Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:47 PM

469 posts, read 1,256,888 times

Advertisements

How about the full name of Los Angeles, California... "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula."

I hear a lot of scammers and criminals live in El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula. But with a long city name like that, no one would be surprised.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
If you're in Mexico, that's fine. The United States of America isn't Mexico. People in the U.S. don't have the need to have 10 different name combinations unless they're a con artist.
People illegally in the USA would tend to be scammers - and they'll use whatever is convenient -- it doesn't matter what that is. By definition, they don't respect the laws of the USA - so why would you expect them to stop at scamming in other ways?

But it does not apply to those people in their own country who might be the most honest law abiding individuals anywhere on earth.

You can't compare illegals with people who love their own country, live and work to make it better, and respect our laws.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM

186 posts, read 611,615 times
Why does every thread seem to turn into an immigration discussion?
Multiple names = illegal scamming Mexicans.

I don't see the logic.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
People illegally in the USA would tend to be scammers...
Illegal presence here clearly does not equate to poor moral character such as scamming... and I assert that the very opposite is true, generally-speaking.

People residing illegally in the USA would tend to be decent and compassionate and good (wanting to provide for their families in their home countries despite extreme personal risk and hardship), industrious and hard-working, law-abiding (to maintain low deportation exposure), strong-willed, ingenious, valiant, and humble. That is the true nature of the bold and brave and noble who take risks for those they love.

To characterize illegals as scammers sounds offensive when not supported by fact, and seems very distasteful and rude to me. As an American citizen, I am more concerned about our own attitudes of self-righteousness and lack of compassion toward our neighbors by our citizens. First look within...

Show me the US citizen who has never done an illegal act, whether speeding in a car, cheating on taxes, or... whatever. Generalized judgments against illegals without understanding are nothing but vapid and irrelevant opinions.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 AM

I get SO tired of generalizations about Mexicans, about illegals, etc. on here. ("Criminals, scammers, welfare-abusers, etc.) These sorts of remarks are rude, divisive, and even could be considered racist or hateful. It become unpleasant to read the same old judgments over and over... and puts a dark cloud over this forum. The hostile and inflammatory nature of such generalizations and bashing seems classless and I wonder about its appropriateness within the TOS context. Really, it is hard to stomach these sorts of discussions, and even harder to ignore and not refute the questionable premises each time another thread gets hijacked. I hate to abandon an otherwise nice forum, but have just about reached my limit with the tone of a few that ends up dominating and causing so much friction here. Anyone else agree?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
lots of confusion.
they place an order as gomez but then try to do the pick up as gonzalez.
lots of angry words bek their order is not there.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:57 AM

186 posts, read 611,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
I get SO tired of generalizations about Mexicans, about illegals, etc. on here. ("Criminals, scammers, welfare-abusers, etc.) These sorts of remarks are rude, divisive, and even could be considered racist or hateful. It become unpleasant to read the same old judgments over and over... and puts a dark cloud over this forum. The hostile and inflammatory nature of such generalizations and bashing seems classless and I wonder about its appropriateness within the TOS context. Really, it is hard to stomach these sorts of discussions, and even harder to ignore and not refute the questionable premises each time another thread gets hijacked. I hate to abandon an otherwise nice forum, but have just about reached my limit with the tone of a few that ends up dominating and causing so much friction here. Anyone else agree?
I'm with you 100%

Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
lots of confusion.
they place an order as gomez but then try to do the pick up as gonzalez.
lots of angry words bek their order is not there.
With my countless friends and extended family members who are here illegally, I have NEVER seen anyone use anything but his/her FIRST last name for any daily activity or general purpose... EXCEPT sometimes when filling out applications or legal documents. Seriously – and I speak with decades of business, personal, and family experience.

Placing an oder for food and then a half hour later using a different last name to pick it up? Very, very implausible. (Why would anyone have ordered and picked up using different names, anyway? Maybe the order taker just misunderstood 'Gómez' for 'González.') I wouldn't lose much sleep over it, regardless.

It seems to me that some will go to great lengths to perpetuate absurd points and to be right about trivialities. It's truly unfortunate that animosity toward a group of people can generate and justify such negativity. This whole post is nonsensical and should be closed.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:54 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
i get so tired of generalizations about mexicans, about illegals, etc. On here. ("criminals, scammers, welfare-abusers, etc.) these sorts of remarks are rude, divisive, and even could be considered racist or hateful. It become unpleasant to read the same old judgments over and over... And puts a dark cloud over this forum. The hostile and inflammatory nature of such generalizations and bashing seems classless and i wonder about its appropriateness within the tos context. Really, it is hard to stomach these sorts of discussions, and even harder to ignore and not refute the questionable premises each time another thread gets hijacked. I hate to abandon an otherwise nice forum, but have just about reached my limit with the tone of a few that ends up dominating and causing so much friction here. Anyone else agree?
+2

Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
lots of confusion.
To those who are 'confused' by Latin American naming conventions, consider this:

1. Would a caucasian named 'Mary Ellen Smith' also confuse you because her first name is Mary Ellen? Or would the name 'Billy Ray Cyrus' cause distress? (Why not just Billy or Ray?)

2. A typical Latin American name has NO MORE names than we typically see used in the United States. Reason? Latin America does not use a middle name. So instead of John (first) David (middle) Green (last), a Latin American name might be Ricardo (first) Chávez (paternal) Pérez (maternal). So you see, there are NO MORE names typically than here.

3. When you think about it, the Latin American naming convention actually could be considered LESS confusing than here, because it identifies the individual with greater precision. Latin American families will ask, "Do you mean María Sánchez Martínez or María Sánchez Flores?" And that tells you to which family Maria Sánchez belongs.

I actually like that Latin American tradition honors BOTH the father and the mother with their names. I wish we had the same tradition here, and I changed my name legally to do that very thing.

Instead of condemning other cultures for their traditions, isn't it better to enjoy and appreciate the diversity of the world? Do we REALLY want everyone to be a clone of our way of thinking??? I think Americans can stand a healthy dose of confusion... it might serve as a wake-up call that we are just ONE cultural perspective in a world of many... none of them right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.