Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 09:37 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,240,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I was always going to ask is a Spanish speaking only tourist/traveler going to have an easier time in the US compared to an English Speaking only traveler in Mexico?

We can compare two different scenarios for this question. First is a Spanish speaking traveler whose travel confines of Southwest US and an English Speaking traveler sticking to states in Northern Mexico preferably one that borders the US. Second is a Spanish speaking traveler traveling in the interior of the US, and English Speaking traveler traveling to Interior of Mexico.
As a Mexican I have traveled through different regions of the United States and always, I have always found someone who speaks Spanish.

I try to speak in English but they answer me in Spanish, which is better for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 09:54 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,528,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
I don't know what to tell you. I guess it depends on social class and education, but most Americans visiting Barcelona do function in Spanish. They might know five words, but they are not language-shy. All Mexicans I know speak English, or working English.
This thread is just an attempt to look down on Mexicans for a dumb reason. OP is probably monolingual.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:57 PM

7,893 posts, read 11,448,153 times
Why do Americans speak so little basic spanish? Probably the same reason OP

Old 10-19-2017, 10:10 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,726,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
I don't know what to tell you. I guess it depends on social class and education, but most Americans visiting Barcelona do function in Spanish. They might know five words, but they are not language-shy. All Mexicans I know speak English, or working English.
When did they start to speak Spanish in Barcelona?

Old 10-20-2017, 01:55 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,020,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Probably every native Catalonian aside from possibly some very old people in isolated rural areas speaks Spanish/Castilian.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:32 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,240,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
since ever.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:53 AM

1,302 posts, read 686,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
That's where school should come into play. Don't McDonald's employees and security people go to school or they don't teach English or what? I mean they neighbour the most powerful country that speaks the most important language in the world. Therefore it's self-evident that being able to speak English is a no-brainer if you wanna have any success in life.
Well, Let us put it this way, California, Texas, Arizona New Mexico, Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada, Florida, all of them spoke Spanish before speaking english, the most powerful nation has not english language as oficial in fact New Mexico and Puerto Rico and California Have broad populations and some state laws specifying Spanish as Coofficial language to english.

Then it happens that there in USA are mor Spanish speakers than in Spain itself. Âżdid't they teach you spanish in your elementary school HumbleMerchant? it would be self-evident.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:43 AM

70 posts, read 97,435 times
I just wanted to add as a Mexican I agree with the people saying that In Mexico they Speak Spanish and In America they speak English it's just common sense. You don't expect to go a Mcdonald's in America and they understand Spanish or any other language besides English (Unless they Speak Another Language) It's just Common Sense. I speak English and Spanish fluently and I understand why they didn't speak English!

Old 10-30-2017, 10:53 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,119,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brymed View Post
In Houston I often run into Mexicans or other varieties of Latinos that do not speak English. They work in entry level jobs like McDonalds, etc.

When I lived in McAllen, Tx I encountered people that spoke English but communicated in Spanish. Their English was excellent. But, they refused to speak English unless it was necessary, like when they had to speak to me, a Latino who only speaks English. They also looked down on me and were insulted because I don't speak Spanish.
Don't feel bad. Many do the exact same thing to Americans in America who AREN'T Latino and don't speak Spanish. Pretty self-entitled.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 10-30-2017 at 11:10 AM..

Old 10-30-2017, 10:59 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,119,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Of course English is taught as a second language in Mexican schools. But as evidenced by the second language results in countries all over the world (including in Anglosphere countries, usually with Spanish or French ), just because you are taught a language for X minutes a week, doesn't mean you will acquire any skills in it. For whatever reason some people never retain much at all.
Great point. I took Spanish for 3 years in high school. I always made A's because I knew all of the answers on paper, but could not speak or understand Spanish to save my life. I didn't actually start learning Spanish to the point where I could speak and understand it---and eventually become fluent in it---until I started immersing myself in the language and culture, speaking Spanish with Latino friends and studying abroad and living with a Spanish speaking family in Costa Rica.

There's WAY more to learning a foreign language than just going to a class for so many minutes a week and doing a few grammar worksheets here and there, which is the extent of what most people get out of a foreign language class. That doesn't teach you how to speak and understand a language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico