Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:59 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, I was prospecting for real estate, mainly around PVR, ACA and CUN. Then the drug violence escalated out of control, the economy began to tank, and so I did not loose interest, but stopped looking, especially until my wife and I learned our fate in regards to employment.

So, our jobs appear secure, and now have began to look again, but I now have added Campeche and the area to my list. I wanted to see if anyone out there has any information on what the area is like, living, expenses, real estate values, etc.

Initially it will be an investment property, but plans would be to live there when we retire. Any information is appreciated. I am a dual citizen, so owning property on the beach is not a problem for me.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 09:24 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Relatively expensive and very much a company town feel due to Pemex dominating the economy. I visited once a friend that was living there, she said it was quite boring to live there, but I thought it was quite scenic. Didn't really do any investigation on prices because she said it was nearly double the cost to live there than Veracruz. Much like Veracruz the beaches aren't all that great because of the abundant oil and shipping business there.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:36 PM

6 posts, read 28,174 times
Hello,
I am actually running out to Campeche in about 10 days! Going out to do some real estate investigation and research myself so this might be very interstging for you. My name is Thomas Lloyd and I live in Playa del Carmen Q. Roo,. If you go to my web site you will see that our group has only just opened up a new section for Campeche. Mexico Real Estate - Mexico for Sale - TopMexicorealestate.com

As it is very new, we only have a half a dozen property options but the two that I found in this short time period has caught my attention, one being a fixer upper colonial structure for less than $100,000 usd!!

I am also running out to see some beachfront properties which also has my interest at high levels. I will be posting my trip out to Campeche on my blog and this might be very very interesting for you as I will be taking pictures and jotting down the areas I visit and discover. Mexico real estate blog

If you can get in touch with me, write down your questions or whatever you would find interesting for me to research or check upon while I am in Campeche, I would be happy to try to find the answers. I do know I will be visiting some incredible Mayan ruins such as Edzna, and visiting a fishing community called Chompton as they say the make some killer ceviche.

talk to you later - TL

Old 01-25-2010, 07:06 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Great!

Any info you find would be welcomed. I sent you a PM.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 PM

No problem... in fact I am getting excited about my trip out there. Campeche has the reputation of being the cleanest city in Mexico. cheers! - Thomas

Old 05-16-2010, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,974 times
I purchased some beachfront land there in Nov. '09. I believe it is actually part of the same land that Mr. Lloyd is selling now. Not sure what Willy702 is referring to as I found the beaches clean, untouched, and stunning (picture powder soft, white sand). In fact I really couldn't believe that they were selling land like that there so cheap. Cheap enough that it made me be double dilligent in checking it out prior to purchasing. I believe as long as you stay NE of Ciudad del Carmen there is little likelyhood of issues with the oil industry ruining your beach as that is where the industry is centered and the prevailing current runs SW. As for Campeche, I'm starting to look there for an old colonial to restore. Incredible city with some amazing potential for investment. The beachfront has already appreciated a good bit for me (which is saying something when everywhere else you're lucky to maintain value) and I believe there is good potential for colonials in the city as well. As with most things, I wish I could have got there 5-10 years ago but I believe there's still some good values to be had even at todays prices. If you want any more info I'm happy to supply it.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:57 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Strange...TL has not come back with any positive info since his last post in Jan...wonder why???? If things were humfy dory then there would be all kinds of acalades made.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 PM

sorry for the delay, fortunately I received an email notification from the last post from Steve ... i think the other notifications got lost in my inbox???

Some good stuff going on out there in this region. I have written several articles on my blog on the trip to this region since my post captured above...click here to see some photos and info. campeche real estate

you can also find more detailed information on Campeche real estate information from Bob McCain who has been very busy in the region.

Last edited by Thomas Lloyd; 05-17-2010 at 09:41 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 10:18 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
I have lived in Mexico for 17 yrs now...Mexico city and now Baja. Have driven thru Baja to Cabo many times and also thru the mainland but not to Cancun etc.

Granted there are many places with certain specific advantages...all a matter of personal preferences.

Climate/weather/temperature has a large bearing on where to stay/live.

With the Mexican coastal waters a Non Mexican person would have to have a Bank Trust and pay a fee each yr of occupancy. Some Legal matters to contend with.

Did read up a little on some of the places for sale...many needing renovation due to the extreme weather conditions. Many know of what I speak.

Regardless do wish luck to those that care to venture towards Campeche.

Steve

Old 05-19-2010, 10:14 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Lloyd View Post
No problem... in fact I am getting excited about my trip out there. Campeche has the reputation of being the cleanest city in Mexico. cheers! - Thomas
In fact, it's the city's slogan. Doesn't make it true. It's pretty average for a Mexican city.

I lived in Campeche (city) back in 2001, and was last there in 2004. It's actually quite dull. It's a city of 200,000 that feels like 10,000. There's only one truly poor area (Esperanza), but it's very small. The rest of the city feels fairly middle class (by Mexican standards). There's very little upper class, and the ones who are there hide their money well. My host family was among them.

Campeche's population is relatively low, and there are miles of land along the Gulf of Mexico that have nothing on them. Some sections of the water (particularly between Campeche and Champoton) are as crystal clear as the Caribbean, while others are fairly dull. If you want beach front, I would suggest looking there - south of Seybaplaya, but north of Champoton.

If you want a very relaxing place to retire and spend your days lounging around the beach, Campeche would be good for you. If you want culture, museums, or something lively, look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico