Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,507 times

Advertisements

On the yahoo question section someone asked how much nurses were paid in Mexico and the answer surprised me because they said it was the minimum wage. I also have an uncle in a small city about 20 minutes from Celaya, Guanajuato whose a civil engineer with a degree equavalent to a bachelor's in the U.S. and I was appalled to learn he too was paid around the minimum (somewhere between 1,500-2,500 pesos every two weeks); he's working on a master's though which he claims will get him a higher salary. Is this true for other professionals? I don't think it's fair that people who are fortunate enough to get an education are paid so low upon entering the workforce.

However, I realize these are merely anecdotal examples, I found another website which claimed Nurses were paid anywhere between $22,000-104,000 USD a year in Mexico, so is the website wrong or were the people answering in yahoo section mistaken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:55 AM

972 posts, read 3,926,162 times
It depends, some companies pay well and others badly. 'S decision to each person to choose what best suits.

There are professionals who earn in Mexico as in USA, but there are others who accept any wages regardless of their years of study.

But the best paid in Mexico, it's politics. Fabulous salaries, do nothing and have nearly always safe.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
It depends, some companies pay well and others badly. 'S decision to each person to choose what best suits.

There are professionals who earn in Mexico as in USA, but there are others who accept any wages regardless of their years of study.

But the best paid in Mexico, it's politics. Fabulous salaries, do nothing and have nearly always safe.
What is the minimum wage in Mexico. I've seen different numbers from different sources. One site said the minimum wage was 51-54 pesos a day depending in what zone you lived in, but the numbers don't add up. When others mention minimum wage as the case with nurses in the yahoo question section they used 1,500-2,500 pesos per 2 weeks which would be equivalent to 150-250 pesos a day not 51-54.

Anyway, I find it hard to believe nurses would be paid as low as 1,500 pesos per 2 weeks when another uncle of mine whose a cashier at a clinic (in small city) was paid 2,200 pesos per 2 weeks (this was 3 years ago, who knows if he's had a raise since then). How can a cashier at a clinic be making more than newly employed and trained nurse? Perhaps the following site is more reliable on their salaries which claim they are paid $423 USD a week at the low end and $2,000 USD a week at the high end.

link: Nursing Jobs in Mexico

Old 07-11-2009, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 13,863 times
I am a systems engineer and work for one of the big companies, I win 1500 Dlls the month. I work monday thru Friday 8 hours a day.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:03 AM

972 posts, read 3,926,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
What is the minimum wage in Mexico. I've seen different numbers from different sources. One site said the minimum wage was 51-54 pesos a day depending in what zone you lived in, but the numbers don't add up. When others mention minimum wage as the case with nurses in the yahoo question section they used 1,500-2,500 pesos per 2 weeks which would be equivalent to 150-250 pesos a day not 51-54.

Anyway, I find it hard to believe nurses would be paid as low as 1,500 pesos per 2 weeks when another uncle of mine whose a cashier at a clinic (in small city) was paid 2,200 pesos per 2 weeks (this was 3 years ago, who knows if he's had a raise since then). How can a cashier at a clinic be making more than newly employed and trained nurse? Perhaps the following site is more reliable on their salaries which claim they are paid $423 USD a week at the low end and $2,000 USD a week at the high end.

link: Nursing Jobs in Mexico
I dont really know the nurse enviroment, but I guess in Mexico, be a nurse is not = to be a professional; Its more like a technic work.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:32 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,933,822 times
I have NO idea what nurses get paid in Mexico or the work (hrs) schedule involved be it the day or week.

Do know that based upon my personal knowledge having lived in Mexico 16 yrs...people work 6-8 hrs (maybe) a day and receive a daily wage or a weeks wage (5 day).

I was married to a Mexican national and lived in Mexico City along with a step daughter and her little daughter.

An older sister would come by every morning just after 7 AM and they would go to work in the same office of a large Govmt owned company. Between 3-4 PM they were home from work for the day. Allowing travel time of 30-60 mins each way and the usual 1-2 hr lunch period...guess how many hrs are worked during the day.

Based upon this and having seen other experiences I can understand the low daily wage.

People in the states do not understand the lifestyle and work ethics of those in other countries.

Without first hand knowledge a person should not believe everything they hear or read.

Nothing negative meant here...just a personal observation.

Steve

Old 07-11-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by churoxxx View Post
I am a systems engineer and work for one of the big companies, I win 1500 Dlls the month. I work monday thru Friday 8 hours a day.
The salary would be equivalent to $375 USD a week. Is that enough to live in a nice middle class neighborhood and have other essentials such as internet, satellite TV and cell phones?

Old 07-11-2009, 03:58 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
The salary would be equivalent to $375 USD a week. Is that enough to live in a nice middle class neighborhood and have other essentials such as internet, satellite TV and cell phones?
No. Or at least, wouldn't be in Oaxaca.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
No. Or at least, wouldn't be in Oaxaca.
Hmm that's unfortunate. I was thinking of moving to the city of Puebla one day, but if people are not paid well then I suppose I should stay here where they pay Nurses over $25 dollars an hour (starting wage).

Old 07-12-2009, 11:35 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times
My wife is a nurse practitioner, I wonder if anyone knows whether she could start a local clinic? Licensing? What does it cost to go to the clinic in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico