Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 04:52 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times

Advertisements

Is Baja the best area to live in Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 04:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
Sur or Norte? I prefer the desert of BCS as opposed to the border areas of BCN. It may be a long time before I get the chance to live there on a more or less full time basis Que Lastima.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:18 PM

22 posts, read 79,026 times
there's been some problems with land acquistion for u.s. even with stuart title, people have gotten screwed, crime as well, ur a target ALWAYS. For your money id stay in san diego county.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:20 PM

272 posts, read 1,510,077 times
Default Maybe. Maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Is Baja the best area to live in Mexico?
That depends on what you want in retirement living. Desert or green? Lots of other gringos or not so much? Larger city with plenty of services or small community? Close to the USA or don't you care? And does expense matter?

Tell me what you like/need/want and I can give you a better idea of where might be the best place for you.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,039 times
Default todos santos

what can anyone tell me about Todos Santos?
I know there is GREAT surfing, an artist colony and its cheap
now how about the bad stuff. I am thinking about moving there and need to know the bad along with the good any help apperciated

Old 07-06-2008, 02:47 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
Going down Baja, you get stopped at a Immigration/Customs east of Guerrero Negro on the way to Santa Rosalia. This is going south and coming back up north. They will check your Visa date validity and your Passport. Do not overstay or your in trouble. They have 90 day; 180 day max. ok twice in one callender year. They check you driving or flying. Have done both. Once I was 3-4 days over my 90 day Visa on way back but was allowed to continue as it was the fault of the ferry scheduling at the time and not my fault. Still, be carefull. Steve

Old 07-15-2008, 02:03 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,120 times
Love Todos Santos! So lush with palms and gorgeous beaches. Great for whale watching right from the beach.

You can still do some free camping at the various beaches, but things are changing fast, so try and see if quickly before all the changes .. such as huge condo complexes, houses, etc.

It's more of an artsy place, but lots of the usual tourist fare for sale. Some great cafes and restaurants, .. cheap and expensive.

The Todos Santos Cafe is a cute little place just off the main drag with a cute courtyard and great food and coffee. Known for it's breads and cinnamon buns, but itsn't cheap!

There's an excellent taco stand on the main street, up the hill more .. more often than not, this is where you'll find the best food and the cheapest.

They have two very high-end restaurants there, famous for good food .. one being the Hotel California and the other an Italian one that I can't remember the name of. Haven't had the luxury of eating at either one actually.

If you go there, ask for directions to the beach, going through the little town of Todos Santos .. through the palms to the ocean. That beach is one of the best beaches I've seen, and during whale season (February) the best place to watch whales.

I love the west coast and the wild water and waves that comes with it, and the town itself is very cute. I'd say it's one of the favourite places in Baja from the huge amount of gringos living and visiting.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:09 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelforeverAndEver View Post
what can anyone tell me about Todos Santos?
I know there is GREAT surfing, an artist colony and its cheap
now how about the bad stuff. I am thinking about moving there and need to know the bad along with the good any help apperciated
This past year, some cops on the take or 'whoever' are targeting surfers especially, with surf gear on top of their vehicles, and robbing them during late evening or early morning hours when least amount of traffic on highway. This is happening mostly between Tiquana and Ensenada. Many stories of people held up with weapons, robbed and a couple of women raped .. in more isolated areas or driving during late evening and early morning.

Just be careful and drive only during daylight hours, picking your spot to pull over for the night beforehand. Don't leave yourself in the middle of nowhere, make sure you stay in a little town somewhere, motels are cheap .. around the $40/night mark.

Todos Santos you can still camp on the beaches for free, and areas where it's safe. But hurry! Won't stay the same for long.

Safe travels!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:19 PM

529 posts, read 2,393,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
This past year, some cops on the take or 'whoever' are targeting surfers especially, with surf gear on top of their vehicles, and robbing them during late evening or early morning hours when least amount of traffic on highway. This is happening mostly between Tiquana and Ensenada. Many stories of people held up with weapons, robbed and a couple of women raped .. in more isolated areas or driving during late evening and early morning.

Just be careful and drive only during daylight hours, picking your spot to pull over for the night beforehand. Don't leave yourself in the middle of nowhere, make sure you stay in a little town somewhere, motels are cheap .. around the $40/night mark.

Todos Santos you can still camp on the beaches for free, and areas where it's safe. But hurry! Won't stay the same for long.

Safe travels!
We made this mistake recently when driving back from Ensenada, ended up cruising through the southern part of Tijuana where the road goes down a hill and curves up to the right towards the border (many of you know exactly where I'm talking about) about 4am. Got pulled over, for NO reason, and the pseudo-cop (I say pseudo because he wasn't wearing a name tag and his police didn't have lights) told us we were speeding and demanded immediate payment.

Luckily my mother-in-law was with us and she speaks fluent spanish (and is from Mexico) and he basically let us go with a 'warning' once he realized we weren't your run of the mill Americans.

Last time we'll try to beat the rush at the border!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico