Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 07:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

As an "ex-californian" banished to the middle of nowhere I dearly miss the great authentic mexican food that was available. Here the only way to get good mexican food is to do it yourself.
I've gotten quite adept at carnitas but would love some other popular recipies so I can make more "real deal" meals instead of americanized mexican food.
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 05:51 AM

30 posts, read 236,224 times
Thumbs up MOLE POBLANO - Or Anything by Rick Bayless

The greatest Mexican dish of all time, I believe, is Mole Poblano. Mole well made has a super-sophisticated combination of flavors. You can savor a taste of it and describe all the "notes" that it hits, similarly to a wine connoisseur describing fine wine. My recipe for Mole follows below.
The best and most authentic book of recipes I've found for Mexican food (beautifully adapted for use by US cooks) are in the books by Rick Bayless. His first book, Authentic Mexican, is just that.
For every day type food, my personal favorite is Lomo de Puerco en Salsa Verde (Tomatillo-Braise Pork Loin), from his book "Mexico, One Plate at a Time). Here is the recipe online, courtesy of Rick Bayless. American Grassfed Association - Pork Recipes (http://www.americangrassfed.org/recipes/pork/index.html#7 - broken link)

For a special occasion (great around the holidays, because it looks so Christmas-ie) is Chiles en Nogada, a truly life-alteringly amazing dish (Chiles en Nogada Recipe | ifood.tv).

Finally, here is my recipe for Mole Poblano. I received it I went to a one week cooking class that came with my accommodations at a boutique hotel, Mesones Sacristia, in Puebla, Mexico. (I've noted where I've adapted to for my personal preferences. It's still pretty authentic, even with the adaptations.) FYI: Puebla is the heart or center of Mexican cuisine, and taking a class there was a great way to learn how to make exquisite mole. (My BFF and I made a girls-only trip out of it, and it was a very affordable vacation. We were also the only two people in the "class", given by the hotel's chef, an assistant and a translator.)

Mole Poblano

Ingredients

2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 large white onion, quartered
10 medium plum tomatoes, whole
2 chile ancho
3 chile pacilla*
1 to 2 plantain (platano macho), very ripe, peeled and sliced lengthwise
3 to 6 Tbsp lard or bacon grease (veg. oil can be substituted, with a slight loss in flavor)
1 round of Mexican chocolate or more to taste (such as Ibarra brand, 2.3 oz), roughly chopped
1 corn tortilla
chicken breasts, poached in salted broth
½ to 1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. chicken bouillon, powdered
½ tsp salt (or to taste)
½ cup ground toasted almonds or peanuts (Shortcut: use SMOOTH peanut or almond butter – look for products whose ingredients are nuts only; any type of nut can be substituted.)

Roast the onion, garlic and tomatoes using a dry grill, skillet, or Mexican comal over medium heat, turning frequently, until browned. (OR broil using the method Rick Bayless describes in his books for US cooks.)

Remove stems and seeds from the chilies. Heat 1 to 2 Tbsp lard in a skillet.** Fry chilies over medium heat until the color of the chilies changes to orange and then a deeper brown. Place roasted vegetables and fried chilies together in a saucepot and cover with water. Simmer until soft. Transfer contents to a blender, adding some of the cooking liquid, and liquefy. (Reserve remaining cooking liquid.)

Heat 1 to 2 Tbsp lard in a medium sized pot or Dutch oven.*** Strain the liquefied mixture through a sieve directly into the pot. Add reserved liquid and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While the sauce is simmering, carefully toast a corn tortilla over an open flame until it has become at least 50% blackened. Heat 1 to 2 Tbsp lard* in a skillet. Add the plantain pieces and fry until browned on both sides. Place tortilla, broken into pieces, along with the plantain and ½ cup water into a blender or food processor, and liquefy. Pour mixture into the simmering sauce, whisking constantly to ensure no lumps are formed.

Add the sugar (which can be adjusted to taste****) and the chocolate pieces. Continue to stir the sauce with a whisk, watching out for lumps. Add the crushed chicken bouillon and salt. Also add the ground almonds or peanuts, if you are using them.

Simmer the sauce for at least an hour or two, or “for as long as you can” as this improves its flavor. Mole may also be reduced to a thick paste, if desired, which when sealed in an airtight container can be refrigerated for up to 6 months. Reconstitute with water and reheat when desired. (Sauce which has not been reduced may be refrigerated for up to 1 month.) To serve, pour the mole over a warm, poached chicken breast. Appropriate side dishes are refried beans and red-style Mexican rice.

NOTES:
*Chile mulatto may be substituted for chile pacilla. Mulattos give a black color to the sauce.
** If seeking to lower cholesterol in the dish, use vegetable oil. The same oil used to fry the chilies can be used to later fry the plantain.
***If seeking to lower the fat content of this dish, omit lard and strain sauce directly into pot without added fat. (Personally, I omit the fat in this step. FYI: When this recipe elsewhere calls for lard, I use bacon grease if I am really going for “max flavor”. Otherwise, use vegetable oil.)
**** My tendency is to add just ½ c. sugar, but add 50% more chocolate than indicated in this recipe.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Thank you MSALEX, funny I was just looking for a good Mole recipe and this one looks good!
I'll check out the Bayless book.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:06 PM

27 posts, read 93,992 times
Good afternoon jimj,
I am at home having major with drawals due to the fact this is the first winter in 40 years that I have not been able to be in Mexico and I do not like it ! I , probably, cook about 90% Mexican and most of it are recipies I have brought home with me as it is so easy to find most ingredients in the US. now. I totally agree that Rick Bayless books are some of the " easiest " to follow and his recipies are very close to the original. Even better than his books are his set of discs with hands on instruction on exactly how to make each recipe right from "cut and chop". They can be purchased incividually or the set. I love, love, love these as they are also great intertainment for me just to watch as they bring back lots of memories. Click onto: Frontera Grill and it should come up . If you have a problem let me know and I will give you more information that I do not have with me at this time. You will not be sorry, they are to good to be true and will leave you with no questions. Enjoy.....!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:21 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbaseball View Post
Good afternoon jimj,
I am at home having major with drawals due to the fact this is the first winter in 40 years that I have not been able to be in Mexico and I do not like it ! I , probably, cook about 90% Mexican and most of it are recipies I have brought home with me as it is so easy to find most ingredients in the US. now. I totally agree that Rick Bayless books are some of the " easiest " to follow and his recipies are very close to the original. Even better than his books are his set of discs with hands on instruction on exactly how to make each recipe right from "cut and chop". They can be purchased incividually or the set. I love, love, love these as they are also great intertainment for me just to watch as they bring back lots of memories. Click onto: Frontera Grill and it should come up . If you have a problem let me know and I will give you more information that I do not have with me at this time. You will not be sorry, they are to good to be true and will leave you with no questions. Enjoy.....!
I love his Yucatecan tamales...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico