Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 03:10 AM

15,877 posts, read 21,477,351 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I'm doing a semester program mostly in homestays in Oaxaca (but also a week in Chiapas, 2 weeks staying in a barrio of Mexico City, and a month long independent research project anywhere in Southern Mexico) and I really don't know all too much about the city. I mean, obviously I know about the recent teacher's strike and all and that it's sort of touristy, but what else should I know? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 04:18 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,364,330 times
You should know that you are very fortunate. I spent a week there one year. You must go see the ruins and also go to the town where they make the blankets and watch them work. I will put up some photos for you.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:19 AM

I know how lucky I am and I'm so thrilled. I'm not going til Fall '08 but I'm counting down the days. I collect alebrijes (the colorful Oaxacan woodcuttings) and I can't wait to actually go to a workshop and be able to talk with the craftsmen. Normally I have to buy them through a middleman merchandiser who really doesn't know nor cares about the stories behind the artwork.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:42 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,364,330 times
I am getting ready to post the photos under Mexico Photos. It is at the top of this website as a sticky.

I like Oaxaco because it has a large Indian population. I also loved a restaurant that we ate at daily because the food was the best. It is north of the San Domigno church up one of the streets but close to that park. I don't recall the name but they used to give us a very narrow and long menu on paper. Each night we would go and choose something else, and we were never disappointed. It was the best food, at least to us, in all of Mexico.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:36 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,443,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Hey everyone! I'm doing a semester program mostly in homestays in Oaxaca (but also a week in Chiapas, 2 weeks staying in a barrio of Mexico City, and a month long independent research project anywhere in Southern Mexico) and I really don't know all too much about the city. I mean, obviously I know about the recent teacher's strike and all and that it's sort of touristy, but what else should I know? Thanks!
Dear charolastra: Oaxaca is simply awesome I'm sure you are going to like it very much.

If you have the chance, try visiting Puerto Escondido and San Jose del Pacifico, I'm gonna upload some pictures for you to see

Puerto rocks, because it's a very alternative and hippie tourist paradise, it's the land of good vibrations specially zicatela bay which is a bit farther from Puerto's main dock, there are lots of more undergound and virgin beaches near if you want more info let me know and I'll be glad to help

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-19-2007 at 04:55 PM..

Old 11-23-2007, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 17,961 times
Default Going to Oaxaca

Oaxaca is a very nice area of Mexico to work, study or just visit. If you have never been to southern Mexico before I would suggest not getting involved with the politics. There has been allot of happening there with the teachers strikes. The military had to move in there recently to calm things down. When I was there last, about 4 months ago, the teachers were burning tires in the streets and vandalizing many buildings. Basically setting a good example for their students...
The locals are friendly though and the country is beautiful. Allot of history in this part of Mexico. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:12 PM

I'm actually going there in part to study the Zapatistas and other grassroots social movements, so involvement in politics is inevitable and desired. Not that I'll be joining in any protests, especially after we all saw that American get shot by the military while filming the protests. IMO, being in southern Mexico is inherently political, especially as a student studying indigenous water and land rights.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm actually going there in part to study the Zapatistas and other grassroots social movements, so involvement in politics is inevitable and desired. Not that I'll be joining in any protests, especially after we all saw that American get shot by the military while filming the protests. IMO, being in southern Mexico is inherently political, especially as a student studying indigenous water and land rights.
I've observed some political protests -- occasionally in Chiapas, also Ciudad Juarez and a variety of others.

I found it interesting -- the protestors would come over and suggest we leave -- go back to our hotel or get back over the border because the last thing they want is an American to get involved -- for one it's not our country, not our business -- and the last thing they want is for these to become international incidents with our government becoming involved because an American got hurt or arrested. They would say it was okay to stand back and watch -- but if the police or military show up -- please just leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico