Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 AM

911 posts, read 2,154,685 times

Advertisements

I never feel like i'm getting the real deal on Mexico, and I was hoping to get it here.
I'll just list my questions as opposed to making you guys weed them out in paragraph form...

Is the Mexican govt really as corrupt as a whole as the media (and ppl) make it out to be? (corrupt police, officials, courts, basically anyone in power incl. military)

How widespread is the crime in reality? Is all of Mexico unsafe, or at risk of becoming a warzone? We never hear about the places that are doing well.. i'd like to know if there are areas where you don't and won't have to worry about personal safety.

Are U.S. citizens particularly unsafe in Mexico? (I'm not just talking in tourist areas) Should one be concerned about being a U.S. citizen, living or visiting in Mexico?

Can you list some areas of Mexico that are upper class, middle class, and lower class, and give brief examples of what that means exactly? like if they have no food, if they live in mansions.. if they are comparable to avg. middle class here...

Thanks in advance for any info! Plz excuse my naivity i just don't know much about Mexico other than what I've heard, and i'm assuming there's more (or less) to the story lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
I never feel like i'm getting the real deal on Mexico, and I was hoping to get it here.
I'll just list my questions as opposed to making you guys weed them out in paragraph form...

Is the Mexican govt really as corrupt as a whole as the media (and ppl) make it out to be? (corrupt police, officials, courts, basically anyone in power incl. military)

How widespread is the crime in reality? Is all of Mexico unsafe, or at risk of becoming a warzone? We never hear about the places that are doing well.. i'd like to know if there are areas where you don't and won't have to worry about personal safety.

Are U.S. citizens particularly unsafe in Mexico? (I'm not just talking in tourist areas) Should one be concerned about being a U.S. citizen, living or visiting in Mexico?

Can you list some areas of Mexico that are upper class, middle class, and lower class, and give brief examples of what that means exactly? like if they have no food, if they live in mansions.. if they are comparable to avg. middle class here...

Thanks in advance for any info! Plz excuse my naivity i just don't know much about Mexico other than what I've heard, and i'm assuming there's more (or less) to the story lol

So you don't have to go just on hearsay:

MIG: Mexico Travel Alert (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html - broken link)

Travel to Cancun by airline would be safe enough, but don't just go wandering about in places you don't know.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 AM

Another:

Mexico

This spells out the places there are more safety concerns and general travel advice.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:05 AM

wow how sad..

Old 08-30-2008, 10:11 AM

291 posts, read 647,823 times
Default first hand answers from some that actually lives in MX

Quote:

If you are referring to "the entire system of government" not you be surprised to learn that there are people well-intentioned and corruption-free working for the government. But despite the changes there are still a lot of corruption, especially in the justice system and the police.

Quote:
Depends on which city to go. The crime is similar to the North American cities, even in the U.S. your not going to an gang area, right ?
There are some cities wich i only go if necessary for work, never for pleasure, these are: Mexico City, Juarez, Culiacan and Tijuana.
But I have visited other big cities and I felt very save walking on it as: Guadalajara, Monterrey, Saltillo, Morelia, Puebla, Merida, Cancun, Villahermosa, Veracruz, ETC.

Quote:
The insecurity affects us all has nothing to do with nationality. The North Americans are well treated in Mexico in general if they are well educated and treated against his Mexican side. Do not expect that if you misbehaved so haughty or rude you return a smile only because you are a citizen of the USA.
Take into account that Mexico is at war against Narco Traffic. So if visits Mexico visits to a country at war. Take that into account.

Quote:
In all Mexican cities as in the American people are upper-class, middle class and lower class.
- If you are upper-class live in a restricted area in a mansion with pool, landscaped gardens and private surveillance, 4 or 5 or similar Mercedes Benz cars and will have a very expensive lifestyle.
- If you are middle class live in a nice area in a house with 2 medium-size and compact cars have to work hard to pay for the education of your children.
- There are several kinds of poverty do not have to explain them but if you expect that been poor in the United States is to be rich in Mexico youre wrong all the way.

Quote:
Youre welcome

Old 08-30-2008, 11:35 AM

Part of the problem for Americans tourists though is that if they don't speak Spanish and don't understand the differences in Mexico and the USA, they can put themselves into danger without realizing.

You have to stay alert -- obviously Mexicans know when something doesn't seem right but how would an English speaking tourist know? Americans are used to thinking of crime being worse in the inner city and feel safe on the outskirts of cities, the suburbs for example, we know when we sense things in the USA don't feel right. Yet in Mexico the center of town might be the safest, some of the colonias on the edge of town may be no man's lands.

This is why tourists are more at risk no matter what country. Why in Florida, drivers of rental cars were targetted.

If you speak Spanish, the Mexican locals will warn you where you must stay out from. You have to be careful that you don't know the "signals", there are cultural and language differences that you may not know. Driving on interstates in the USA at night isn't a big deal at all, driving on Mexican highways at night is asking for it, certain ones are particularly bad.

For example a family here in the city I live, was traveling in Mexico -- apparently innocent travelers, there was a "checkpoint" set up, apparently extortionists looking for money from travelers (that is robbing them) and the mother's boyfriend decided to speed through the checkpoint and her 5 year old son was shot in the head for that. That boy was a nephew of a Catholic monsignor here. Now if they had just stopped and given up their money, probably everything would be fine but who knows.

The other problem with tourists is that some think of Mexico as a big vacation to Disneyland or a girls-gone-wild set. They get drunk, they think they can buy drugs. I think most of the crime on Americans in a place like Cancun is through stupidity or naivete. Girls thinking they can get picked up in some bar or wander about in a drunken stupor and nothing will go wrong for them, or not being cautious about date rape drugs put into their drinks, or not respecting different cultural norms regarding dress and risks that make for themselves. In other words, people making themselves targets.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:56 AM

man, that sounds terrible. i think i'll just appreciate Mexico from a distance, in photographs. hopefully one day things will turn around there. it's so beautiful, what a shame.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:37 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
I am sorry that you've gotten the impression of Mexico as "terrible"... As several posters said, it depends on where you are and how you behave. We've seen our share of 'Ugly American' behavior and those folks aren't regarded very well by the Mexican people.
We've driven all the way to Mexico's Pacific coast several times (as have our friends from the US and Canada) and never had any trouble at all.. We've driven the (lonely) altapistas, stopped and stayed in small villages and cities and never once experienced anything that would make us fearful.. In fact, one time we almost got seriously stuck while in our large motor home in a city with VERY narrow streets (Molina del Aqua, I think).. You would not believe all the folks who came out to try to help us.. On that trip we also stayed at Pemex gas stations (a suggestion made by lots of MX campers) and the workers were kind and helpful, too..

We think Mexico is as civilized as many places in the US. You just have to take normal precautions, don't drive unless you fully understand the rules/turning/light systems and especially don't drive at night. We live in Bucerias (near Vallarta) half the year and absolutely love it.. There's a large international community in the Vallarta area - and most happily mingle with their Mexican neighbors. Try visiting Puerto Vallarta - lots of great places to stay and if you want something a little quieter, try Nuevo Vallarta with many,many luxury hotels and gorgeous stretches of beach..

Old 08-30-2008, 02:50 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
It has changed a lot in the last 10 years. We used to close the bars here at 2 and head down to TJ. Wouldn't think of doing that now. Driving at night with 100 miles of the border down there is asking to be robbed of everything you have on you. The kidnapping in some of the above towns is rampant. So much so that any Mexican that can get the heck out is doing so. They only target wealthy Mexicans so for now if you are a tourist and fly over the hot zone/stay in your resort you are quite safe. Don't be stupid and wander around off the main streets at night and you'll have little to worry about. I think at any given moment there are 1 million American tourists in Mexico so don't feel that you are alone.

I won't drive down any more but flying into Cabo or the like is still a great time. Just be smart.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:02 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
We stopped crossing the border at Laredo after heavy duty travel warnings and went instead across at Piedras Negras/Eagle Pass without any troubles. Don't know if the drug situation has filtered to that location but we don't plan to drive down again anyway. Certainly many of the border towns now have major problems.. You just have to check the consulate warnings -- or fly..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico