Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM

14 posts, read 36,402 times

Advertisements

i was reading through my thread asking about the spanish colonization of mexico and travelling fella mentioned that in many latin countries (both in europe and latin america) the law enforcement is lax on certain people such as those who trespass beyond a certain point or avoid paying a turnstile tax.

is there a certain term for this action?

and, how is this possible and why is it able to occur in these countries?

can someone also describe it with more details?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 02:04 PM

972 posts, read 3,926,773 times
why more details? all resume in CORRUPTION...

Old 07-27-2009, 02:08 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,440,037 times
It's easy to describe, we enjoy life, we are laidback cultures, law is not black and white.

In other countries if you break a rule you are a criminal and you deserve a punishment and the rejection of the society, but in Latin countries it depends on the graveness of the fault.

Latin cultures are usually flexible, where laws are a reference but not absolute, they serve as basic guideliness but common sense has to apply in ever specific case, otherwise they would be asphixiating.

Sometimes it could be corruption, but not in all the cases, sometimes it's just the way we are and thank God for that, people are usually happier and feel more free.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:12 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,507,929 times
This is why people in the US have such a twisted definition of "freedom", after traveling the world US is not free, it is a highly litigious, capitalistic, rigid system.

Unfortunately true freedom can be chaotic.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
This is why people in the US have such a twisted definition of "freedom".
Unfortunately true freedom is chaotic.
Yes, but the chaos found in Spain, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Italy, pales in comparison to the chaos found in India, that's chaos!!! our countries in my humble opinion are quite well balanced, too much rules and regulations can be equal to neurosis imho.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:35 PM

14 posts, read 36,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Yes, but the chaos found in Spain, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Italy, pales in comparison to the chaos found in India, that's chaos!!! our countries in my humble opinion are quite well balanced, too much rules and regulations can be equal to neurosis imho.
is this laxness in society based on some unwritten rules that have been passed down in society for generations or is it something that just has to be learned or is it a result of something else?

i find it hard to comprehend why, as it has been mentioned, some law authorities in spain (and perhaps other latin countries) could allow some people to place their bare feet in a public water fountain.

BTW, is there a word or phrase that exists that can be used to describe this laxness in society that's found in latin countries?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
is this laxness in society based on some unwritten rules that have been passed down in society for generations or is it something that just has to be learned or is it a result of something else?

i find it hard to comprehend why, as it has been mentioned, some law authorities in spain (and perhaps other latin countries) could allow some people to place their bare feet in a public water fountain.
I guess it is that, it's based on some unwritten rules that have been passed down.

I don't know if it can be learnt, perhaps yes, specially by people who like to be free and relax and just enjoy life without having to worry al the time about behaving properly, or speaking in pollitically correct ways, etc.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:29 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,939,081 times
There are many different laws in each country and NO two are the same.

In one country a person can do many things that most in the populace indulge doing...this is freedom.

Another country the same doings are considered a violation of the law and warrant a money fine (ticket) as a source of revenue for the powers that may be. This is NOT freedom in the word sense.

I will not name any particular country...readers only have to think carefully.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico