Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:57 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Based upon many of your posts thought you knew everything for everybody.

Mexican friend of mine (US born) went to TJ and did not have his ID on his person and had to phone his brother at home in Ventura (200 miles away) to bring the ID in order to return. Being a Mexican (US born) he was still a Mexican in the BP eyes.

Another case was with a friend that did not have his Passport as we were to cross at San Ysidro but the BP saw the VA card in my friends hand thus knew being a Vet was a US citizen.

Another time (few months ago) was to cross with a newly discharged 20 yr Air Force Mexican/American that showed his Military ID and said he just retired last month. BP said that a Passport was still required for future crossings. This retired Air Force guy was my new neighbor here in Baja (Rosarito).

As to crossing it depends on your type of ID and ethnicity and to the discretion of the BP person whether you are refused entry or taken into Secondery inspection for further checking/information.

At the present time with the extensive construction going on the facilities are limited for further checks re some US entry.
I thought there was some law an American CANNOT be refused entry, may have to sit around for hours or day waiting for your identity to be verified but I thought you could not be refused entry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
It happens a lot in Tijuana. American tourists who have little exposure to international travel get an itch to say they saw Mexico during their San Diego visit and overlook or ignore the warnings to have a passport. Or they think what's the worst that could happen and just go even if they see its required and they don't have one. Foreign tourists go across for the day and forget they need it and leave the passport in the hotel room. In either case its easier obviously just to bring it, but people don't get stranded in Mexico because they were naive.
Or its possible you just lose your passport while traveling or get it stolen, thats one of my biggest fears lol. At least at border they have to let you in, my fear would be being deeper in mexico

Old 05-10-2014, 04:52 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I thought there was some law an American CANNOT be refused entry, may have to sit around for hours or day waiting for your identity to be verified but I thought you could not be refused entry.
A U.S. citizen cannot be refused entry into the U.S. A passport is a faster way to prove citizenship.

Also someone born in the U.S. is a U.S. citizen even if his ancestors are from another country like Mexico. He is not Mexican unless he became a Mexican or was born to Mexicans but he is still a U.S. born citizen.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Walking

If you are american citizen, you can get in to USA without passport, but be prepared to the hassle of being questioned by the agent in the bridge, they will check your records, ask a lot of questions and then let you in.

This happened many years ago probably early 1986 or there about. We were in Rosarito and befriended a young man from England who didn't have his passport on him! I always thought you should at least carry a copy on you if not the original. So naturally I knew it would be interesting to see how this turned out! Sure enough they asked to pull over to the side and park the car where they thoroughly searched the car and asked to go inside to the office. Our friend was given a date to go into Los Angeles to Immigration and show his passport, I believe they gave him two weeks to do so. All in all we were there maybe and hour and a half so luckily it wasn't all that bad!

Last edited by cec2006; 05-11-2014 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: mispelled word

Old 05-11-2014, 08:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
It gets ugly but eventually you get back or
if you ditched your ID hoping to conceal recent warrents
often the case
Then you go to jail
not home
I never cross without seeing at least 2 arrests
Dear Mr slick stay home

Old 05-23-2014, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,462 times
Thumbs down Idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorof_Education View Post
Are you serious?? How does one "wonder" into Mexico without a Passport? Unreal. I know North Americans don't get out much, but come on. You do NOT enter Mexico without a Passport.
really? you need NO forn of identification going INTO Mexico. EVERYBODY knows that.
plus its getting into US where you need passport

Old 05-24-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeamericanswagg92 View Post
really? you need NO forn of identification going INTO Mexico. EVERYBODY knows that.
I always have to show ID to enter Mexico and everyone I know here in Mexico had to show ID when we drove in.

I assume you have never been to Mexico.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeamericanswagg92 View Post
Mexico Travel - Entering Mexico - Government of Mexico

Old 05-25-2014, 04:38 PM

340 posts, read 609,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
I always have to show ID to enter Mexico and everyone I know here in Mexico had to show ID when we drove in.

I assume you have never been to Mexico.
That's funny, cause I have NEVER had to show any sort of ID when driving/walking across the border into Mexico. In fact, it never even seems that they are paying any attention to who is entering. I wonder where you were that you had to actually show ID driving into Mexico. Upon flying into Mexico, though, yes, I've had to show ID of course.

Last edited by unnativeelpasoan; 05-25-2014 at 05:04 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
That's funny, cause I have NEVER had to show any sort of ID when driving/walking across the border into Mexico. In fact, it never even seems that they are paying any attention to who is entering. I wonder where you were that you had to actually show ID driving into Mexico. Upon flying into Mexico, though, yes, I've had to show ID of course.
Read the link above.

I am a U.S. expat living in the interior of Mexico. I've never spent anytime on the frontera, the border area towns. Maybe it is lenient for the border areas but not if one is traveling into the interior. Usually wen you reach 22 Km in the interior, there are stations where foreigners are processed.

Mexico is not as paranoid as the U.S., but Mexico isn't threatened by terrorists like the U.S. and Mexico isn't hated worldwide like the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico