Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 12:10 PM

758 posts, read 2,241,724 times

Advertisements

This is for Mexicans, or foreigners living in Mexican cities only. This may look like it's beating a dead horse... but I actually want to hear people's PERSONAL ties to specific towns and how they've changed due to the escalating violence in Mexico. How has it not? Is it life as usualy in your town? Is it topsy-turvy? Cancun... long reviled to be a safety oasis, recently had it's mayor indicted on drug trafficking charges, revealing a network of drug dealers in the area?

For me, a native of Juarez, it's a lot more interesting than just what you see in the news.

Interestingly enough... people still live and work in Juarez. Recently an aunt of mine passed away and I really loved her a lot... so I forced myself to go to Juarez. (This was actually last week) The style of life is absolutely different, no doubt. People don't want to be stuck in traffic because theres a higher likelyhood that you'll be a victim of an asalto. You go to the grocery store fully aware that your car may not be there when you get out. Cell phones are an absolute must, and must be answered immediately... otherwise people think something has gone wrong. There are more and more neighborhoods that are off limits. There are some weird silver linings in all of this. People started to get to know their neighbors a lot more recently. Before, Juarez was almost U.S. city in the sense that people didnt really know their neighbors all that well... but that has changed. Juarez neighborhoods are now extremely close knit, and people are ever more vigilant in their communities. Violence still happens, but response times are quicker.

Oddly enough... people just got sick of hiding out. You see people walking out in the streets. Plaza Juarez Mall was PACKED the weekend I was there, movie tickets sold out. One of my uncles owns 3 apartment complexes and he said its business as usual. Whenever a tenant leaves, there's always 5 more to choose from. He has build high walls around them and hired a guard, but other than that, still the same. Parties still go on a lot... but people only invite extremely close friends and family members... they are less apt to make new acquaintances because any friend could be a potential narco, and a potential liability to you and your family.

You look at Juarez on the surface and it just looks like it's desperately trying to be a normal city. Decent roads, etc... but underneath is an ugly ugly reality, that many Juarenses just don't want to know about.

How about you? (Again this is not for debate, I just want to hear about life in other cities)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 07:34 PM

972 posts, read 3,926,383 times
I guess life must go on....

Monterrey were I live since I born, 35 years ago, always was a very secure big city, but now you have to be more cautious, the nightlife is slow down, and you must check even when you are driving to avoid clashes with narco or military convoys.

There's fear but also hope this ends in 2012, when with a new president we can have a better strategy in this war were no citizen was consulted to enter.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
There's fear but also hope this ends in 2012,
Whew!! I almost thought you were going to bring up the Mayan calender for a second there.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 AM

ha ha....

Old 05-31-2010, 07:12 PM

758 posts, read 2,241,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
I guess life must go on....

Monterrey were I live since I born, 35 years ago, always was a very secure big city, but now you have to be more cautious, the nightlife is slow down, and you must check even when you are driving to avoid clashes with narco or military convoys.

There's fear but also hope this ends in 2012, when with a new president we can have a better strategy in this war were no citizen was consulted to enter.
Critizing the president... or blaming him for everything is one of our national passtimes. We'll save that for another thread.

Are there checkpoints throughout MTY?

Old 05-31-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Critizing the president... or blaming him for everything is one of our national passtimes. We'll save that for another thread.

Are there checkpoints throughout MTY?
Well the president is the responsible for this fail strategy.

No checkpoints in MTY, only persecutions, that are worse

Old 06-01-2010, 01:50 PM

186 posts, read 611,747 times
Well, my "town" is Mexico City, so it's not really a town. As for drug violence, It doesn't seem to really be any worse than it used to.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,192,739 times
In the Puerto Vallarta area where I live half the year, the only change (which is pretty dramatic) is the slowdown in tourism because of media reporting on drug violence - a thousand miles away on the border. I so wish reporters could be more specific and not brand ALL of Mexico with their "stay away from dangerous, drug infested Mexico" warnings. This has caused un-told hardship on so many businesses, both the big hotel corps and smaller enterprises.
Yes, we've said it before many times - but it's like saying stay away from the coast of Florida because there are dangerous gangs operating in Detroit or NYC!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,438,946 times
I live in Mexico City as well, not much has changed here, we are more concerned with traffic jams and things like that

Old 06-02-2010, 03:57 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,882 times
My partner's from Tijuana and most of his family still lives there. From what he's heard from them, things have calmed down quite a bit this year after an explosion of violence last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico