Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times

Advertisements

[Mod cut: this post has been deleted]

LOL!! And then people wonder why Americans don't want to travel to Mexico. Geez -- you make it sound like hell on earth -- some country that no one could ever want to live in, that the ONLY option is to come illegally to the USA.

I suppose your answer is to just close Mexico down as a country and bring all it's people to the USA legally of course so the taxpayers of the USA can provide nicely for them.

Mexico is not going to improve as long as it's a stampede of it's people trying to leave it. For those of us who have traveled in Mexico, every now and then it's possible to meet a Mexican who actually doesn't want to leave, one who loves his own country warts and all. But that's not what you will run into of course when you see those who have fled Mexico and are now living in the USA.

Last edited by elnina; 03-31-2013 at 12:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 04:06 PM

836 posts, read 2,951,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The Heartbeat of El Paso: Mexican Food Capital of the World Tamale Charm

El Paso is consistently voted the Mexican Food Capital of the World -- and if you haven't spent time in El Paso, you would not realize how very Mexican it is.
I've never been in El Paso and I think never will do, in USA you can find a lot more interesting cities, last week I was in San Francisco, what a beautiful city, sorry but El Paso is not in my radar...

In any case I doubt that it is a specialized entity that appointment given to the city the tittle of Mexican Food Capital of the World, really that sound silly.

Quote:
course they live the easy life here -- if they didn't they wouldn't all be so happily abandoning their own country to come and live here. They obviously prefer being poor in the USA than staying in their own country where they speak the language and know the culture.
Who? really I don't care what others do, and is not part of the subject of this thread...

Old 03-31-2013, 04:26 AM

340 posts, read 610,368 times
Quote:

LOL!! And then people wonder why Americans don't want to travel to Mexico. Geez -- you make it sound like hell on earth -- some country that no one could ever want to live in, that the ONLY option is to come illegally to the USA.

I suppose your answer is to just close Mexico down as a country and bring all it's people to the USA legally of course so the taxpayers of the USA can provide nicely for them.

Mexico is not going to improve as long as it's a stampede of it's people trying to leave it. For those of us who have traveled in Mexico, every now and then it's possible to meet a Mexican who actually doesn't want to leave, one who loves his own country warts and all. But that's not what you will run into of course when you see those who have fled Mexico and are now living in the USA.
I suppose that this is in reply to my post??

My point is that SOME people in Mexico and other parts of Latin America have a very dire economic situation in which there are few or no viable opportunities for them in their own country (although this is starting to change now in Mexico). Personally, I find it very self-righteous to judge people who come here to improve their situation, or more oftentimes, the situation of their family and/or children, or those who are simply trying to survive as best they can. Most people who come to this country illegally (if they do not come unwillingly as children) do so to work, and many work very, very hard. I don't know where you get off calling their lives easy.

And what "stampede" of Mexicans coming here?? How many times do we have to go over the fact that Mexico's rate of immigration to the U.S. is at an ALL TIME LOW of ZERO or below?!?! Part of this is because there are barely any JOBS for illegal immigrants which is WHY so many have come in the past - to WORK!!! Other major reasons are that Mexico's economic situation is improving, and that the Obama administration has been deporting a lot more people than the previous administration. Many people crossing the border now illegally into the U.S. are from other Latin American countries. (Not everyone who is Mestizo and Spanish-speaking is mexicano!)

Old 03-31-2013, 06:07 AM

14,720 posts, read 14,695,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
White Americans are still the majority, so needless to say that's what you would see abroad.. but I'm surprised by this comment. One of my good friends owns a hostel in Mexico City and he's constantly telling me that he'll meet Asian and Indian (dot, not feather) Americans all the time. Your anecdotal observations are not entirely accurate.

American Black people are a bit rarer in Mexico's cultural sites... I've yet to fully understand why.... maybe it's the bad publicity that we got under Fox, or maybe our 'cousins' in the U.S. haven't quite given the best impression of our culture (JOKING!)... but American black people become a lot more common in Tijuana, Los Cabos, Cancun, etc. Maybe it's our mentality... and I hate to say this, but unless you understand Mexicans, you might be off-put by their directness regarding skin-color. "El Negro" isn't necessarily a racial slur... there is a Black Brazilian that I worked with years ago (he was BLACK, not mulatto or anything), and in the office, we always called him 'negro' and he was fine with it and so was the rest of the office... I think because of the painful racial history of the U.S., a black American would probably not be able to acclimate to that type of environment.
Mexican immigrants, especially in California, use words a lot harsher than "negro" to describe black Americans, so it has given a perception of the country as racist. I remember reading a story years ago about a group of three or four brothers (blood brothers, not "brothas" ) from Oakland who went to Tijuana, one had a Mexican-American girlfriend. Well, a group of Mexican dudes in a bar did not like that fact, and jumped the brothers. The police were called, and instead of breaking up the fight, they joined in and killed one of the Americans. That kind of thing doesn't endear people to the country when they have the option to travel to Jamaica or Barbados instead where they can be among their own.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:

To add to my previous post; I am pretty sure that I am not actually deterring anyone here from traveling to Mexico. Just because there is some very bad poverty in Mexico, doesn't mean that there isn't also a great wealth of culture and natural beauty, amazing architecture, gorgeous beaches, luxury hotels, resorts, and private residences, world class cities, etc., etc., as well as an excellent cuisine, that is apparently somewhat difficult to authentically duplicate in the U.S. And I am confident that any reasonably intelligent person knows that a vacation to Mexico does not require spending time in the slums, just as a tourist to the United States needn't go about visiting the "ghettos".

Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
To add to my previous post; I am pretty sure that I am not actually deterring anyone here from traveling to Mexico. Just because there is some very bad poverty in Mexico, doesn't mean that there isn't also a great wealth of culture and natural beauty, amazing architecture, gorgeous beaches, luxury hotels, resorts, and private residences, world class cities, etc., etc., as well as an excellent cuisine, that is apparently somewhat difficult to authentically duplicate in the U.S. And I am confident that any reasonably intelligent person knows that a vacation to Mexico does not require spending time in the slums, just as a tourist to the United States needn't go about visiting the "ghettos".
Yes, I know there are some bad parts, and some impoverished parts, but that's true of the USA just as well. People are leaving Detroit, but they aren't crossing over a border into another country, they just move to another US city.

It's common for Mexicans living in the USA to bad mouth their country as a way of justifying leaving it, the problem is that if someone doesn't travel to Mexico, they will not likely encounter those who love their country more than the easy money in the USA. There are humble people in Mexico who will tell you they love Mexico and ask why would they leave it.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,345,567 times
Quote:

There isn't a stampede of Mexicans going to the U.S. Mexico is building a strong middle class and money and jobs are easier to find now in Mexico. Only the poorest migrated to the U.S. The educated and more affluent remained in Mexico. I don't know how people think they can judge a whole country by one group of people.

More Mexicans are returning to Mexico than there are entering the U.S.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, I know there are some bad parts, and some impoverished parts, but that's true of the USA just as well. People are leaving Detroit, but they aren't crossing over a border into another country, they just move to another US city.

It's common for Mexicans living in the USA to bad mouth their country as a way of justifying leaving it, the problem is that if someone doesn't travel to Mexico, they will not likely encounter those who love their country more than the easy money in the USA. There are humble people in Mexico who will tell you they love Mexico and ask why would they leave it.
Wow. So, you think that poverty in Latin America is comparable to that of the USA?

And that very poor people with very little economic oppotunity who have left their homes to work in a foreign land are arrogant people who hate their homeland??

And that back breaking, hard labor jobs such as picking crops, are "easy money"???

Wow. Just, WOW!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
There isn't a stampede of Mexicans going to the U.S. Mexico is building a strong middle class and money and jobs are easier to find now in Mexico. Only the poorest migrated to the U.S. The educated and more affluent remained in Mexico. I don't know how people think they can judge a whole country by one group of people.

More Mexicans are returning to Mexico than there are entering the U.S.
Yes, but for some reason people think that those who are coming over the border illegally MUST be from Mexico, even if they are not. They apparently cannot fathom the idea that there are a bunch of countries south of Mexico.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:38 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,345,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
Yes, but for some reason people think that those who are coming over the border illegally MUST be from Mexico, even if they are not. They apparently cannot fathom the idea that there are a bunch of countries south of Mexico.
True, almost all of the native Spanish speakers entering the U.S. from the South are from Central America, not Mexico.

You have to admire Mexicans who do choose to illegally enter the U.S., to do underpaid and back breaking work when many of their also poor counterparts choose the drug cartels to make easy money. They might not live a long life in the cartels but it is more and easier money than picking produce, doing roofing or working in a poultry farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico