Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 19,772 times

Advertisements

Hello, i am Mexican and well, you know about the current situation in this country and we aren't exactly in our best days, however, i am interested about what kind of things or details do foreign/expat people like about Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 04:09 PM

659 posts, read 941,467 times
Your beaches and weather and music and architecture.

If only your country wasn't painted in a bad light. My husband is a Mexican-born citizen and he's been as far south as Mexico City and he liked it. I asked him plenty of times if he would ever move back to Mexico fully, perhaps even when the country gets better and less dangerous.... he keeps saying no, that he'll never go back.

I wonder why :/ Maybe it's the same with disillusioned Americans abroad that chooses to not come back to the US again.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:46 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,961,536 times
Silly question ...

the F O O D of course !!!

(also tequila).

Old 02-17-2015, 05:50 PM

356 posts, read 365,870 times
Silly question ...

the B O O Z E of course !!!

(also the women).

Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 AM

275 posts, read 979,193 times
Tacos al pastor

Liga MX

Old 02-20-2015, 05:28 PM

170 posts, read 188,981 times
The Sense of Freedom among many other things.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:22 PM

62 posts, read 71,545 times
Friendly people
Great weather
Good food (vegan friendly)
Wonderful architecture
Mexico City
Walkable cities
Fantastic beaches
Mexicoke
Food carts
Great exchange rate

Old 02-20-2015, 09:05 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,798,856 times
The people (warm, friendly, love to celebrate life).
The culture revolves around a sincere respect and love for food and spirits.
Everything tastes better with Chile + Limon.
It is a very musical country- music of all types are listened to and celebrated.
It is a very artistic country- art is everywhere.
The blend of Native American + European- you can be at a cool European style coffee shop, and an hour later, at a temazcal (sweat lodge) ridding yourself of impurities, hehe.
Mexican friends become family, usually for life.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:04 PM

39 posts, read 164,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tequila4less View Post
The Sense of Freedom among many other things.
Genuinely curious to hear your take on this.

I too can attest to a sense of freedom I would have in Mexico when I would visit family growing up. I think it stems from coming from a culture where there are many rules and regulations and laws (USA) and going to a place that seems to be very lax about life in general (Mexico).

Old 02-23-2015, 08:32 PM

700 posts, read 920,925 times
Mexico has laws and regulations, too; some do try and have good intentions -- it's just that fewer people in fact follow them. Nobody appears to wear seat belts down there, and they have horrendous highway fatalities. On the other end of the scofflaw scale, there is Grupo Mexico, with one of the worst safety and pollution records of any mining company in the world.

The moment they bought ASARCO in Arizona, it was about three months before they had a negligent fatality. And after that they were in court and wound up having to pay large sums for pollution violations. They are up to business as usual recently with the disgusting mine spill in Sonora that poisoned a couple of rivers and ruined farming, ranching and dairying in the whole region. Basically their whole economy for the foreseeable future.

But this is supposed to be about what we like about Mexico. I like telenovelas; it's nice during long, frigid snowy winters here in Chicagoland (-8 F when I awoke this morning) to watch people running around in shirt sleeves and swimsuits at the beach all year round.

I have had many fun hours watching telenovelas over the last 15-20 years or so. Telenovela snobs claim Columbian or Brazilian shows are better, but I prefer the Mexican ones. It reminds me of home in the Sonoran desert in the Old Pueblo, Tucson, Arizona, established 1775 by Hugo Oconor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico