Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:19 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,175,095 times

Advertisements

So what would it cost for me to see a doc in Mexico to simply fill out a prescription duplicating a prescription in the U.S. for a painkiller with a narcotic? Like Tylenol III's with Codeine?

Does one have to pay a doc in Mexico $60 for a visit just to get a prescription?

How cheaply can I get a doc to write out a prescription for me in Mexico?

I'm talking a legitimate doc mind you.

I don't care about them evaluating me or otherwise giving me their scholarly advise. If a doc in the U.S. has given me a prescription and through my own research that prescription seems called for...that's good enough for me.

I just need to save money and just want to jump through the hoops Mexican side as cheaply as possible.

Carlos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:03 PM

972 posts, read 3,929,000 times
Go to any of the ¨Farmacias Similares¨ and ask for a consultation with the doctor, it will cost you no more of $50 pesos. (4dollars).

Regards...

Old 06-24-2009, 04:02 PM

923 posts, read 1,432,277 times
I have a question:
Say I want some Amoxicilin. I know I can get it in Mexico but don't you need to show a prescription to bring it back into the states? How do you bring your's back?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:32 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,954,131 times
Lets be a little realalistic here.

What Doctor is going to write a prescription for a particular medicine (narcotic or pain pills) without an examination to see if the person warrants said prescription. The answer is "NONE".

After yrs of medical school etc they would be crazy whether it be in the US or MEXICO.

In my specialized field I would command $48 an hr (15 yrs ago). But since your a nice guy and trying to get by real CHEAP I will only charge you $7.00. (Heck with the education and training).

Same could be said for a brain surgeon who would say command $15,000 for an operation but since your a nice guy and trying to get by CHEAP I will only charge you $350.00. (Heck with the education and training).

Now do you see the stupidity in your request?

Steve

Old 06-24-2009, 05:20 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,382,573 times
No doctor is going to risk losing their license writing a prescription for you with what you want. Medical school isn't cheap, and no doctor is just going to prescribe narcotics to you without a complete exam, and maybe more than one complete exam. Like I said before, your best bet is to go to one of the income subsidized clinics here, that's what they're for. I can't imagine any doctor having an unknown person walk in their office and want a prescription for narcotics duplicated.

That's sheer stupidity on your part! Put yourself in the doctor's place, would you do that?

Last edited by moved; 06-24-2009 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
I have a question:
Say I want some Amoxicilin. I know I can get it in Mexico but don't you need to show a prescription to bring it back into the states? How do you bring your's back?
All medications have to be declared at the border. You don't need a prescription for OTC drugs. But if you're trying to bring an excessive amount back, you'll have a problem.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:26 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,174,316 times
Problem is the OP may not have any idea what Tylenol 3s will do in the long run. It may take care of the pain initially but do you know how screwed up some of your organs could get?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 AM

972 posts, read 3,929,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
I have a question:
The doctor will not give you what you want.

Even in consultation with a doctor of ¨farmacias similares¨ the cheapest, the doctor will examine you and decide which is the best medicine for you and prescribe.

You can tell that a medicine has worked but the doctor will have the final decision to prescribe medication.

Another thing: You must be able to speak spanish, because not all the doctors speak english in Mexico.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:06 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,175,095 times
This thread is getting a bit confusing. Not sure what people are reacting to or if they are, to something I said, it's perhaps to a phantom problem I never even mentioned.

I never said walk into some doctors office, ask for this narcotic, be given a prescription, and walk out to get it.

For sure...that's just silly.

I am talking about my first having a prescription in the U.S. from a doc, then going to Mexico with that prescription in hand, having a Mexican doc look it over, ask me some questions or whatever they feel comfortable with and then giving me a duplicate prescription for the same thing but for Mexico.

Also...please do not assume that I am naive about medications or their complications. I am perfectly aware of the dangers of overdosing on Tylenol III's (the codeine part is relatively harmless in comparision). How it can permanently damage your liver and even lead to death. And how there is some risk, although very small, that a person may be the kind that reacts to Tylenol altogether badly even if there is no overdose.

I have been on various pain killers before for various things. Thankfully I have no chonic pain. And Tylenol III's with Codeine is about the best all around painkiller I have ever used. If I had stayed in Canada I would have probably gotten just the codeine part the next time I needed a pain killer to prevent any complications at all from the Tylenol part.

I even once tried Oxycontin but just one little pill knocked me out and made me so "stoned" that I couldn't function properly...though my pain did go away.

I don't like taking any medication if I can help it but if I need to...it's nice to know that I have some supply of pain killers available. I miss being able to go to a doc for free in Canada and being able to get a doc to give me a reasonable prescription for a pain killer there. Without the fuss and the hyper paranoia there is in the States about controlled substances.

Of course I wouldn't go back to Canada at this point just for the ease of getting medical care up there .

It strikes me as ironic that despite all the paranoia down here, the U.S. still has one the worst drug problems in the world. End user wise.

I was even told by an ER nurse down here that docs don't like giving out prescriptions with narcotics because such prescriptions go on their record. Of course what this nurse said to me overall in other things leads me to think this particular nurse was a bit off in some of what they said...but still...the paranoia persists at least in perception if the actual fact of such paranoia is perhaps a bit less so.

Carlos

Old 06-25-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
No doctor is going to risk losing their license writing a prescription for you with what you want. Medical school isn't cheap, and no doctor is just going to prescribe narcotics to you without a complete exam, and maybe more than one complete exam. Like I said before, your best bet is to go to one of the income subsidized clinics here, that's what they're for. I can't imagine any doctor having an unknown person walk in their office and want a prescription for narcotics duplicated.

That's sheer stupidity on your part! Put yourself in the doctor's place, would you do that?
No doctor anywhere, whether it's across the border or in the US, is just going to ask a few questions, and then give you a prescription for narcotics without at least one complete exam or more. I'm going to stress the fact that even with a prescription from a Mexican doctor, I wouldn't risk bringing narcotics across the border. Even the Mexican doctors don't like to give out prescriptions for narcotics, unless it's absolutely necessary. But you can buy Tramadol over the counter which is a non-narcotic pain reliever that's a prescription in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico