Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:25 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

I am planning to drive my truck with California plates from San Diego to Ensenada this weekend. I have previously done this when visiting Rosarito beach without issues but someone has told me that I need some kind of deposit amounting to $800 if I go further than 16 miles south otherwise they will confiscate my car I have searched the internet and have found no such rule, can someone clarify?

I also want to know if it is dangerous in terms of car theft/vandalism to drive to Ensenada? I am having second thoughts and thinking I should just park at the border and take the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 03:50 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
I've lived south of Rosarito 12 yrs. You have no problem going to Ensenada. Have not been south of San Quinten for a while...not sure where they start to enforce the car permits further south. Used to be a Immigration/Customs stop east of Guerrero Negro but thats been long time ago. Stay on the Toll road (during the daytime) with no problem. Stefhen

Old 11-26-2008, 04:55 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
Mexican insurance necessary for driving past those 'checkpoints'?

Old 11-26-2008, 06:04 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
The purpose of the vehicle deposit was to ensure that you're really just a tourist and not planning on importing a vehicle to Mexico for sale.

I've got friends leaving this week for their annual 6 month winter stay in their house just North of Loreto. They've always advised me to not drive my car down there unless I needed to haul a lot of stuff, as they do for their extended stay. Their average road speed on the "highway" heading South is only around 35-40 mph (Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4 pick-up/camper rig), especially when towing their 14' fishing boat. They also caution to only drive during daylight hours for the two-day trip south of the border. Of course, Mexican car insurance is an absolute essential.

Based upon their long term experience with Baja travel, I'd advise you to use public transportation south of the border if you're going further than 80-100 miles south of the border unless you absolutely need to haul a lot more than a duffel bag or so.

Going to Ensenada, however, shouldn't be an issue as the highway is in good shape that close to the border; but heed my friend's advice for driving in Mexico: get short-term mexican car insurance for your trip and only drive during daylight hours. And don't venture into places that don't appear to be "touristy" unless you've got a grasp of the local customs, language, and local knowedge.

Last edited by sunsprit; 11-26-2008 at 07:11 PM..

Old 11-26-2008, 10:08 PM

Going past the Immigration/Customs...you need a valid Passport...Valid Visa...coche permiso (car permit)...Mexican Insurance. Have friends from here (south of Rosarito) who go down to Mulege twice a yr...they have a 5th wheel parked there. 20 yrs ago I lived in Mexico City and now 12 yrs in Baja so its been 15 yrs since I drove down to the tip and Mexico City. Enjoy your visit. Stefhen

Old 11-27-2008, 08:37 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
You're not traveling far enough south or staying long enough to need any special paperwork. Just be sure to get some Mexican insurance for your car in San Ysidro (you'll see the signs all over), before crossing the border. Mexico uses "Napoleonic law", which basically says you're guilty until proven innocent (or you have enough cash/insurance as security). Otherwise, even in a minor "fender-bender" where you're not even at fault, you can still get hauled off or impounded without proper insurance. Just a sensible precaution.

Otherwise, no worries, use reasonable care, and most folks, especially when you get south of T.J. are very nice and helpful, so you'll have a great time. The Rosarito area is more "gringo-landia", so if you get a chance, try to visit Ensenada and La Bufadora a bit farther south!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM

24 posts, read 85,504 times
In 2006 my girlfriend and I during a summer road-trip drove down to Los Cabos. We passed a dozen or more checkpoints and were never asked for our tourist papers, proof of Mexican car insurance, or anything other than ID (some points didn't even ask for ID). This isn't to say that you shouldn't get insurence (you should), but just that it's very laid back. I believe Ensenada is the last place you can get your tourist papers (it's where we got ours) and traveling as far south as Ensenada without them is fine.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:24 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
We lived in Cabo for years, and drove back up the "arm". You'll be fine. I'd stick to the main roads and get Mexico insurance. Ensenada isn't that far. Get past Rosarito ASAP (during daylight) as TJ is experiencing high crime right now.

My husband's from Mexico City but his dad lives in Otay. They don't leave the house these days once the sun goes down. Sad...

Old 07-03-2009, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,015 times
If I am driving to Cabo and flying back do I have to check in south of the border so I have papers to leave when I fly bak to the states?

Old 07-03-2009, 05:41 PM

You were supposed to have a visa when driving the truck to Cabo. Getting on the plane at San Jose del Cabo airport...they will ask for your Passport and/or visa showing how you arrived in Cabo since the trip is a one way ticket to the US.

If you took a plane to TJ then you are still within the country...no problem...they will still want to see your passport and visas...just take a taxi to the border and walk across with passport in hand.

One time I flew from TJ to Mexico city and back...(parked my car at the airport)...$10 a day for 2 weeks $140 bucks. They still wanted to see my Visa and passport being an American on Mexicana National (local) flight and not International.

Good luck... Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico