Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:51 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times

Advertisements

When I started this thread my main objective was to hear from Mexican citizens WHY they would want to leave their native land to a country that doesn't always welcome them with open arms. The problems North of the border have been discussed ad nauseum. The problems South of the Border causing people that probably love their native land very much to leave is what I want to hear about.

Thirty years ago I was in the trucking business and I hauled a lot of equipment to the border and did some traveling on the South side in smaller villages for the most part. I was impressed by what I observed except for the catering to the SINS of U.S. tourists in some border towns. However I never blamed Mexican citizens for that but degenerate U.S. citizens. I feel the same way about the current loss of life in Mexico caused by warring drug factions. I don't think these "wars" are being fought over the competition to sell drugs to Mexican citizens. If you live in the U.S.A and use illegal drugs you have blood on your hands. The next time you light up a joint or sniff that line of white powder or whatever you might stop and consider the problems you are causing.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM

186 posts, read 611,795 times
Here's something I just read. Keep in mind, I'm a middle class Mexican Citizen living in the US. As much as I love this country, if you gave me the option to come here again I may decline.

On to what I read. A newspaper reported that a member of the Gulf Cartel organized a meeting with the biggest insurance companies in Mexico (Bancomer, Banorte, etc.). The purpose of the meeting was essentially to blackmail them. He told them that they would pay him (or his Cartel) to leave them alone. If they refused, he promised one death DAILY for a year (car accident, house fire, etc.) which would make the corporations pay more than if they paid him off directly.

In simple words, this man publicly threatened to blackmail the biggest insurance companies in Mexico, without fear of law enforcement of government interference. The companies appear to be trying to fight against this, but at this point it seems like a losing battle.

If this isn't enough to want to leave, even for middle class citizens, I don't know what is. I hope my country can solve its problems.

Link to Spanish article.
:: LOS TUBOS - Noticias Monterrey (http://lostubos.com/verNoticia.php?Cve_Noti=16866 - broken link)

Old 05-25-2010, 11:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
The illegals I know don't pay any taxes. They work as independent contractors - cash and don't bother filing an income statement with the IRS.

They come because it's easy. That's the biggest reason. It's very easy to come here illegally and find work. The money here is easier, the work is easier. It's easier to come illegally than it is to fill out papers and wait in line. If they have children in the USA, it becomes easier yet because there are all kinds of welfare handouts in the USA that don't exist in their own country. And they're very easy to obtain. Just give birth and most would have done that anyhow - and the welfare handouts start rolling in -- very easy.

Many don't originally intend to stay in the USA forever - they originally planned to return home sooner or later but it's so very easy to stay and they get kind of settled in, and staying in the USA becomes easier than returning home so that's what they do.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 AM

Every now and then you come across some Mexicans who truly love their country - no matter what - and you cannot help but admire them. Too often in the USA, we see only those who abandoned their country, almost always just for the lure of big money -- but if you look hard enough, but you almost always of course have to look in Mexico itself for them, there are those who don't want to leave their country, they love it - just like we love ours. They are the future of their country, it's hope. I hope they stay strong.

I saw this one today - a commentary after this article:

‘Nunca más vuelvo a venir a Juárez…’. | Diario.com.mx

clauerin
--- hay que echarle ganas, les mando este mensaje a los verdaderos juarenses que nos ching... trabajando, aqui en nuestra ciudad, sabemos que la cosa esta dificil, a mi me toco el muerto en las torres, pero ni loca dejo mi cuidad donde naci, fui a la escuela, me case, tuve mis hijos, he salido al extranjero y no es igual, amo mi cuidad y mi trabajo es educar a mis hijos para que en un futuro las drogas no los afecten, ahora te pregunto a ti, que haces tu por JUAREZ??

Old 05-26-2010, 12:24 AM

This is turning into an illegal immigration thread. Mods, please watch this one closely. It going in a bad direction.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:24 AM

Also, have a look at this chart. It's dead on.
http://reason.org/files/a87d15508538...458f116079.pdf

Old 05-26-2010, 08:18 AM

469 posts, read 1,257,160 times
970diego, thank you for both of your most recent posts. I downloaded the excellent, informative, and accurate linked file and will share it for educational reasons whenever possible.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:01 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,193,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 970diego View Post
That chart is an excellent and fun (sort of) explanation of the process!! I suspect this (the incredibly complex, lengthy procedure) is the reason those "unskilled" workers, with virtually NO chance of coming in legally, circumvent the system. I suspect, too, that many "skilled", professional workers might have more allegience to and choose to stay in their own native countries (?).

In our family's case, my Mexican daughter-in-law (a teacher w/ degree) still had to jump through many hoops to finally obtain her green card. The process took about two years, lots of paperwork, many long-distance drives for interviews along with a substantial expense --- and SHE fits the criteria for the supposedly easiest entry.. That said - although still in violation of immigration laws - it's understandable why so many desperate people just slip across the border. They're virtually left with no hope of being able to come in legally.

Thanks for posting the chart!

Old 05-26-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970diego View Post
Except that the USA has by far more legal immigrants living in it than any other country on earth -- so it's obviously quite easy, easier than immigrating to most other countries.

Legal immigration is good - but it can't be just a free-for-all. It should not be about getting the greedy class it's ultra cheap labor, it should not be for just one group of people but a variety of ethnicties. It shouldn't be just about a get rich quick plan for the entire world, but a way for people who truly want to become part of another people to do so. That means the immigrant should show a desire to learn the language - or preferably already have learned it, and want to assimilate.

I agree the family chain migration makes things very unfair, there should be reforms so that fewer come in by family connections and more are brought in by employer sponsors.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:15 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
I can think of a reason. For many, it isn't working for them in Mexico. For those who feel like they cannot make it in Mexico, they will leave to find a place where they feel they can make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico