually present (Veracruz, Guerrero, etc.) Incidentally African Americans also don't want to visit Argentina ----the same thing happened with their slave populations such that now people often assume that there are no black people in Argentina (they are there).

Yikes, I think you may have Mexico confused with some other Latin American country.

200k Africans were imported to Mexico. This is very little in comparison to the numbers brought elsewhere in LatAm. And, please cite your source that Africans once comprised 70% of Mexico's population!

That sort of representation does not just "go away".... especially where Mexico has one of the strongest Indian representation in the new world.

Back on OP: Plenty of Blacks visit the tourist areas. There's even a "black Spring Break" event in Cancun, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 PM

758 posts, read 2,241,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post

Thank you for clearing the obvious stupidity of whites who think that they know the answers to anything that black people do in this country. I'm black and I have been to quite a few countries and visiting Mexico has never been high on my priority list. Hell, there are some Mexicans in this country that do not like Black Americans so why in the hell would I want to go to a country full of them?
Because sweeping generalizations are always 100% correct. thumbs up, smart guy!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Veracruz and Costa Chica have larger Black populations where freed slaves settled. Mexico was against slavery causing the Texas fight for independence from Mexico.

Mexico's Hidden Black History

Mexico was against slavery before the U.S. Mexico recognizes same sex marriage throughout Mexico. The Mexican Constitution forbids any discussion of religion in elections and religious clerics are forbidden from voicing political opinions. Apparently Mexico is years ahead of the U.S.
Lol!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Veracruz and Costa Chica have larger Black populations where freed slaves settled. Mexico was against slavery causing the Texas fight for independence from Mexico.

Mexico's Hidden Black History

Mexico was against slavery before the U.S. Mexico recognizes same sex marriage throughout Mexico. The Mexican Constitution forbids any discussion of religion in elections and religious clerics are forbidden from voicing political opinions. Apparently Mexico is years ahead of the U.S.
And of the slaves brought to Mexico, as slaves?

Regarding the discussion of religion in elections: you recite things you read elsewhere, which are mostly disconnected with reality. You've been consistent doing that - on most topics regarding Mexico. You repeat things without knowing much beyond what's written. Or how what's written differs from what the practice is. Religion (Roman Catholic) plays a big part in elections in Mexico. Bishops from the top ranks to the Priest, Brother, Sister, etc., frequently opine on 'political' issues and are involved. Cardinal Norberto Rivera, or Bishop Samuel Ruiz and the thousands of others who are front and center. And the past President of Mexico, Calderon, was very upfront in his support for and involvement with the Roman Catholics. Don't just live in Mexico, live in Mexico. Be present. Get to know more about the country, its people. Then you won't keep spreading such stories.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

Regarding the discussion of religion in elections: you recite things you read elsewhere, which are mostly disconnected with reality. You've been consistent doing that - on most topics regarding Mexico. You repeat things without knowing much beyond what's written. Or how what's written differs from what the practice is. Religion (Roman Catholic) plays a big part in elections in Mexico. Bishops from the top ranks to the Priest, Brother, Sister, etc., frequently opine on 'political' issues and are involved. Cardinal Norberto Rivera, or Bishop Samuel Ruiz and the thousands of others who are front and center. And the past President of Mexico, Calderon, was very upfront in his support for and involvement with the Roman Catholics. Don't just live in Mexico, live in Mexico. Be present. Get to know more about the country, its people. Then you won't keep spreading such stories.
calm down, lol.

I'm Mexican, from Chihuahua and live in Mexico City. He's right about slavery and same sex marriage.

About religion in politics... The PAN really where the first to break from that and embrace the Catholic Church, albeit a bit quietly. The vast majority of Mexicans are catholic , but the relationship the country had had with the power of the Catholic Church is quite different. Look up regulations and rules against the Catholic Church and its clergy in Mexico, ull be surprised.

In practice yes, the Catholic Church has had significant say in politics... Although its not supposed to

Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Because sweeping generalizations are always 100% correct. thumbs up, smart guy!
Well, apparently you have no probelm agreeing with someone that comes to the conclusion that American Blacks are too poor to cross the boarder to visit Mexico, so what is the difference of me being an AFrican American stating my own personal reasons for not going there

Old 03-21-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Well, apparently you have no probelm agreeing with someone that comes to the conclusion that American Blacks are too poor to cross the boarder to visit Mexico, so what is the difference of me being an AFrican American stating my own personal reasons for not going there
Can you point out in this discussion where I said that? Or agreed with that. Maybe I did and don't remember... but I doubt I said that.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Can you point out in this discussion where I said that? Or agreed with that. Maybe I did and don't remember... but I doubt I said that.
It should have been worded as a question. But do you agree with it?

Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,342,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

Quit shooting your mouth off about things you do not know about. Read the Mexican Constitution and the new proposed amendment to make Mexico more secular.

Mexico's Separation of Church and State - WSJ.com

Quote:
Thus, in Mexico, public expressions of religious belief are often viewed as impolite or worse, especially when made in connection with politics. For example, when President Calderon suggested in June that "young people drug themselves because they don't believe in God" he was excoriated for violating the separation of church and state and, more tellingly, for forgetting that faith is "reserved to the private sphere of individuals" and is unwelcome in politics, which is "a primary activity of the public sphere." In short, under one popular view of "separation," religiously motivated arguments—offered either by the church or by politicians—are an illegitimate form of public discourse. The proposed "laica" amendment looks like it might be an attempt to codify this sentiment.
Quote:
Mexico's lower house of Congress began the process of amending the Mexican Constitution to formally declare the country to be "laica"—meaning "lay" or "secular." Supporters say the amendment merely codifies Mexico's commitment to the separation of church and state.
Quote:
The amendment comes on the heels of a heated political dispute, in which Catholic officials condemned Mexico City politicians for legalizing same-sex civil unions and adoption. Church officials have also drawn attention by leading vocal, public opposition to a 2007 Mexico City law that legalized first-trimester abortions. Thus, Jaime Cardenas Garcia, a congressional supporter of the amendment, has said the amendment is necessary because of the presence of "a militant Catholic Church" that opposes legal reforms. Another congressional supporter, Feliciano Marin Diaz, has argued that the amendment is necessary to ensure that "religious beliefs" will not be used to support political allies or oppose political adversaries.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
It should have been worded as a question. But do you agree with it?
Not at all. In fact, people throughout this thread have pointed out there's plenty of black people that go to Tijuana, Cancun, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico