Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 09:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,410,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
For starters: most Americans and the current US administration look down on Mexicans.
"Americans" are a big melting pot of different races, nationalities and cultures. So it's possible a lot of those Americans that look down on Mexicans are from other countries themselves. Just some food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 01:20 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,999,544 times
I know this won't sell, but I would like to see the world adopt an artificial language or two-such as Esperanto-as a lingua franca.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:27 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,722,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
For starters: most Americans and the current US administration look down on Mexicans.

And Mexico has better relations with other Latin American countries and most of Europe. The US is not the center of the world.

The US must end their egoism and assume that just because Nordic countries speak English, means it should not speak another language.
Yet the economy of Cancun is dependent on American tourists. Who else can afford all the expensive resorts in Mexico?

Old 08-07-2017, 07:30 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,722,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
"Americans" are a big melting pot of different races, nationalities and cultures. So it's possible a lot of those Americans that look down on Mexicans are from other countries themselves. Just some food for thought.
He was probably referring to gringos?

Old 08-07-2017, 01:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,335,696 times
Why don't more gringos speak better Spanish?

Old 08-07-2017, 01:19 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,664,149 times
We were told by a lady that was hired to help the Spanish speaking people but instead ended up trying to teach us Spanish that they were incapable of learning English because they are so uneducated. LOL Therefore all employees were to learn Spanish for self-preservation. They brought their children into our public area and let them go wild. We had to learn a few phrases so we could ask them to please take care of their many children.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:00 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 934,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Yet the economy of Cancun is dependent on American tourists. Who else can afford all the expensive resorts in Mexico?
Cancun is one city out of hundreds or thousands of cities in mexico....Mexico City and Guadalajara (the two largest cities and possibly others) are not desperate for American dollars. They get tourists from everywhere else

Cancun is not the only Resort: there are Acapulco, Mazaltan, Puerto Vallatra, and among others on the Pacific Ocean and a few I have never been. They are a hit for Mexicans and other nationalities.

Last edited by FBF; 08-07-2017 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-08-2017, 09:19 AM

22 posts, read 44,591 times
Are you in China?

In most fairly big cities (of China), even middle school students can communicate well in English.

But in South & Central America, it seems very normal that people donot speak English.
I was once in Chile and asked for direction, very surprised the college student I was asking was very poor in English. The student is from a top Chil Uni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd be really surprised if that many staff at McDonald's in China speak English. Even where I live not all of the McDonald's staff speak English. And we're 10 minutes away from "English Canada" and 100 km from the U.S. border.

Why would you eat at McDonald's in China anyway?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:26 AM

22 posts, read 44,591 times
I can hardly understand your situ.
Did you take a midnight flight?

Ask the young people!
I can hardly believe it if you cannot get anybody to speak proper Eng with young people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
It's just not the most well educated people working for McDonalds. I guess you would find people working in very simple (education wise) jobs all around the world without foreign language knowledge. Of course, in many countries one foreign language is mandatory, but often it is not really teached intensively, people forget it or just don't care.

I am not sure if shop assistants in China do speak that much better english actually. When I have been to Shenyang, at the airport it was already difficult to find someone speaking proper english. We were looking for the bus or metro connection or taxi, and after struggling with like 10 people who didn't speak english, one young lady working for a bus service company helped us translating. Ordering food in McDonalds Beijing was rather like pointing on the food on the picture and handing over money instead of english conversation.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:52 AM

1,007 posts, read 888,163 times
I am not from Mexico but giving my 2 cents here North Americans or all English speaker should know that the INTERNATIONAL ENGLISH used as lingua franca is not exactly the language they speak at home.

Is so much easier understand someone who English is his/her second language than natives ones (these ones who don’t speak as native for lived long time in English environment).
Business Anglophone people also know to do the people understand them using English as lingua franca.

I think it would be a high school subject in English speak countries to help the average Joe in these lands learn that.

People who learn English as second language but have never lived at least six months or one year in an English environment don’t have the ears accustomed with the way that the words are spoken linked in informal conversations, of course they don’t know a big vocabulary, they know the most used words, they also have problems with slangs or regional harsh accents.

I am sure the OP here started speak with these staff people how if he was in a New York McDonald’s or somewhere else in USA. Of course an young Mexican girl ( I am assuming she is high school graduated) know the numbers in English or words like small, medium and big… But how this guy started a conversation how if he was speaking with an American girl she gave up try communicate with him in English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico