Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:11 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Mexico is more diverse than many people give it credit for. Things vary by state and region. The way things are in Veracruz or Chiapas will be different from what takes place in Sinaloa and Sonora. Nuevo Leon is different from the Baja states.
Tell that to the countless posters on here who will continue to argue with you about how non-diverse Mexico and Mexicans are.

There are alot of tall people in my family. One of my cousins is even a runway model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 09:36 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Tell that to the countless posters on here who will continue to argue with you about how non-diverse Mexico and Mexicans are.

There are alot of tall people in my family. One of my cousins is even a runway model.
There is alot of ignorance abound. Yes, Mestizos are the majority. However, Mexicans can look like anyone from Jorge Orta(Afro-Mexican), to Selma Hayek(who is of Lebanese descent), to Noe Murayama (Mexican actor of Japanese descent). There are Mayan people in the southern part of Mexico. There are the Tarahumara people in northwest Mexico. There are Mexicans who Basque descent. Height varies as well. Many people don't know things like this, nor to they try to find out.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:15 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,320 times
depends, northern mexicans are notoriously tall, on average many are up in the 6 ft range.... southern mexicans are tiny because they're mostly mayan heritage (mayans are small people)

Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
depends, northern mexicans are notoriously tall, on average many are up in the 6 ft range.... southern mexicans are tiny because they're mostly mayan heritage (mayans are small people)
This is part of what I've been saying. It depends on where you go. Things vary from place to place. One reason more people need to learn more about Mexico.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
There is alot of ignorance abound. Yes, Mestizos are the majority. However, Mexicans can look like anyone from Jorge Orta(Afro-Mexican), to Selma Hayek(who is of Lebanese descent), to Noe Murayama (Mexican actor of Japanese descent). There are Mayan people in the southern part of Mexico. There are the Tarahumara people in northwest Mexico. There are Mexicans who Basque descent. Height varies as well. Many people don't know things like this, nor to they try to find out.
Yes, I have Mexican friends, colleagues, and even an optometrist of very diverse backgrounds (Syrian, French, Zapotec, Mayan, Lebanese, Israeli). Also, these are all people I have met recently in California.

My personal opinion- unless you have years of experience traveling all over Mexico, meeting people from all echelons of society, have visited a majority of the states, have lived there- please refrain from trying to be an expert on the diversity of the population.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have Mexican friends, colleagues, and even an optometrist of very diverse backgrounds (Syrian, French, Zapotec, Mayan, Lebanese, Israeli). Also, these are all people I have met recently in California.

My personal opinion- unless you have years of experience traveling all over Mexico, meeting people from all echelons of society, have visited a majority of the states, have lived there- please refrain from trying to be an expert on the diversity of the population.
Mexicans are a diverse group, and most don't know that.

I wasn't trying to be an expert. I was just saying how it is, and what people are missing in regards to Mexico and Mexican people.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Mexicans are a diverse group, and most don't know that.

I wasn't trying to be an expert. I was just saying how it is, and what people are missing in regards to Mexico and Mexican people.
I don't know if there was a misunderstanding, but that 'expert' comment wasn't directed at you.

I agree with everything you have said.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I don't know if there was a misunderstanding, but that 'expert' comment wasn't directed at you.

I agree with everything you have said.
Oh, okay.

For what it's worth, I've never been down to Mexico myself. I have been to California though. What I know of Mexico comes from reading about Mexico, being around people from Mexico, and watching documentaries about Mexico. Alot of that actually made me want to go to Mexico. I don't travel right now because I don't have the money to do so. However, one thing I try to do is read about place.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:08 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
Quote:
Oh, okay.

For what it's worth, I've never been down to Mexico myself. I have been to California though. What I know of Mexico comes from reading about Mexico, being around people from Mexico, and watching documentaries about Mexico. Alot of that actually made me want to go to Mexico. I don't travel right now because I don't have the money to do so. However, one thing I try to do is read about place.
If you get to visit Mexico don't just visit the border cities. Those cities tend to be the worst. Those cities are the ones the cartels were fighting for, the infrastructure didn't kept up with the mass influx of immigrants

Old 11-22-2014, 11:51 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
When an entire population is spoken of, one has to generalize. There are tall people in Mexico just as there are short people in the Netherlands, but they are outliers, and hence "tall" or "short" in their respective cultures. Most of the Mexicans I saw in Southern Mexico, as well as those who work here, are shorter-than-average by local standards. They may average in the 20th %tile for non-Hispanic white males. And the Salma Hayek or Antonio Verastegui look certainly is rare among them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico