Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 07:27 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,657,580 times

Advertisements

Let me turn this around - "Why do so few AMERICANS speak Spanish?" OR - any language other than English?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:39 PM

16,117 posts, read 10,790,938 times
Why do so few Mexicans speak basic English?

The whole country of Mexico is full of Spanish speakers. It isn't hard to learn some basic Spanish just to cover the essential stuff if you are going to a Spanish speaking country. You might run into a person that speaks English but it is best to be able to fend for yourself on the basics in Spanish.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:13 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,375,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The vast majority of Americans do not know any foreign language.
And are often stubbornly proud to be monolingual, and get bent out of shape when other people will speak Spanish, Chinese, French to one another in a private conversation out in the public.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:23 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 934,050 times
I find it funny how some posters expect Mexicans in Mexico to understand English, yet few Americans know a second language and would cry in a uproar to be encourage to speak another Language.

In tourist areas and/or near the border: they might know a little....but other than that:

Habla espanol!

*too troublesome to input the upside down exclamation point and mark over the n on this keyboard*

Old 08-06-2017, 12:00 AM

7 posts, read 9,149 times
Part of the reason is that we have few opportunities outside of school settings to use foreign languages, unless we personally know individuals or families who actively speak another native tongue. Most immigrants, whether first or second generations, tend to learn English to succeed in the US, just as immigrants a century or two ago learned English and eventually quit using their original language. I am not suggesting that the US should become officially bilingual as English has been our primary and official language since the Revolution.

Another reason few American speak a second language is arrogance--we think collectively that we--ie, native born citizens, are a step or two better than recent immigrants who speak a different language at least initially, even though originally all our ancestors, even those of Native Americans, were at one point in history 'foreigners.' I studied Latin, French and German in school but knew no one who spoke French or German out of class and have lost most of those languages over the years.

My kids took 3 and 4 years of Latin in HS which has been useful in the classics and literature as well as in their studies of pharmacy and law. One also took French and uses it when traveling in France and Belgium. Another relative studied Japanese in college and now teaches English in Japan.

Americans must overcome their sense of being superior when it comes to language as well as white race and European (ie, British) ancestry. When I traveled to China to adopt a preschooler 2 decades ago, I learned several Mandarin words and phrases so I could converse with the child as well as with store clerks and others who might not be fluent in English. I am sure I mispronounced much Mandarin but most Chinese understood what I was saying and I felt more confident being able to converse even limitedly in their own language. Just trying to makes both parties closer, and I loved being able to talk with my new child, who I might add was fluent enough in English within 6 months to plunge into kindergarten. Today I still remember more Mandarin than she does.

Sharing languages with other speakers, whether primary or secondary tongues, can bring us all together and remind us that as humans and as Americans, we are all in this experience together and can assimilate into American citizens as well as citizens of the world and treat others with respect.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:02 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,721,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
I find it funny how some posters expect Mexicans in Mexico to understand English, yet few Americans know a second language and would cry in a uproar to be encourage to speak another Language.

In tourist areas and/or near the border: they might know a little....but other than that:

Habla espanol!

*too troublesome to input the upside down exclamation point and mark over the n on this keyboard*
Learning English is good for their economy.

Just imagine, what if most Mexicans speak decent English? They'll get a lot more tourist dollars.

If Nordic countries, Germany, and even Singapore can do it, why not Mexico?

Few Americans know a second language? You mean gringos? or U.S citizens? There are millions of U.S citizens speaking Spanish at home in California alone. Not too few in my opinion.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:36 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 934,050 times
For starters: most Americans and the current US administration look down on Mexicans.

And Mexico has better relations with other Latin American countries and most of Europe. The US is not the center of the world.

The US must end their egoism and assume that just because Nordic countries speak English, means it should not speak another language.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,415,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmom1950 View Post
Part of the reason is that we have few opportunities outside of school settings to use foreign languages, unless we personally know individuals or families who actively speak another native tongue. Most immigrants, whether first or second generations, tend to learn English to succeed in the US, just as immigrants a century or two ago learned English and eventually quit using their original language. I am not suggesting that the US should become officially bilingual as English has been our primary and official language since the Revolution.

Another reason few American speak a second language is arrogance--we think collectively that we--ie, native born citizens, are a step or two better than recent immigrants who speak a different language at least initially, even though originally all our ancestors, even those of Native Americans, were at one point in history 'foreigners.' I studied Latin, French and German in school but knew no one who spoke French or German out of class and have lost most of those languages over the years.

My kids took 3 and 4 years of Latin in HS which has been useful in the classics and literature as well as in their studies of pharmacy and law. One also took French and uses it when traveling in France and Belgium. Another relative studied Japanese in college and now teaches English in Japan.

Americans must overcome their sense of being superior when it comes to language as well as white race and European (ie, British) ancestry. When I traveled to China to adopt a preschooler 2 decades ago, I learned several Mandarin words and phrases so I could converse with the child as well as with store clerks and others who might not be fluent in English. I am sure I mispronounced much Mandarin but most Chinese understood what I was saying and I felt more confident being able to converse even limitedly in their own language. Just trying to makes both parties closer, and I loved being able to talk with my new child, who I might add was fluent enough in English within 6 months to plunge into kindergarten. Today I still remember more Mandarin than she does.

Sharing languages with other speakers, whether primary or secondary tongues, can bring us all together and remind us that as humans and as Americans, we are all in this experience together and can assimilate into American citizens as well as citizens of the world and treat others with respect.
The US does not have an official language.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,415,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmom1950 View Post

+1

Old 08-06-2017, 09:45 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,490,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Learning English is good for their economy.

Just imagine, what if most Mexicans speak decent English? They'll get a lot more tourist dollars.

If Nordic countries, Germany, and even Singapore can do it, why not Mexico?

Few Americans know a second language? You mean gringos? or U.S citizens? There are millions of U.S citizens speaking Spanish at home in California alone. Not too few in my opinion.
I think more money would pour into Mexico as well if English is more widely spoken. Ties would also improve.

La leyendra negra is strong in the anglo world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico