Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:00 AM

230 posts, read 258,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
I've spent the past 30 years living with Latinos, mostly Mexicans and I can say that from my point of view, you will be looked at no different than this gringo.

Don't take looks or rude comments as a general rule. Heck, I spend about a month a year in SE Asia and get the same curious looks and comments, especially when away from tourist areas or cities.

In the Philippines I always get teased by children about my "long nose" (I'm white). It always make me laugh when they want to touch it and I make a biting noise like a dog. That kind of breaks the ice then things roll much smoother.

Just be you and treat them the way you normally would. The Mexican people are very hospitable and some of the nicest in the world.
who dat? are you originally from new orleans....."WHO DAT"

in any case thx man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 12:18 PM

549 posts, read 722,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
who dat? are you originally from new orleans....."WHO DAT"

in any case thx man
LOL, no but been a Saint's fan since Archie Manning set the league on fire and watched it burn. I guess I should have said that i've been an "Aint's" fan since then.

You're most welcome. I'm sure others will have different takes on it but from living and working in a farming town of Immokalee, FL I haven't seen much other than curious looks here. Most of the farmers as you know are Rancheros and haven't had many dealings with someone not like them. I worked on a farm with a crew of over 100 and was the only gringo too. (No, I wasn't the boss either)

All it takes is an honest conversation (while staying smart) and treating them like you would anyone else. I failed to mention that I've spent about half of the last two decades in Central America and Mexico. I've also spent about that same amount of time in Asia and I look nothing like anyone where I've spent time yet I've never had a problem.

Well, except the one time my wife's cousin was drunk and wanted to fight a white guy.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:08 PM

230 posts, read 258,938 times
wow , interesting life thus far. I wish I could leave the states permanently. your lucky. Money is not everything, your living life. CHEERS man.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:58 PM

549 posts, read 722,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
wow , interesting life thus far. I wish I could leave the states permanently. your lucky. Money is not everything, your living life. CHEERS man.
Thanks Shawn, go out and do it. The only thing holding you back is you (quoted from my 9th grade math teacher). I'd rather live more in 20 years than I would being stuck not living (experiencing life / the world) for another 50 years. Besides, there's plenty to see and like i tell my wife there's plenty of nice people to meet.

She gets mad when I sit down or buy lunch for a homeless person young or old. I don't think she gets the idea of listening. I am speaking from experience here, if ya just close the thing below your nose and open your ears then you can learn a lot.

I wish you the best Shawn and hope that you give it a go. Actually I'm looking forward to your updates here. It's always nice seeing someone's take on a place from another set of eyes. The place you've called home is here and you can always come back but spread your wings and mind. Give it a go but be acutely aware as there are really, really bad people everywhere. [emphasis on this segment]

A$$ down and eyes up.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 4,875 times
Having lived in Mexico for decades, I can say that there is much less racism in Mexico than the US. Nothing in this life is 100% but I find there is generally much better acceptance for diversity here in Mexico than up north.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:06 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMex View Post
Please informed your self Mexico is not a poor country Mexico has the 11th wealthiest economy in the world . And has been improving every year I'm sorry but if you think Mexico is poor I guess the rest of the world are ....
Correction: Mexico is ranked 88th out of 228 based on per capita income.

https://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?v=67

If you look at the size if it's economy, it's 15th, but that's mostly because it has a lot of people, not because it's a rich country. Mexico is a "middle income" country. But that translates as "poor" to most Americans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_GDP_(nominal)

Old 07-04-2017, 02:10 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Isn't Mexico part of OCDE, the rich country's club?
That's the OECD. Not all countries in it are in the same income league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I also understand that old realities sometimes are hard to shake off. Look at the USA, the sheer number of people that think the USA is the world's richest country is mind boggling. It was the richest back in the 1950's, but things change. lol

The US is still in an envious place, but richest of the world it isn't.

Same with Mexico. Just a few decades ago even travelling within Mexico was a major pain in the you know what, simply due to the inadequate road network. Not any more! Things change folks, so get on with the program pronto! lol
America isn't as rich as it used to be, on a relative basis. Mexico isn't as poor as it used to be, on a relative basis. But the difference between the two is still pretty big.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:55 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
The people saying "Mexico isn't racist" seem to be mostly white North Americans or white Mexicans. I'm not disagreeing with their viewpoint, but I'm curious if the opinion differs for a socially conscious person of mostly indigenous ("Indio") stock.

We never really hear their perspective as the visibly white Latinos are quick to shut any conversation about inequality down.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:54 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
America isn't as rich as it used to be, on a relative basis. Mexico isn't as poor as it used to be, on a relative basis. But the difference between the two is still pretty big.
If we go by GDP Per Capita (PPP), then the gap between the USA and Mexico is 3.03 (in other words, the USA is 303% richer than Mexico.)

For comparison sake, here are select American countries with marked differences with a border sharing neighbor (on the left the richer country between the two.)

Dominican Republic : Haiti (8.83)
Cuba : Haiti (6.61)
Jamaica : Haiti (5.00)
Chile : Bolivia (3.33)
Costa Rica : Nicaragua (3.03)
Mexico : Guatemala (2.39)
Puerto Rico : Dominican Republic (2.37)
Mexico : Belize (2.30)
Argentina : Paraguay (2.13)
Cuba : Jamaica (1.92)
Uruguay : Brazil (1.37)
United States : Canada (1.24)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...elds/2004.html

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-06-2017 at 08:03 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 04:23 AM

26 posts, read 23,951 times
Old thread but there's over 1 million Afro Mexicans in Mexico around 3% of the population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico