Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 01:33 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times

Advertisements

I see in the local TJ paper El Imparcial that TJ had some tourists this weekend. Even though there are restrictions for non essential travel people are getting back and forth with relative ease.

I need to do a few errands in TJ :

Dentist
Possibly Pay Rent
Pick Up Supplies
Drop Off A Gift
Say Hello to Someone

At this point I am confused. Do I get to do this without risking my life and being infected with Covid or does this not happen at all for at least several months ?

I usually spend 2 weeks per month in Mexico and I miss it VERY MUCH but I don't know if I should give my little apartment up. Will I be back enjoying TJ's restaurants and crowded streets anytime soon ? Will I be flying out of the TJ airport by next winter ?

Someone I know likened TJ to NYC due to densely populated areas, crowded streets, apartment living. What do you think ?

At the moment I am just sitting in limbo wondering what to do

Are any of you going to TJ these days ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 03:29 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
I'm sure your risks are the same where you live as they are in Tijuana, so just decide are you willing to go outside in general or prefer to stay home longer. Life in Mexico actually seems a lot more controlled than in the US for the moment.

As for the border, you may not be allowed in. They are supposed to block you from non-essential travel. Not sure how strictly they are enforcing it, but for land borders its supposed to be very difficult to enter without a good reason. Airports seem to be easier to get through, but still I would have a good reason like a residence in Mexico, a resident card of some sort or maybe try saying you have a sick family member to see. Still you might end up hearing them say no, come back at the end of June.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:16 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
If you say that you're going to the dentist, they'll let you in, and I would also say that you're going to pay rent. If you say that you're just visiting, they'll turn you away.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:15 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
You never go what you got till its gone. I feel very wound up being holed up in Seattle. From what I have read the Canadian border will probably be locked down till 2021. I wonder what the snow birds in Canada will do when its winter and they are not allowed to go to Arizona or Florida for 6 months. Go and enjoy the blizzards and 6 months of terrible weather. See what a lockdown does for you mental health!!

I already have plane tickets for my twice a year visit to TJ in late Sept. I hope to God, the southern border is open up. TJ has been my mental health savior for years. Its such a fun place and different from USA which feels all the same to me at times.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
You never go what you got till its gone. I feel very wound up being holed up in Seattle. From what I have read the Canadian border will probably be locked down till 2021. I wonder what the snow birds in Canada will do when its winter and they are not allowed to go to Arizona or Florida for 6 months. Go and enjoy the blizzards and 6 months of terrible weather. See what a lockdown does for you mental health!!

I already have plane tickets for my twice a year visit to TJ in late Sept. I hope to God, the southern border is open up. TJ has been my mental health savior for years. Its such a fun place and different from USA which feels all the same to me at times.
Your border isn't really closed, but ours is, except for rare circumstances. By this winter? Who knows. Depends on the second wave.

People can still fly into the US. So I assume those who want to risk it may try that. However, the feeling I get from the snowbirds I know, is that they aren't going anywhere this year.

Blizzards for six months? Right.

What's unfortunate for you guys is the loss of spending by those Canadians. Canadians who visit Florida contribute more than $6.5 billion each year to the state’s economy. Add Arizona and SoCal and that is a fair bit of change.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:15 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Will they let you through? Or back in?

Old 06-15-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Will they let you through? Or back in?
Yes.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:59 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Has anyone ever been not let back in? I can see a quarantine situation once arrived, but haven't heard of USA refusing to allow USA citizens into their own country.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:31 AM

From what I've heard, no US citizen has been denied entry. As soon as I get back to work, I'll be making visits to my dentist every two weeks, and don't expect to have any problems coming back.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:42 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Is it confirmed México is admitting US citizens coming for dental work or paying rent? I have heard of dual citizens being held for additional questioning for trying to go see family and arriving by air. They were let in eventually, but they were given a lecture about not being "residents" so they could be denied entry even though they have Mexican passports
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico